Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Have a feeling Cook will be gone, just doesn’t look at the races. It’s always hard to stay in and motivated when no longer captain. Would’ve been great to see him be  He old cook and hit high scores continuously.

Root really needs to step up now, only seems to get scores when everyone else is, when we need a big captains innings from him he doesn’t do it enough.

Edited by mikeyp102

16 hours ago, snowychap said:

So may Cook but that might be him deciding that the farm's a better bet than being at the crease.

Well it's not like he's really spending any time at the crease these days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Would’ve been great to see him be  He old cook and hit high scores continuously.

I'm not sure that's right. He didn't go quite through the patch that he has over the last 18 months where, other than the two big double hundreds, he's largely failed but he has otherwise had a couple of proper runs of failure before coming good again. The thing is those 'coming good again' times were a series of good innings for a sustained period.

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Root really needs to step up now, only seems to get scores when everyone else is, when we need a big captains innings from him he doesn’t do it enough.

I agree that he needs to step up. Not sure with the only scores when others do, though.

His real problem is about converting starts (and for him that's anything up to 60s/70s) in to big runs. It's becoming a major disappointment for someone so obviously talented.

Edited by snowychap

There is no doubt this cheating is very bad for cricket but ..... is the media reaction a bit excessive ? He hasn't murdered anyone; seems a bit like the furore over Lance Armstrong. Anyway, how come Atherton seems to have got away Scot free (dirt in pocket) AND he is from Lancashire !!!!!    

2 hours ago, veloman said:

There is no doubt this cheating is very bad for cricket but ..... is the media reaction a bit excessive ?

Particularly when you bear in mind the actions of countless NRL and AFL players such as Greg Bird (glassed his girlfriend) and Matthew Lodge (threatened two women telling them that they were going to die, then beat the owner of an apartment who let them in when they tried to escape, before forcing his way inside and trying to attack a woman and 9 year-old child, beating down the bathroom door they’d locked themselves behind), amongst many others (including countless incidences of domestic violence). Apparently these weren’t incidents that ‘shamed a nation’ and the individuals involved received far less condemnation in the media.

Edited by JB
  • Like 1

I think the worst thing for me, is that on the back of this, people are starting to question everything. An Aussie mate was even trying to argue that the fact England are better at getting the ball to reverse swing, means that you could question if they tampered with the ball? The fall out of this means that we're likely going to question everything that happens in a game now. We're not just going to be able to enjoy the skills on show, we're going to be constantly asking if they tampered with the ball?

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

I think the worst thing for me, is that on the back of this, people are starting to question everything. An Aussie mate was even trying to argue that the fact England are better at getting the ball to reverse swing, means that you could question if they tampered with the ball? The fall out of this means that we're likely going to question everything that happens in a game now. We're not just going to be able to enjoy the skills on show, we're going to be constantly asking if they tampered with the ball?

I am sure Trescothick has admitted that he used Murray Mints during 2005 Ashes and was no condemnation

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am sure Trescothick has admitted that he used Murray Mints during 2005 Ashes and was no condemnation

Maybe be because it actually hampered his bowling by slowing him down? After all they're too good to hurry. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I have been slow in picking this up but I read that Wisden is going to ban the expression "Chinaman" from their book. Is this entirely serious ? I wonder how many Chinese actually follow cricket in order to be offended ? Has the World gone mad or is this at reasonable move by the authorities? Answers on a postcard.

Oh .. and I wonder what the chances of Warks first match against Sussex going ahead tomorrow !

Edited by veloman

1 minute ago, veloman said:

I don't know if I have been slow in picking this up but I read that Wisden is going to ban the expression "Chinaman" from their book. Is this entirely serious ? I wonder how many Chinese actually follow cricket in order to be offended ? Has the World gone mad or is this at reasonable move by the authorities? Answers on a postcard.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle about it this time year, too IIRC - when the Indian team beat the Aussies - .I think it related to the "deceptive" nature of the delivery (a left arm spinner's wrong 'un) being associated with the chinese. I think it's probably the right thing to do, really.

50 minutes ago, blandy said:

There was a bit of a kerfuffle about it this time year, too IIRC - when the Indian team beat the Aussies - .I think it related to the "deceptive" nature of the delivery (a left arm spinner's wrong 'un) being associated with the chinese. I think it's probably the right thing to do, really.

If I remember right it goes back to when the West Indies had a left arm leg spinner called Achong, and one of the English batsmen said 'I can't believe I got out to a Chinaman' or something along those lines.  It probably is time to ditch the term,though I doubt any Chinese people will care either way.

Â