Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I still don’t understand the point Woakes was trying to make? Is it just that he feels his own place may be threatened by Archer? Hope it’s not a clique type thing. 

If someone is good enough or better than what we have why would someone else’s place in the squad be protected just because they’ve been there for a while? You put your best team out like in any other sport.

I just don’t understand the point he was trying to make? 

Edited by Ingram85

19 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I still don’t understand the point Woakes was trying to make? Is it just that he feels his own place may be threatened by Archer? 

If someone is good enough or better than what we have why would someone else’s place in the squad be protected just because they’ve been there for a while?

I just understand the point he was trying to make? 

I guess he's just saying that there's a core squad of players who have taken England to number 1 in the world rankings. To catapult someone straight into that squad for a World Cup may upset the apple cart potentially.

Not sure its a point I particularly agree with but its a similar discussion to those had around football World Cup when players are put in for the major tournament.

Edited by tom_avfc

2 hours ago, blandy said:

They got the signings in last summer. Currently missing injured players - Stone, Bell, Woakes not allowed to play...etc. Bound to struggle this season. The ageing squad thing is changing, it needed to be addressed. 

Yep, they got the 2 from Glos, but I guess my emphasis was on a 'big' name.  This is no disrespect to the Northants supporter on here but how the hell did they get Holder and Warks were, again, nowhere in sight (so it seems). Just to repeat ; this ain't critical of Northants - just Warks. Just look at the plethora ("What is a plethora"  - in Mexican accent😀) of established Internationals on display in the televised match yesterday !

Norwell and Miles had a good season last year, pulled Gloucs out the doldrums a bit.

Holder is obviously only with us for the rest of the month before he heads off to join up with the W.Indies so half the one day cup thing.

Ahem ! Warks fans. What did I say about this lot. We haven't renewed our membership and wife isn't very keen NOW !!  So - what the hell is wrong; I reckon we are out of the One Day competition even at this early stage and can't see Ashton Agar catapulting us through T20 . Just praying Villa go up to lift the gloom. I see an uphill battle to stay in Div 1 .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Suspect Archer's little cameo in yesterdays aborted ODI has just cemented his spot in the WC and Ashes squads. He's still learning, but he's a real special talent and we'd be mad to leave him out.

England squad

Eoin Morgan (capt, Middlesex), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (wk, Yorkshire), Jos Buttler (wk, Lancashire), Tom Curran (Surrey), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), Liam Plunkett (Surrey), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Vince (Hampshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

Beeb.

Dawson for Denly is sensible. Offers more with the ball and is more than capable with the bat if necessary. 

Think Plunkett is possibly a bit lucky but have to feel for Willey. Not done anything wrong, and this fast tracking of Archer doesn't sit right for me, talented though he is.

I'd have left out Vince in favour of Willey to be honest. You can still bring in replacements for injury during the tournament, and frankly I'd fancy Curran or Ali to do more with the bat than Vince anyway.

Glad to see Archer makes the squad, he's a joy to watch and a lovely bloke. Sure it's a little cynical, but any other team would have done the same, and our previous 7-year law was well out of step with the ICC.

If England are at their best, they win this World Cup. Nobody else has so many potential match-winners in their squad.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Dawson for Denly is sensible. Offers more with the ball and is more than capable with the bat if necessary. 

Think Plunkett is possibly a bit lucky but have to feel for Willey. Not done anything wrong, and this fast tracking of Archer doesn't sit right for me, talented though he is.

Willey hasn't actually taken many wickets though in the past 18 months or so (in ODI's)........I know it's not all about taking wickets in this form but it's still your best bet for winning a game.

24 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

I'd have left out Vince in favour of Willey to be honest. You can still bring in replacements for injury during the tournament, and frankly I'd fancy Curran or Ali to do more with the bat than Vince anyway.

Glad to see Archer makes the squad, he's a joy to watch and a lovely bloke. Sure it's a little cynical, but any other team would have done the same, and our previous 7-year law was well out of step with the ICC.

If England are at their best, they win this World Cup. Nobody else has so many potential match-winners in their squad.

So you'd change the balance of the squad with an extra bowler instead of a batter?

The two are not interchangeable as they perform different roles in the team.

OK then, now the squad has been announced, lets have your starting England XI for the opening game? I'd go:

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Butlter
Stokes
Ali
Woakes
Rashid
Archer
Wood

Harsh on the likes of Curren and Plunkett in particular, but I think they may still both end up playing a part at some point.

• Like 1

Archer should be a reserve for the first game v SA   , maybe give him a run out for Bangladesh , Afghanistan and see how he performs , but his strike rate and wickets taken don't warrant a starting place , arguably don't even warrant a squad place .

Curran should start , takes wickets and can deliver with the bat

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Archer should be a reserve for the first game v SA   , maybe give him a run out for Bangladesh , Afghanistan and see how he performs , but his strike rate and wickets taken don't warrant a starting place , arguably don't even warrant a squad place .

Curran should start , takes wickets and can deliver with the bat

Can totally see where you're coming from, and I'm maybe basing it a little bit on the hype, but there's a massive clamour from some respected pundits (and Michael Vaughn) to include him. I'm also going on that spell in the abandoned game against Pakistan. To quote Pantera, ******* hostile! 

12 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So you'd change the balance of the squad with an extra bowler instead of a batter?

The two are not interchangeable as they perform different roles in the team.

We bat so deep it doesn't matter. Vince is a reserve only, and if he plays - unlike Hales - he weakens the batting line up.  I'd rather have the additional bowling option available to call upon.

4 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Can totally see where you're coming from, and I'm maybe basing it a little bit on the hype, but there's a massive clamour from some respected pundits (and Michael Vaughn) to include him. I'm also going on that spell in the abandoned game against Pakistan. To quote Pantera, ******* hostile! 

I watched him so much in the last two years, I'm with Flintoff and Vaughan on this one too... far too good to leave out.

Thanks to the BBL and IPL, Archer also has a lot of experience against many of the batsman he'll be facing, much more so than most our other bowlers.

That said, I imagine we'll be rotating those bowlers throughout the tournament, and none of them present a weak link. Great situation to be in.

• Like 1

Â