Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

19 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Test squad for NZ:

Joe Root (Yorkshire), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Dawid Malan (Middlesex), Craig Overton (Somerset), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Stoneman (Surrey), James Vince (Hampshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

Can't believe that Vince and Stoneman are in the squad, whilst Ali and Wood are also very lucky to have been included.

Whats the alternative. Moeen is due some credit. One bad series doesn't make you a bad player 

• Like 2

Yep, was a great knock from Roy and Root too. Still an unconverted 50 from Root though....  :trollface: 

Stokes charged with Affray so at least that seems to be moving on now. Wonder if that will be sorted before New Zealand? I mean any ECB punishment would presumably just retroactively go - look you missed the Ashes and some.. maybe some community involvement, but I suppose the millisecond the CPS have finished he's back playing.

29 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

The limited overs teams are a totally different animal to the test side. The ODI and T20 sides are capable of getting results all around the world.

Drives me **** barmy. 

WHAT'S THE SECRET?!!?!?!?!!

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Errr...they are completely different games maybe? 

Well, it's a different format, but it's the same game :lol: 

I'm asking why we have the mental toughness to go and spank Australia at a 50 over game in their own back yard, but with supposedly superior players, fall apart more or less everywhere outside of England & Wales. 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm asking why we have the mental toughness to go and spank Australia at a 50 over game in their own back yard, but with supposedly superior players, fall apart more or less everywhere outside of England & Wales. 

Not enough Saffers in the team. We used to be good when we had Saffers. ;)

As an aussie I'll tell you what I notice. When you have come to Australia and plated aggressively on the last 15 years you've won the ashes. When you've come here like a bunch of scaredy cats you've lost.

Stokes is/was your match winner,  he let you down and so did every one else. Each of your team had some decent moments but that doesn't win an Ashes, especially on foreign soil. 

England need some aggression in their side, a batsmen who can take the game away from the bowlers. 

It was left to Root to be the aggressor and that was his downfall, but their is potential in your team. Vince could be very good but he needs to step up. He reminds me of Ian Bell early in his career, looks great but contribution is poor. 

I think your team has promise but I do feel you need an aggressive batsmen to rake the pressure of Root. By aggressive I don't mean every ball has to go for six.

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

As an aussie I'll tell you what I notice. When you have come to Australia and plated aggressively on the last 15 years you've won the ashes. When you've come here like a bunch of scaredy cats you've lost.

Stokes is/was your match winner,  he let you down and so did every one else. Each of your team had some decent moments but that doesn't win an Ashes, especially on foreign soil. 

England need some aggression in their side, a batsmen who can take the game away from the bowlers. 

It was left to Root to be the aggressor and that was his downfall, but their is potential in your team. Vince could be very good but he needs to step up. He reminds me of Ian Bell early in his career, looks great but contribution is poor. 

I think your team has promise but I do feel you need an aggressive batsmen to rake the pressure of Root. By aggressive I don't mean every ball has to go for six.

TBF that was meant to be Bairstow in this Ashes series, but he was too busy remembering his dad judging by his instagram.. 

I have sympathy for him obviously, but come on dude. 

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I think Eoin Morgan has something to do with it.  I suspect he encourages players to go out and take risks and gives them his full backing if things go wrong.  There's also no way he'd have captained us in the Ashes and not had the quickest bowlers available and a leg spinner playing. We still probably would have lost mind you.

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

dont think any of the Test batsmen have the hunger, mentality and patience to grind out scores away from home. In ODI you have to go for it a lot more

15 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Australia had four bowlers in the some of the best form of their careers, on wickets that suited them down to the ground. Any team would have struggled this summer against them. England didn't have a single bowler suited to fast hard wickets, which was a much bigger problem than the below-par batting.

Fortunately England have a superb custom-made one day team with a brilliant record over the last year or so (17 wins out of 20 I think?), whereas the Australian one day side is in real need of an overhaul, so at least England can claw back a bit of self-respect!

I can't remember what he did tbf.

England have been really good again today - bowling was excellent throughout and has allowed them to ease through this chase with the odd wobble. Excellent batting at the end from Woakes to regain final momentum, to add to really tight bowling and two run outs, great to see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Anybody find it sad that Hales back playing. Forget Stokes, his actions were cowardly and disgusting that night

I think the way of the world is, that people have very short memories when it comes to the misdemeanors of sports stars, who are at least quite good. Playing Devil's advocate (as I don't think I agree), maybe there's a case to say you should just pick the best people for the team, and forget off field behavior.

It's a tricky one though. I often find myself conflicted about John Terry for instance.

Another great win for England's ODI team, that's the series. A 5-0 whitewash looks a good chance too. Buttler superb, and to win that one with one of our key bowlers off the pitch injured made it even sweeter. Never seen an England ODI team this good before.

• Like 4

Â