Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I've mentioned on here before, I used to play cricket when younger (quite decent!). I once came up against somebody who could bowl at 90mph. I went from somebody comfortable batting to wondering how brown would look on white 😂.

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

I never knew a sub could bat! When did that rule come in?

I think it might have been last winter in Australian domestic cricket, then incorporated into county cricket and recently Tests.  This may be the first time in Tests but I'm not sure.  It's only for concussions though.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

I never knew a sub could bat! When did that rule come in?

Think it’s only for concussions. But it’s pathetic that the Aussies sent him back out to bat and were allowed to say it was a delayed concussion. 

20 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Unless you ban the bouncer I'm not sure what you want?  .

I' m not being didactic about this; it is just my opinion that certain fast bowlers go out with the intention of hurting the batsman. I expect I am in the minority but if a batter is just beaten outside off stump or on the stumps for sheer pace then great bowling. But I have seen, over the years, bowlers who really seem to aim for the batsman's head. Thomo was one but was a tad wild and it could end up bouncing over the keeper for 4 ! Holding and Ambrose seemed (to me) to actually aim for the head. See Brian Close on YouTube. I don't know if you can equate it to football; for instance Peter Withe was a hard Centre forward but I don't think he ever intended (or actually did)  hurt anyone. Fashnu on the other hand was simply a thug.(see Gary Mabbutt) . I guess you will never ban the bouncer though 'cos it is obviously a useful weapon in a fast bowlers armoury - I'm just not that keen.

Â