Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Think we will struggle to beat India. There front-line bowling attack looks exceptional. Prob better off playing on a turning track. Our two spinners match up to there’s quite well, I know I said drop moeen but with the weather expected to be very hot he has to play. Has a good record against India 

Going to be a wonderful occasion possibly not for England though! Support and conditions will be against them. 

Team batting first will win you feel. 

Liam Dawson should play ahead of Moeen given India have only right handed batsmen unless they throw in the wildcard Rishabh Pant. 

Edited by West

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Dawson is hardly in the same clsss as a spin bowler as moeen. Moeen spins it more and takes big wickets

Spinning the ball in to right handers in ODI cricket is easy pickings. Don't think Moeen will be effective at all. 

On 26/06/2019 at 05:25, imavillan said:

Exactly this......

Number one in the world playing ''friendlies''....the dogs bollocks

That's rather unfair... we've not been playing "friendlies". We've absolutely slaughtered most sides in the world over the last few years home and away, and broken a ridiculous number of records in the process. To suggest a one day series against Australia for example is in any way a "friendly" is just absurd.

Which is not to say we haven't been poor in this world cup - looks like we're struggling with the pressure for sure. Don't think you can understate how much we're missing Jason Roy at the top of the innings, he really sets the tone for what follows. Unfortunately it's now Vince doing that. Once Hales was dropped, we had nothing in reserve with the bat. I'd rather see Curran open than Vince!

Curiously too, the pitches haven't helped us - which is odd given that it's a home tournament.

India all but through now after beating Windies, which is good news for England. I still think this team has enough about them to come good - we've certainly got a few players that owe us some big performances. Let's hope they turn up!

Edited by MrDuck
  • Like 2

Hopefully Roy is fit. Otherwise as Moeen offers nothing down the order. Promote him to opener and play like a pinch hitter. Don't really loose anything if hes out for a low score but it might just come off. 

On 28/06/2019 at 02:24, MrDuck said:

That's rather unfair... we've not been playing "friendlies". We've absolutely slaughtered most sides in the world over the last few years home and away, and broken a ridiculous number of records in the process. To suggest a one day series against Australia for example is in any way a "friendly" is just absurd.

Which is not to say we haven't been poor in this world cup - looks like we're struggling with the pressure for sure. Don't think you can understate how much we're missing Jason Roy at the top of the innings, he really sets the tone for what follows. Unfortunately it's now Vince doing that. Once Hales was dropped, we had nothing in reserve with the bat. I'd rather see Curran open than Vince!

Curiously too, the pitches haven't helped us - which is odd given that it's a home tournament.

India all but through now after beating Windies, which is good news for England. I still think this team has enough about them to come good - we've certainly got a few players that owe us some big performances. Let's hope they turn up!

OK, perhaps the use of the word 'friendly' was pushing it a bit. However, games in a World Cup mean everything above any other matches and England are choking it when it matters.

And now we have Johnny Bairstow coming out saying 'we are all waiting for England to fail'. 

What a complete and utter loads of crap that is. The whole nation wants England to succeed and going into this tournament they had the best ever chance of doing it for the first time ever with the team/squad they have.

'People were waiting for us to fail. They are not willing us on to win, in many ways, they are waiting for you to get that loss, so they can jump on your throat. It's a typical English thing to do, in every sport.

Article here with comments and opinion from Michael Vaughan

I understand they may be missing Jason Roy, however, there is enough talent there to still do the job without him. One player does not make a team.

I dont think blaming the pitches is right. The pitch is the same for both sides. Morgan, Bairstow, Buttler, Ali, have all given their wickets away cheaply playing shots they simply should not be playing. And it's not just about the batting, some of the bowling and fielding has been lamentable. The failure to chase down 232 against Sri Lanka was desperate with a middle order collapse. 

As you say, lets hope they turn up at Edgbaston tomorrow, because they need to for sure.

I'm going to Edgbaston tomorrow and will be one of the 'outnumbered' in the crowd as it appears there will be two Indian fans for every England one.

This will be rather strange as normally for England games at Edgbaston it's the opposite way round. 

Tickets are going for silly amounts of cash. Even so there is no way i'm going to part with mine and miss what will surely be a special sporting occasion, regardless of the result.

Incredible really.

Tickets for England's World Cup showdown with India at Edgbaston on Sunday have been changing hands at six times their face value.

The match between Eoin Morgan's team and the opponents who displaced them at the top of the one-day international rankings earlier this week is a 24,200 sell-out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-7193733/Hit-six-Fans-pay-thousands-India-tickets.html

• Like 1

One of the worst displays of captaincy ive seen

Pakistan couldnt get anything from the spinners, so he brings himself on and serves up an over of medium pace pies

Would love to see the inplay betting

• Like 1

Outstanding all round performance. Think we will go in and beat New Zealand and qualify for the semis. Think Kohli and Sharma went too slow In the first ten overs but Woakes and archer bowied really well

Yep, the good England side turned up. Credit deserved. Also, winning the toss helps and so does Roy returning but even bowling and fielding we were on it. Should be ok now, think Bangladesh could even confirm it for us and beat Pakistan..

Since the retirement of Strauss and cook we have problems in the opening dept for tests, Sibley has put himself in the reckoning. First player to 1000 first class runs this season after his unbeaten double hundred 

Crucial match against the kiwis today. Hope Plunkett gets the nod over Moeen again. Much as I like Moeen, during the world cup so far we've won every time Plunkett plays!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Crucial match against the kiwis today. Hope Plunkett gets the nod over Moeen again. Much as I like Moeen, during the world cup so far we've won every time Plunkett plays!

Plunkett takes loads of wickets in the middle overs and Mo is always tidy but doesn't take as many so it's a no-brainer for me, plus Mo deserves to be out the team for his shot against Sri Lanka.  It'll still depend on the pitch mind you.  Huge game.

• Like 1

Â