Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

What is root doing bowling archer to death. Woakes one over so far. 

Sounds like he was shattered at the end which will lose his effect later in series. When Johnson destroyed England he only bowled about 5/6 overs at a time

Considering 2 days were washed out it came suprisingly close to a result.

Archer was brilliant, but a bit annoyed with Broad and Woakes - too many balls the aussies could leave. They had to get them playing everyball, runs conceded were never going to be an issue. As good as Leach bowled at times there were also a few too many nothing balls from him as well.

2 minutes ago, andym said:

Considering 2 days were washed out it came suprisingly close to a result.

Archer was brilliant, but a bit annoyed with Broad and Woakes - too many balls the aussies could leave. They had to get them playing everyball, runs conceded were never going to be an issue. As good as Leach bowled at times there were also a few too many nothing balls from him as well.

How many overs did Woakes get? No point picking him if the captain dont bowl him. Has a great record for England at lords too. 

On 18/08/2019 at 03:15, Xela said:

Buttler in now.. c'mon Jos, prove me wrong! 

Good innings from Jos - plenty of time at the crease, playing himself back into a bit of form.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sounds like he was shattered at the end which will lose his effect later in series. When Johnson destroyed England he only bowled about 5/6 overs at a time

Johnson back then was recovering from injuries and time out of the game, and was into his 30s. Different kettle of fish. You had to keep bowling Archer really, he was simply too good not to. But yes, you can't bowl him like that all the time!

On 18/08/2019 at 06:11, Zatman said:

People want hard but fair game. The lack of remorse is what people are upset about

Most disgusting of all was Smith was booed off by fans. Must have been Chelsea fans attending 

Pretty poor effort to boo an injured player. Boo him on to the pitch at the start of his innings by all means, but after he's just been smashed in the head? Hmmm.

People perturbed by Archer's reaction would do well to remember the last Ashes series down under - Cummins smashed one into Root's helmet, and Lyon charged in to the wicket pumping his fist, laughing at Root and congratulating Cummins. Archer simply walked back to his mark.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Pretty poor effort to boo an injured player. Boo him on to the pitch at the start of his innings by all means, but after he's just been smashed in the head? Hmmm.

Absolutely.

I've no problem with the pantomime booing of Smith et al. or the singing of songs about them (though I think the songs have reduced in frequency with the weight of runs he's scored!) but as he's going off injured or when he came back out to resume his innings? That's really shit.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, veloman said:

Well, Warwickshire look like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory(hope I'm wrong - one day to go). I realise Somerset are a damn good side but something not right at Warks !

A lot of injuries, a lot of young players. No surprise really! Probably benefit long term by trying these youngsters. 

17 hours ago, PaulC said:

A lot of injuries, a lot of young players. No surprise really! Probably benefit long term by trying these youngsters. 

I take your point but  if it wasn't for Notts , "long term" could be in division 2 ! I am still at a loss as to some of the departures, particularly Barker. Left arm , could bat a bit, just don't understand . I know Chopra wanted to leave so fair enough but ......

2 hours ago, veloman said:

I take your point but  if it wasn't for Notts , "long term" could be in division 2 ! I am still at a loss as to some of the departures, particularly Barker. Left arm , could bat a bit, just don't understand . I know Chopra wanted to leave so fair enough but ......

Yes I’m not in the know anymore but letting barker go was a strange one. Obviously Trott retiring was a big loss, then bell being injured. Hain hasn’t been the player I thought he would be in red ball cricket. Still time though. Bowling looks incredibly inexperienced and weak now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I know it rains up North  all year bur surely organising an Ashes match in the North was not a great idea

fixed

glorious sunshine today in sunny Surrey

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I know it rains all year bur surely organising an Ashes this late in summer was not a great idea

No choice with the World Cup. 

Â