Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

last 5 overs have gone for 97. This is absolutely absurd hitting. Very nice to see pretty much all our destructive hitters in form this tournament

This neurotic England fan (is there any other kind?) wonders "have we peaked too soon?

4 hours ago, blandy said:

This neurotic England fan (is there any other kind?) wonders "have we peaked too soon?

We've been at and around this level for a couple of years now.

I don't worry about peaking too soon, more our capacity to completely self-destruct every now and then. As a neurotic England fan, you just know that game will be a semi final at the WC, instead of a dead rubber against Bangaladesh!

• Like 2

Think that game yesterday was an amazing advert for one day cricket. I've never been a huge fan of that format of the game, but this current England side have turned me around. I really look forward to watching them play these days. So many match winners in one team.  

• Like 2

On 28/02/2019 at 15:05, dAVe80 said:

So many match winners in one team.

Though none today. :o

Had forgotten the last one-dayer was on today. Just had a look - skittled for 113 (111-5 to 113 all out!) and WI are 97 for 3 off 10.

• Like 1

Grauniad:

Mark Ramprakash has lost his job as the England batting coach and is expected to be replaced by Graham Thorpe before this summer’s Ashes series against Australia.

Ramprakash has paid the price for the Test team’s poor batting, with their dismissal for 77 by West Indies in the opening match of the recent series defeat in the Caribbean appearing to be the final straw for Ashley Giles, England’s new director of cricket.

The former England batsman, who played 52 Tests, revealed he had been relieved of his job on Twitter, saying: “I’ve just been informed that I will not be involved in the Ashes series. It’s been a huge privilege to support the team over the last 5 years. I’d like to wish all the staff & players the very best of luck for the future.”

England officially confirmed the news shortly afterwards. A spokesman said: “Mark Ramprakash will not be part of the coaching set-up for the Ashes. We will finalise the coaching set in the next couple of weeks.”

Thorpe, another former international who in his current role as lead batting coach is responsible for England’s white-ball teams, is the favourite to replace Ramprakash.

... more on link

England recover from 30 odd for four to 182/6. Currently a wicket from victory with the Windies 39/9. This team really is something. 

Chris Jordan has bowling figures of 2-0-6-4. Incredible :lol:

I wonder if the ECB read VillaTalk; I have been querying the appointment of Ramprakash for ages; just hope his replacement can stiffen up England's (seemingly) fragile batting. Looks as if it could be Thorpe but I did wonder if they would find a role for Trott - particularly with Ashley Giles at the helm. Now - I really hope Ashton Agar rips up trees for Warks but how the hell did DURHAM !! get D'Arcy Short and Cameron Bancroft !!! Warks aiming low again ?

Â