Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Smith looks genuinely gutted to me, kind of feel for the guy.

Yes he messed up but the way the media and cricket fans in general have come down on him you would think he has done something far worse.

This will take a while to blow over for sure, I bet even when he leaves his house he'll be getting comments and abuse and no doubt his family will be victims of that as well.

Zero sympathy for any of them.

Warner and Smith have been total arseholes for the past 18-24 months in particular, I would in fact say that I am really enjoying it all.

The tampering itself is not that horrendous an act, but the attempt to cover it all up was embarrassing. You have to keep in mind, this was not a spur of the moment decision, it was a carefully planned and premeditated course of action, they deserve everything coming to them.

I also wouldn't be so naive as to fall for Smith's crocodile tears either folks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Zero sympathy for any of them.

Warner and Smith have been total arseholes for the past 18-24 months in particular, I would in fact say that I am really enjoying it all.

The tampering itself is not that horrendous an act, but the attempt to cover it all up was embarrassing. You have to keep in mind, this was not a spur of the moment decision, it was a carefully planned and premeditated course of action, they deserve everything coming to them.

I also wouldn't be so naive as to fall for Smith's crocodile tears either folks.

It was slightly awkward and unconvincing.  It reminded me of that gif of the lad from Dawson's Creek crying that gets posted on here sometimes.

• Like 2

Originally welcomed a big reaction and punishment, it was premeditated fraud on the opposition, the public, and the game.

HOWEVER......... the players have expressed more regret - probably genuine - contrition and guilt than I’ve heard any Politician, Executive, Tax evader, Reporter, or other public figure express in thirty years. All those people could learn something about actually regrettin* what you’ve done.

Additionally they shoukd now be left alone and, when the ban is up be welcomed back into the Sport....they haven’t killed anybody and seem genuinely saddened.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Lehmann to step down which was inevitable.

Why, though, did he wait until after Cricket Australia and he had said he would remain in post, that it was nothing to do with him and the three players had been given their bans and sent home?

I don't think Lehmann comes out of this very well at all.

35 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Why, though, did he wait until after Cricket Australia and he had said he would remain in post, that it was nothing to do with him and the three players had been given their bans and sent home?

Negotiating pay-off, I'd imagine. Which if CA found he wasn't involved, but sort of hinted that a new start was needed, he'd maybe need to do.

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Negotiating pay-off, I'd imagine. Which if CA found he wasn't involved, but sort of hinted that a new start was needed, he'd maybe need to do.

Perhaps.

Anyway, we've lost the toss and they've stuck us in. Let's hope we can still be batting tomorrow (BST ;)).

Not sure about there being two bites at the cherry on the review.

Thankfully, it worked out for England. Though if Vince reviewed the catch (as that was what the decision was) and it was not out then it should have been up to NZ to decide if they wanted to review it for an LBW, surely?

Edited by snowychap

Why Vince was brought back into the team I will never know. Failed during his first audition in the summer of 2016 against Sri Lanka and Pakistan, failed against Aus in the winter yet still gets a game ahead of Livingstone.

Woakes has every right to feel hard done by as well, there's no way Wood will get through the test match without picking up some sort of knock.

9 hours ago, snowychap said:

Lehmann said he realised he had to step down after seeing how broken Smith & Bancroft were by the whole thing.
The three of them all seem genuinely upset and full of regret when facing the press, and while I think they deserve the punishments it's hard not to feel a little sorry for them. But, also, bahahahahaha!

Warner on the other hand posted a by-the-numbers statement on Twitter and doesn't seem to have the guts to face the cameras, like the absolute arse that he is.

Suspect it will be Langer that comes in to replace Lehmann, but it should be Ponting. Ponting understands cricket and cricketers better than anyone else in the world I think, and is already part of the Aussie T20 set up. Persoanlly I hope they go for Bayliss :)

1 hour ago, MrDuck said:

Lehmann said he realised he had to step down after seeing how broken Smith & Bancroft were by the whole thing.

I'm not sure I believe him much as I don't particularly believe that he knew nothing of what happened. We'll find out in a book in a few years' time, no doubt.

As for genuinely upset? By getting caught, by losing reputations and, for Smith in particular, by losing a fair few bucks but I'm not buying the full of regret.

1 hour ago, MrDuck said:

Persoanlly I hope they go for Bayliss :)

Yes, please. :D

Good efforts from Bairstow and Wood but otherwise it's pretty grim.

I think Stoneman and Vince may just have one more innings in their test careers. So may Cook but that might be him deciding that the farm's a better bet than being at the crease.

I wonder whether the side to face Pakistan in May will be quite different. Probably not, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Â