Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Buttler gets us so close.. but then gets out the ball after getting his hundred. Going to be tough chasing these last few without him, he needed to be the one to keep the run rate in order. 

3 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Pakistan, you just have no idea what they are going to do on any given day, How are you supposed to prepare for them?!

would say hour. They are so unpredictable its crazy. Wouldnt be surprised it they lose the next match by 7 or 8 wickets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Unfair to blame one player but Ali cost us that game imo.

He couldn't be more out of form with the bat at the moment.

He was the only bowler that turned up. We lost it because of our bowling and fielding. We had to set a new record for a team chasing in the World Cup. 

• Like 1

Best bowler though.

6 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Interesting that as his batting gets worse innings by innings, he's developing into a really good front line bowler. Indeed, our best bowler yesterday by a mile.

Roy's dropped catch cost us far more than Moeen's batting did!

6 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Interesting that as his batting gets worse innings by innings, he's developing into a really good front line bowler. Indeed, our best bowler yesterday by a mile.

Roy's dropped catch cost us far more than Moeen's batting did!

There were individual incidents that you could point to of course but those can be put down to "one of those days!". Moeens innings wasn't one of those days its an ongoing problem and him trying to play himself in and then inevitably getting out to stupid shot was exactly what we didn't need at that point in the match.

There were individual incidents that you could point to of course but those can be put down to "one of those days!". Moeens innings wasn't one of those days its an ongoing problem and him trying to play himself in and then inevitably getting out to stupid shot was exactly what we didn't need at that point in the match.

I don't think Moeen should be batting ahead of Woakes based on current form but there was more to why we lost than purely his innings.

Root did well scoring a run a ball hundred but then got out at a time when he really needed to stay in to allow Buttler to continue being aggressive. This then meant that when Moeen came in to bat it wasn't particularly clear who was trying to attack the bowling. It looked like Moeen was trying to get Buttler on strike but then Buttler was reluctant to go too aggressive as his wicket was effectively game over. 

Add in the fact that Roy's drop cost 60/70 quick runs to Hafeez and the fielding in general wasn't up to scratch and its a bit harsh to blame Moeen for losing the game (particularly when his bowling prevented us from being out of the game by the mid innings interval). 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I don't think Moeen should be batting ahead of Woakes based on current form but there was more to why we lost than purely his innings.

Root did well scoring a run a ball hundred but then got out at a time when he really needed to stay in to allow Buttler to continue being aggressive. This then meant that when Moeen came in to bat it wasn't particularly clear who was trying to attack the bowling. It looked like Moeen was trying to get Buttler on strike but then Buttler was reluctant to go too aggressive as his wicket was effectively game over. 

Add in the fact that Roy's drop cost 60/70 quick runs to Hafeez and the fielding in general wasn't up to scratch and its a bit harsh to blame Moeen for losing the game (particularly when his bowling prevented us from being out of the game by the mid innings interval). 

Yeah that's fair.

His current form with the bat he should be coming in last pretty much, how ironic that he was in contention to open the batting at the last world cup (I can't remember if he did or not).

57 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Yeah that's fair.

His current form with the bat he should be coming in last pretty much, how ironic that he was in contention to open the batting at the last world cup (I can't remember if he did or not).

Yeah I'd pick him as a spinner at the moment and I'd have Woakes and Rashid batting ahead of him. I've not seen too much of Archer although heard he can be handy with the bat too so I'd potentially have him as low down as number 10.

I think he did open in the last world cup which as you said shows the decline in his batting.

He hasn’t done much with the bat lately but had a decent ipl and scored runs in one odi. Problem is he usually gets to play a few games for Worcester to find a bit of form. The schedule this season hasn’t allowed that. 

However root was hinting at ball tampering and that might explain why they all struggled a to score runs at the death.

Ali dropped for Plunkett, more of a tactical change than an actual dropping but good move here.

England have started really well here, hopefully we can put the loss behind us with a big win today.

Â