Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

18 hours ago, Xela said:

As harsh as it seems I'd gladly see England lose the Ashes 5-0 if it kicked the ECB into some radical thinking about how to save the red ball game in the UK 

The red ball game is dying all around the world and will continue to do so. the ICB need to totally reform the test cricket calendar and have more test matches that actually matter as oppose to the nonsensical system that exists at the moment. There needs to be some serious decisions made about the future of cricket but as per usual in all sports the corrupt, incompetent powers that be are just interested in themselves and money. 

Jason Roy and Jos Buttler. No more test batsmen than me and the Queen of Sheba are. Wonderful ODI/T20 players, never FC/Test class. 

Its like asking a beach footballer to play in the premier league. 

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

The red ball game is dying all around the world and will continue to do so. the ICB need to totally reform the test cricket calendar and have more test matches that actually matter as oppose to the nonsensical system that exists at the moment. There needs to be some serious decisions made about the future of cricket but as per usual in all sports the corrupt, incompetent powers that be are just interested in themselves and money. 

Do you think it is dying quicker in England and Wales as opposed to the rest of the world? We don't play red ball cricket in the summer anymore... its shoehorned in at the start of the season and the end. We simply can't find 6 good batsmen in the UK to put in the test team. 

Jimmy Anderson said ideally after getting back from his injury he would have played a game to test himself but there was simply nothing for him to play in so he went straight into the first test and got injured straight away. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

To be fair, the Queen of Sheba's difficulties seem to be in the gender department. ;)

Did you just assume their gender?! :P

• Haha 1

A cricket umpire has died, one month after being hit on the head by a ball during an amateur match. John Williams, 80, from Hundleton, Pembrokeshire, was flown to hospital after being struck with the ball during a match on 13 July. He was taken to the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff, where he was placed in an induced coma. On 1 August, he was transferred to Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest, but died two weeks later. Mr Williams, who was secretary of Hundelton Cricket Club, was officiating a Pembrokeshire County Division 2 match between Pembroke and Narbeth when he was hit by the ball.

Pembrokeshire Cricket tweeted: "Sad news this morning regarding umpire John Williams."

"John passed away this morning with his family at his bedside. Thoughts of all of Pembrokeshire Cricket are with Hilary and the boys at this difficult and sad time."

Robert Simons from Narberth Cricket Club, who was the other umpire at the Pembroke-Narberth match, said:

"He was a grand gentleman, truly a gent from a cricketing point of view, and he gave up a tremendous amount of his time for the sport."

"I mean, he was willing to officiate even in his 80th year."

"It's very, very sad. The whole of Pembrokeshire cricket would say the same of him. There's not many of them around. A marvellous chap."

"I was officiating as the other umpire... It was traumatic."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49355870

How sad.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Do you think it is dying quicker in England and Wales as opposed to the rest of the world? 

Nope, the opposite if anything. People turn up to watch test cricket in England, every where else bar Australia and maybe south Africa the grounds are empty for test matches. 

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Anybody watched the KP documentary on Sky? You can watch first two episodes here: https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/11708568/kevin-pietersen-the-story-of-a-genius-on-sky-sports-cricket

Whilst appreciating that KP was a great cricketer, he also comes across as being extremely arrogant. (Just an opinion of course). The way he left Hampshire to be nearer London sums him up for me. Did you all know that in his early career he played for Cannock ! I don't think I have heard him acknowledge the help he received from them - and the club is now in dire circumstances. Added to all this is ...... my wife loves him !!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

KP is a funny one. He often makes a good point, but he's so profoundly irritating and arrogant when he expresses his thoughts, he sounds like a dick

I don't like KP either, but the documentary is superb and well worth a watch. Nasser Hussein is exactly the right interviewer. Thick skinned and fearless, but fair. He asks KP some tough questions. It's not a hagiography at all.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Xela said:

Jason Roy and Jos Buttler. No more test batsmen than me and the Queen of Sheba are. Wonderful ODI/T20 players, never FC/Test class. 

Its like asking a beach footballer to play in the premier league. 

Buttler averages 32 in first class cricket. I think he has hit 5 hundreds. Woakes is more of a test batsman than him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

KP is a funny one. He often makes a good point, but he's so profoundly irritating and arrogant when he expresses his thoughts, he sounds like a dick

Never like him but I appreciate him more now hes stopped playing. He has an axe to grind!

31 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Never like him but I appreciate him more now hes stopped playing. He has an axe to grind!

I've always thought Swann came across as more of a dick who I'm pretty sure I'd have hated if I shared a dressing room with him.  I don't really like teams where you're expected to be the identikit player and confirm to everything so reckon I'd have liked KP in my team and gone the extra mile to keep him onside.  But then I work with someone with similar traits to what KP is supposed to have and I'd happily smash his head in with a spade.

Â