Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

It’s gone. Don’t think Buttler is a test batsman. But there’s quite a few you can say that about, Root is a poor captain. Take the responsibility off him so he can concentrate on his batting 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It’s gone. Don’t think Buttler is a test batsman. But there’s quite a few you can say that about, Root is a poor captain. Take the responsibility off him so he can concentrate on his batting 

Buttler is talked up as Root's long term replacement as captain I believe so I don't see him being removed from the picture

Archer should be fit for the next match, so he might shake the Aussies up a bit , he can replace the injured Anderson   ... add Foakes  to strengthen the keeping department and let Bairstow bat at 4 instead of Denly  and we've got a slightly stronger team for the second test  ..If we could accommodate a Curran as well then even better

Roy I guess will have to be given more than one test but I'm not convinced he is a test match player

• Like 1

All over (as if it wasn't before lunch).

Who do you drop for the next test? You could make arguments for Roy, Denly, Buttler, Bairstow and Ali. Archer for Anderson is a given. But **** hell. Shitshow.

I wonder if it is reasonable to claim that a number of these 'stars' (Buttler, Bairstow et al) are , in fact over rated. Whilst admitting a tiny bit of bias England don't have players with the Test skills of , say, Bell or Trott. Also , the loss of Anderson (who perhaps shouldn't have been picked anyway (due to fitness not ability) was a huge loss and even his greatest supporters might admit that Ali is just a wicket down. Not really knowledgeable  enough to come up with sensible alternatives (apart from Archer) but Curran must be in with a shout or indeed Leach.

Thoughts ?

We were 2 quicker wickets away from winning this match comfortably in the first innings. There's not too much wrong with the side, but you can see the lack of red ball cricket patience. Roy's wicket was ridiculous, but I back him to reign that in and to adjust. I'm not sure what Denly offers that couldn't be improved by shifting the order and bringing in Curran instead. I would drop Mo and consider Leach. Archer in for Anderson next Test, maybe you could try Sibley. I'm note sure

Burns, Roy, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, Curran, Woakes, Broad, Leach, Archer for next test. Assuming Jimmy is injured. 

If you bring in another opener instead for Denly you could do

Burns, Sibley, Root, Roy, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, Woakes, Broad, Leach, Archer. 

The collapse on day 5 is most frustrating, as generally, unlike some recent series' the match didn't succumb to the usual pattern of one side starts well, and the other just gives up after 4 sessions. This did ebb and flow. Need to work out how to get Smith out early though. Do that, and the complexion changes quickly. 

• Like 1

The problem is the lack of patience from players and this is not just an England thing. Too many players want to chase the game instead of waiting

Its 2 pretty weak batting teams for me

yes, take Steve Smith out of there to anchor the match and it's over one way or another inside 3-4 days I reckon. Root seems to be really struggling at the moment as well. Aside from a century in the winter series ( v Sri Lanka? ) he has a habit of not sticking in as much as you need him to. Ok, Kohli, Smith and Williamson - the usual reference points are all supremely talented players, but he is the Andy Murray of that quartet. Very talented, but a bit shy of that level in terms of consistency. 

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Burns, Roy, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, Curran, Woakes, Broad, Leach, Archer for next test. Assuming Jimmy is injured.

I like the idea of that team   .... but that said Bairstow had a bit of a shocker with the gloves , I know he has the ear of the selectors and kinda stomped about until he got the gloves back last time around but Foakes should really be a given at keeper  but  unless you drop Bairstow or Butler you can't easily accommodate him .. and I just don't see either of them being dropped

if we go 2 -0 down then they might shake it up but other than that I think we will just see Archer for Anderson as the only change for now

• Like 2

Yes, I don't think they will themselves make drastic changes. Foakes should find a way in the side, and then tell Bairstow to just focus on batting - which has been crap of late - but he is an undroppable sadly, which is weird as surely in theory, an area where we are well stocked with middle order options could be more conducive to rotation but there we go. 

I'm not sure how we go to Lords with only Ali as a spin option though given his current form and confidence. Ok it's been his batting that has been shocking, but the low confidence from one skill inevitably seems to be spilling over into his bowling now. 

It will depend what the pitch is like there though, we need to hope it speeds up and benefits our pace bowlers. However, Woakes at Lords has to be a certainty given his form there. He's even been got out less often this series than Smith 😛

Â