Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

On 09/03/2019 at 19:04, veloman said:

I wonder if the ECB read VillaTalk; I have been querying the appointment of Ramprakash for ages; just hope his replacement can stiffen up England's (seemingly) fragile batting. Looks as if it could be Thorpe but I did wonder if they would find a role for Trott - particularly with Ashley Giles at the helm. Now - I really hope Ashton Agar rips up trees for Warks but how the hell did DURHAM !! get D'Arcy Short and Cameron Bancroft !!! Warks aiming low again ?

Isn't Thorpe already one of the batting coaches?

Nooooooooooo.

Ashes could herald new era for Tests with names and numbers on shirts

England’s and Australia’s cricketers are set to wear shirts with names and numbers on the back during this summer’s Ashes – a first in 142 years of Test cricket.

The five-match series that begins at Edgbaston on 1 August following the home World Cup, with England seeking to regain the urn they lost in Australia in 2017-18, is slated to be the first played under the banner of the International Cricket Council’s new World Test Championship.

As part of this tournament, during which the top nine sides will compete for points over a two-year cycle before a showpiece final in 2021, the ICC is understood to be considering the introduction of names and numbers on whites in order to make the players more easily identifiable on the field of play.

... more

• Sad 1

Because every cricket match I've ever sat in the crowd of there were always people in the ground complaining they couldn't identify the players on the field and there were all those people outside the ground who would buy tickets if only they could tell the players apart from one another. :blink:

What a complete waste of time.

• Like 1

D'oh

A bizarre declaration from Leeward Islands to lose a match in an apparent attempt to deny their opposition Barbados the chance to build enough bonus points to overtake them in the WICB Regional Four-Day Tournament, has backfired with Barbados securing second place.

Whatever calculations took place from Leeward Islands, who were captained by Rahkeem Cornwall, did not work as the result was enough to put Barbados into second place by just 0.2 points with 17.4 points and end with 134.2, which proved to be just enough to overtake Leeward Islands, who collected 2.8 points from the match and ended with 134.

Barbados built a first-innings lead of 101 when they declared early on the second day at 191 with two wickets still in hand, after Alazarri Joseph took 4 for 28, before Leeward Islands moved to 83 for 2, still 18 behind, when they declared about 40 minutes after lunch and conceded the match.

• Haha 1

IPL Starts on Saturday and i was looking forward to watching this on Sky, but having done some googling i have found out it is not being shown on Sky this year.

You have to have another subscription to hotstaruk at £11.99 pm......not a cat in hells chance of that happening !!!!

https://www.wisden.com/stories/global-t20-leagues/confirmed-2019-ipl-will-not-shown-sky

Sky have confirmed on Twitter that they will not be showing IPL 2019 on their Sky Sports Cricket channel.

In an announcement in March 2018, Sky revealed that they had signed a “multi-year” deal to broadcast 60 live IPL matches each year.

I am beginning to wonder wtf Sky actually offer these days. 

I was looking forward to watching this. I will now have to search for a stream from somewhere.

13 hours ago, imavillan said:

I was looking forward to watching this. I will now have to search for a stream from somewhere.

Not a fat lot really apart from Premier League football.

All these subscription services between TV/Film/Sports is starting to get spread too thin by too many people wanting a slice of the pie. I can see everything going full circle into one all in one package like we used to have soon.

I know it was only Lancashire but Surrey’s Will Jacks hit a century off 25 balls today , included a max 36 off the over

quickest century in professional cricket by an English player and only 20 , must be something in the water in Surrey 

Edited by tonyh29

On 19/03/2019 at 18:01, imavillan said:

IPL Starts on Saturday and i was looking forward to watching this on Sky, but having done some googling i have found out it is not being shown on Sky this year.

You have to have another subscription to hotstaruk at £11.99 pm......not a cat in hells chance of that happening !!!!

https://www.wisden.com/stories/global-t20-leagues/confirmed-2019-ipl-will-not-shown-sky

Sky have confirmed on Twitter that they will not be showing IPL 2019 on their Sky Sports Cricket channel.

In an announcement in March 2018, Sky revealed that they had signed a “multi-year” deal to broadcast 60 live IPL matches each year.

Just  seen this tweet from Sky Sport Cricket.

It is being shown on channel 729 😀👍

• Thanks 1

On 20/03/2019 at 07:07, veloman said:

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water ........ Ian Bell out for (at least) the start of the season with toe injury !!!

July I think is the comeback aim.

On 22/03/2019 at 01:10, tonyh29 said:

I know it was only Lancashire but Surrey’s Will Jacks hit a century off 25 balls today , included a max 36 off the over

quickest century in professional cricket by an English player and only 20 , must be something in the water in Surrey 

• Like 1

Ominous signs that after a couple of years of being woeful, the Australian ODI side is now looking rather good, just in time for the World Cup.

5 away wins in a row, including 3 to win the series in India. All the batsmen scoring runs, to the point where people are starting to question if Smith and Warner should be in the team now, once their bans end at the end of March... I certainly think those two should have to wait for their chance, it would be very harsh now to replace any of the current top 5.

4 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Ominous signs that after a couple of years of being woeful, the Australian ODI side is now looking rather good, just in time for the World Cup.

5 away wins in a row, including 3 to win the series in India. All the batsmen scoring runs, to the point where people are starting to question if Smith and Warner should be in the team now, once their bans end at the end of March... I certainly think those two should have to wait for their chance, it would be very harsh now to replace any of the current top 5.

I'd still question whether this Aussie team can score 350+ regularly, which could conceivably be roughly par for the World Cup.  They'd at least need a firing Warner for that, Smith less so.

4 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Agreed. They’ve really picked up. Same goes for the Windies. This notion that England are miles ahead of everybody else is very wrong. It’s wide open.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd still question whether this Aussie team can score 350+ regularly, which could conceivably be roughly par for the World Cup.  They'd at least need a firing Warner for that, Smith less so.

Well they never scored 350+ regularly with Smith & Warner, so I'm not sure how adding them back in will achieve that. Maxwell & Stoinis are the two players that can really get the strike rate moving. What they have now is a great team spirit and a winning side full of confidence. It it ain't broke...

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

Agreed. They’ve really picked up. Same goes for the Windies. This notion that England are miles ahead of everybody else is very wrong. It’s wide open.

I think on their day, England are still the best, by a distance. But England are inconsistent, and India, Windies, New Zealand and Australia are all well capable of winning this tournament. I think with home advantage as well that England are rightly favourites.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Yep. Very poor stuff.

I mean Buttler is still in the crease when he begins his delivery stride! Premeditated plan, horrendous sportsmanship 🤮

• Like 2

Â