Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I think Warner is going to be the fall guy in this. He has had enough problems in the past(even in this series) and I expect book be thrown at him. Smith I think is too valuable a player that they will give a serious ban

He said Paine is officially named captain, so it sounds like Smith has been stripped of the captaincy and probably going to get a suspension, which sounds fair enough to me.  I'm surprised that considering Smith said the leadership group new about it, only he and Warner are being punished.  There must be other players involved and Lehmann looked dodgy as **** when it happened.  Just hope Gillespie doesn't get knicked from Sussex.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Warner is going to be the fall guy in this. He has had enough problems in the past(even in this series) and I expect book be thrown at him. Smith I think is too valuable a player that they will give a serious ban

They reckon Warner will never play for Australia again

8 minutes ago, West said:

They reckon Warner will never play for Australia again

probably bullshit but I read Warner is the main instigator and Smith only went out in the media to defend Bancroft

Lehman knew all about - we all saw the pics on TV as he tried to cover it up. To say he wasn't involved is patently absurd. As is the notion that none of the bowlers knew anything about it!

Warner won't be back. He deserves a lengthy band for being David Warner, regardless of what else has happened :P

28 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Lehman knew all about - we all saw the pics on TV as he tried to cover it up. To say he wasn't involved is patently absurd. As is the notion that none of the bowlers knew anything about it!

Is the bowlers knowing nothing of it absurd? Apparently Bancroft wasn't any good at the actual tampering so if they didn't know in advance then they're unlikely to have known even by handling the ball.

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Is the bowlers knowing nothing of it absurd? Apparently Bancroft wasn't any good at the actual tampering so if they didn't know in advance then they're unlikely to have known even by handling the ball.

Seems pretty unlikely that you wouldn't tell the bowlers about the advantage you're trying to give them. Hell, even the 12th man was in on it!

53 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Seems pretty unlikely that you wouldn't tell the bowlers about the advantage you're trying to give them. Hell, even the 12th man was in on it!

He was in on the cover up, wasn't he?

There's the conspiring to do the thing and then the 'Oh shit, you've been caught on telly' thing.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Is that a ban from all forms of the game or just test cricket?

Internationals and domestic Australian cricket (though not club cricket).

Apparently it was sandpaper and Cricket Australia have said that Smith and Bancroft therefore gave 'misleading public comments' which I believe is the modern day way of saying that they lied.

They're eligible to play outside Australia but Warner and Smith have both been banned by the IPL for this season.

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Is that a ban from all forms of the game or just test cricket?

They can play club cricket. Seems strong enough for me tbh. Smith also banned from captioning for 2 years but the he won't ever be captain again I guess.

Edited by Rodders
See Snowy above for bbetter answer

The bans are manifestly excessive. Outrageous really.

Cricket Australia have buckled under the pressure of media driven public outrage and handed down sanctions that aren't in keeping with the seriousness of the offending nor the punishments for similar offending in the past.

The opposing captain in this very test series has been convicted twice without ever missing a match. I'm not sure how we get from that to 12 month bans.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

The bans are manifestly excessive. Outrageous really.

Cricket Australia have buckled under the pressure of media driven public outrage and handed down sanctions that aren't in keeping with the seriousness of the offending nor the punishments for similar offending in the past.

The opposing captain in this very test series has been convicted twice without ever missing a match. I'm not sure how we get from that to 12 month bans.

I agree. Absolutely agree and really seems to be a response to social media "outrage" as much as anything else. 

It's a line in the sand now though. Other countries will surely be expected to get as tough on similar incidents, or risk being seen as soft. 

ICC punishments were pretty much the same as any other players received in the past. Cricket Australia have been quite within their rights to add to the punishment, as have the IPL.

The Indian are not exactly fans of Smith and Warner, so I imagine they were pretty chuffed at the opportunity to twist the knife. They caught Smith cheating in the last series in India but he got away with it.

This situation is a little different from previous situations. It's not one player with a bit of dirt in his pocket or a mint in his mouth. Warner has given the young guy sandpaper and taught him (badly!) how to tamper with the ball without getting caught. Smith has seen they were up to something and instead of growing some balls and putting a stop to it, he's turned a blind eye. Then he's lied in his post-game press conference. Cricket Australia's name has thus is being dragged through the mud by players that only very recently held them to ransom over a new pay deal. I think the punishment is deserved, and somewhat surprisingly so do all the Aussie cricket fans I work with. CA have probably seen this as a way to put back in their place a team that were unliked by their own country, and getting a bit out of control. I don't think they've buckled under public pressure, I think they're as pissed off with the players as everybody else is.

And ultimately, the players have no one to blame but themselves. They wouldn't have these bans if they hadn't been cheating. Idiots.

• Like 4

Â