Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

50 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If I remember right it goes back to when the West Indies had a left arm leg spinner called Achong, and one of the English batsmen said 'I can't believe I got out to a Chinaman' or something along those lines.  It probably is time to ditch the term,though I doubt any Chinese people will care either way.

Sorry, I meant the kerfuffle started a year or so ago with the Ind v Aus series, not the origin of the term. 

TalkSport outbids BBC to secure rights for forthcoming England cricket tours

TalkSport has announced a major coup late Tuesday after outbidding the BBC to secure the free-to-air radio broadcast rights for England’s forthcoming tours of Sri Lanka and the West Indies.

It ends a 13-year association for the BBC, who last lost the rights to an oversees national team cricket tour in 2005, also on that occasion to TalkSport.

Scott Taunton, chief exe of Wireless Group Limited, the parent company for TalkSport, was bullish in announcing the changes, as he spoke to Radio Today.

“Winning these prestigious rights is a great victory for TalkSport and its first-class coverage. England’s overseas tours are sure to lure large audiences of fans as we cement TalkSport’s position as the fans’ favourite for sporting news, analysis and live coverage.

“I’m delighted that we will be with England fans for every ball of the day throughout these winter tours, with our own expert line-up of cricketing stars.”

Jonathan Agnew (@Aggerscricket)

I think the response to this tweet speaks volumes. I know our loyal @bbctms listeners will be very disappointed and I’m very sorry. I hope I can still provide news coverage on BBC. To be clear, it has nothing to do with @ECB_cricket. SL and WI Board decision https://t.co/dMFh8fmbxL

April 18, 2018

The rights cover all the Test matches, ODIs and T20 internationals from each tour with the first England game to be broadcast an ODI against Sri Lanka on October 10, 2018.

It is understood TalkSport is also currently in negotiations to secure the rights for the 2019-20 tour to South Africa.

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

For those two (WI & SL). Though it would seem that SA may be next, too.

I can't wait for Selco adverts, inbetween overs!

Edited by dAVe80

ECB proposes 100-ball format for men's and women's domestic game in 2020

A radical 100-balls-a-side competition is at the heart of plans to transform English domestic cricket in 2020.

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/11337632/ecb-proposes-100-ball-format-for-mens-and-womens-domestic-game-in-2020

What the hell is this nonsense? A new format that has 20 less balls than a game of 20/20?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/11337632/ecb-proposes-100-ball-format-for-mens-and-womens-domestic-game-in-2020

What the hell is this nonsense? A new format that has 20 less balls than a game of 20/20?

ECB.....

Noses stuck up in the air think they rule/run the game.

This is laughable.

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

ECB.....

Noses stuck up in the air think they rule/run the game.

This is laughable.

It's the ECB way, think of an idea so unpalatable that the last idea seems sensible and the counties vote for the franchise T20 as designed.

ECB hq:

"Hey T20 competitions are just going crazy all over the world, the fans love them - let's have a proper T20 comp here too!"

"Nonsense, T20 is too long. We're going to have 100-ball. People are crying out for it, it's not divisible by 6, and it just rolls off the tongue. It's perfect!"

"Awesome, that's genius! Let's do it!"

Rest of world:

"You're f**king idiots"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My understanding is that there's a bit more to it than just the 100 ball gimmick that has drawn people in to getting all dramatic. There’s actually a lot more going on. There is a ladder and a tarpaulin to negotiate when running between wickets. Fielding positions can be distracted by the batting team having its non-batting players able to throw wet sponges at the fielders.
Every second over, you are asked a question from one of three categories ‘tv’ ‘celebrities’ and ‘comic book films’. Get the question right, and they gunge the opposing captain.
Teams to be made up of 6 known cricketers, 2 celebrities and a family playing at home via a wii. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

My understanding is that there's a bit more to it than just the 100 ball gimmick that has drawn people in to getting all dramatic. There’s actually a lot more going on. There is a ladder and a tarpaulin to negotiate when running between wickets. Fielding positions can be distracted by the batting team having its non-batting players able to throw wet sponges at the fielders.
Every second over, you are asked a question from one of three categories ‘tv’ ‘celebrities’ and ‘comic book films’. Get the question right, and they gunge the opposing captain.
Teams to be made up of 6 known cricketers, 2 celebrities and a family playing at home via a wii. 

It's a Knockout, this proposed tournament?

• Like 1

Â