Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Hameed has a century in the warm up match. Excellent news for him, hopefully he can recover his confidence in division 2, though also hoping Worcs do the promo part of their yo-yo leg this year. We'll be ignoring their current start in the warm up against a university side though.

• Like 2

Is it too early to give the Championship trophy to Surrey  :)

luckily the anti Surrey bias within the England selectors means we shouldn't lose to many players on England duty  during the season

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

anti Surrey bias within the England selectors

You're kidding!

Jason Roy will get picked, I imagine. Currans, Foakes, Roy...

They're a top side and Stewart has done brilliantly. Really well run club all through, but they're not lacking "influence".

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

You're kidding!

Jason Roy will get picked, I imagine. Currans, Foakes, Roy...

They're a top side and Stewart has done brilliantly. Really well run club all through, but they're not lacking "influence".

Foakes has already been discarded and told Bairstow will be wicket keeper for the foreseeable future 

Sam Curran might get a 12th man spot but Tom has already been ditched after his 2 tests  ,  similar story for Pope  .. I get that you need to take your chances at test level but there are a lot of "failures" that seem to get a lot more chances

Roy might get a call up I suppose but it wouldn't surprise me if they drop Burns to make way for him

Edited by tonyh29

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Foakes has already been discarded and told Bairstow will be wicket keeper for the foreseeable future 

Sam Curran might get a 12th man spot but Tom has already been ditched after his 2 tests  ,  similar story for Pope  .. I get that you need to take your chances at test level but there are a lot of "failures" that seem to get a lot more chances

Roy might get a call up I suppose but it wouldn't surprise me if they drop Burns to make way for him

They're all in the England squads for ODI or T20 or Tests - hardly anti Surrey bias, that. They're all good players too. I think Burns will keep his place and be joined by Roy rather than replaced by him. Foakes may come back in, too. I suppose apart from in Tests at the top of the order, England have big strength in depth which is definitely a good thing. If we could just sort out a decent top 3 in tests we'd be pretty much unstoppable.

• Like 1

It may only be 2 days into the season but there might not be many chances to say this again so I'll make the most of it!

An almost perfect start for Northants against Middlesex. 4 bonus batting points (what are they?) actually backed up by a solid display from the bowlers today. MCCC at 134-7 need 162 tomorrow (from the tail) to avoid the follow-on.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ca900f14d4a4d4932

ran out of steam and ended a draw. shame after getting them to follow on. Still better than last year when they followed on and won!

Holder went for a few runs today as Malan posted 160 in 6+ hours at the crease to save Middlesex. (with England selectors watching apparently)

When you're looking at the County Championship score cards, and then go back to your day job, and do some work on a local authority account, and type, "County Cricket Club", instead of "County Council". 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Flat pitch in Cardiff looked like a draw from the off. Last day of 4 and still in the first innings. Still, we just passed the highest ever score against Glamorgan in a single innings (also set by us).

N-hants wise it's currently our 3rd highest total in a single innings. its 742-8. 746-9d against Gloucestershire in the days of Swann and Hussey and 781-7d against Notts back in the days of Lamb and Anil Kumble are the top 2.

we are in the 227th over of the innings :blink:

Genuinely considered popping along to this one to have a look at Jason Holder in action. glad I didn't.

Jeez there's some serious batting in this squad... preliminary only, which I guess is because they're waiting to see how Archer goes against Ireland and Pakistan.

D4WHTOMX4AAtI3D.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, veloman said:

If they do pick Archer, I wonder who will drop out ? Woakes for a guess 'cos he has spoken out about 'parachuting in' a foreign player. 

Can't see Woakes dropping out even given his comments. He's going to be a nailed on starter at the World Cup if fit. You'd have to think that Willey, Curran, Plunkett and Denly would be more likely candidates to miss out from that list.

I think Denly would be the one to go. I'd like to see Archer play, he's one of the most exciting young talents I've ever seen. But at the same time, I won't be upset if he doesn't make it, it's a fantastic squad either way.

I would like to see him in the Ashes squad though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, veloman said:

If they do pick Archer, I wonder who will drop out ? Woakes for a guess 'cos he has spoken out about 'parachuting in' a foreign player. 

There's pretty likely going to be someone get injured before the WC. Woaksey has been struggling with his knee for ages, Wood has had his troubles...etc. Stokes too...

It's good to have cover

• Like 3

So, to change subject; any Bears fans nervous about what is going on down there ? No 'big' signings, ageing squad, thrashed in first match. It appears JT is now (albeit temporary) batting coach at Kent ..... who already have The legend that is Alan Donald on their staff. I realise it is early but I reckon the signs aren't good. Any opinions ?

16 minutes ago, veloman said:

So, to change subject; any Bears fans nervous about what is going on down there ? No 'big' signings, ageing squad, thrashed in first match. It appears JT is now (albeit temporary) batting coach at Kent ..... who already have The legend that is Alan Donald on their staff. I realise it is early but I reckon the signs aren't good. Any opinions ?

They got the signings in last summer. Currently missing injured players - Stone, Bell, Woakes not allowed to play...etc. Bound to struggle this season. The ageing squad thing is changing, it needed to be addressed. 

Â