Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Maybe he just needs a much longer break. Now he's out, I imagine that's possibly it for him for a long time. They will give Leach a fair chance and we aren't going to be playing two spinners any series soon, so it's just white ball cricket he has, if he doesn't lose that place. Back for the 20/20 games then. 

Bears just scored 119/9 in their innings against Notts. Only Hain and Sibley into double figures. Feel sorry for those two. This has to the worst batting line up in my lifetime. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

Maybe he just needs a much longer break. Now he's out, I imagine that's possibly it for him for a long time. They will give Leach a fair chance and we aren't going to be playing two spinners any series soon, so it's just white ball cricket he has, if he doesn't lose that place. Back for the 20/20 games then. 

If that were the case why would you play him in the first test?

What happens if Leach is injured? Do they go to someone else or do they go back to Moeen?

My point is that there doesn't seem to be enough thinking about the Test side. This is the Ashes. Unfortunately, that seems to matter little to the ECB, the England set up and the selectors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

He will be back. They will no doubt give Leach this series but the pressure will be on him being the only spinner in the side. 

The thing with Mo is that he bowls wicket-taking deliveries but if it's a wearing pitch and you're relying on the spinner to bowl most of the overs and win the game he just isn't good enough.  For now we need a spinner to spin it away from Smith and if Mo can't bat in the top 7 then he has to make way.  I quite liked the idea of Mo and Rashid in the team even if Rashid was only there to bowl googlies at the tail.  Tails wag so regularly nowadays like in the first Test that real pace or wrist spin are worth picking just for that.  Rashid is injured now anyway.  If they are to move on I'd like Virdi from Surrey to get a go this winter.

He has been good enough though and won test matches on many occasions. His record against Australia isn’t good though and he’s zero confidence or even desire at the moment so rightfully Leach gets his chance. 

Rashid doesn’t want to play test cricket just white ball cricket so how can you pick him.

Rashid should never be picked for test cricket as he has effectively retired from first class cricket at Yorkshire. 

Didn't someone say Ali has taken more test wickets in the last 12 months than anyone else in the world? He is woefully shot of confidence now though so right to give him a break.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2019 at 11:37, Xela said:

Rashid should never be picked for test cricket as he has effectively retired from first class cricket at Yorkshire. 

Didn't someone say Ali has taken more test wickets in the last 12 months than anyone else in the world? He is woefully shot of confidence now though so right to give him a break.

Yes he has at an healthy average  of 25. 

• Like 1

As harsh as it seems I'd gladly see England lose the Ashes 5-0 if it kicked the ECB into some radical thinking about how to save the red ball game in the UK 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xela said:

As harsh as it seems I'd gladly see England lose the Ashes 5-0 if it kicked the ECB into some radical thinking about how to save the red ball game in the UK 

You wouldn't be saying that if you were an Englishman living in Australia!

England to bat first. Fingers crossed we're no more than 1 or 2 down by lunch....

5 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Ah Jason Roy, I really rate him as a batsman but a test opener he isn’t...and never will be. He plays at every ball. Leave the bloody thing alone!!!! 

I think there's some merit in dropping Roy down to 4 in place of Denly, and bringing in a proper opener. Problem is of course that every opener we try is hopeless.

• Like 1

Â