Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

If you take a step back and look at what we've seen over this series both teams are rewriting the rules of 50 over cricket, this might be the start of a major change to the game, it's even more remarkable when you consider England have essentially done it "overnight" with just a simple change of mentality, this isn't a grassroots thing it's just a change in attitude.

England score highest run total by a team in a five-match series - 1,617

Most boundaries from both sides in a five-match series - 390

England score most boundaries in a five-match series by any team - 209

First time a combined 3,000 runs is surpassed in a five-match series - 3,151

New Zealand score their highest total of runs in a five-match series - 1,534

• Like 1

Moores has gone and look at how much of a decent side we look all of a sudden.

2014 should just be forgotten and as far as im concerned the Moores/Downton era never happened.

The problem with Bell (and Cook) is not their ability, but their mental strength.

I heard Vaughn talking about Bell on the radio the other day and he said he had never known a player, with such great technical ability, to have such a fragile confidence. Cook is similar to me, great when the goings good, but struggles with both his own game and the captaincy in the face of adversity.

As Pong pointed out, this series has been played in a very 'jolly good show' fashion, competitive yes, but lots of back slapping and pleasantries between sides.

The snarling Aussies are a different prospect. We need a fast start to give us a chance and keep confidence high.

Can't really agree about either. The fact both have come back from adversity several times shows they have great mental strength. Was it the 2008 or 9 ashes Bell was dropped but came back and was outstanding in Australia, as well as being the best player in both teams the last ashes here. Bell is very much a form player and  all it needs for him is to go back to his county, score runs then watch him go. 

Cook went through a terrible prolonged spell, but the selectors showed faith and now his form is excellent again. 

With Bell I kept thinking. he's going to be one of the greats but then his form goes and his average drops. He'll end up a very good player but not a great.

Fair points Paul. Maybe mental strength might have been the wrong choice of words. The fragility of that strength is more what I am getting at.

Eg, if Cook and Bell both have decent knocks in the first test, then yes I can see them building from that and having a great series.

If Johnson or Starc go smashing through them early on and th Aussies 'get in their heads' then it could be a long summer for both. Not quite 'Trottesque', but something similar.

I just think they are fragile and confidence remains on a bit of a knifedge.

Yes you could be right. I think the Aussie bowling attack is far superior to the New Zealand one. According to Swann Johnson may not play. Starc and Hazelwood were brilliant in West Indies and Ryan Harris is fit again. 

Good win for the Bears today. Was getting fairly annoyed at Sky (Nasser in particular) creaming over the team Yorkshire "could have put out", like no other teams lose players to international sides or injury. Also going OTT about Maxwell and Finch. Oh how I laughed when Maxwell went for a duck! 

Yes you could be right. I think the Aussie bowling attack is far superior to the New Zealand one. According to Swann Johnson may not play. Starc and Hazelwood were brilliant in West Indies and Ryan Harris is fit again. 

Siddle will be dropped as well so its not a bad bowling bench if one of other 4 will also be dropped

Agree with Dave's comments about Sky, be even sweeter if we turn over Lancs next Friday too. The bleating will be non-stop if we do. 

Do worry about Chopra's form in the T20 especially, but he captains a very steady and consistent side and I'm sure he'll hit some form soon. 

Now, for McCullum  :twisted:

Went to Bears v Pears a few weeks ago and I'm actually staggered at how Pears can be top of the league. They had nothing which suggested to me they had enough to compete, Bears didn't play well and still won at a canter. Obviously caught them on a bad day, or they've had some players back (I know Ali has been playing the last few games). 

Makes it interesting though, especially now a few overseas players are starting to trickle in. Yorkshire have had their big overseas players from the start, but with both being Australian they are going to lose them once the Ashes starts and any Indian and New Zealand players will come in for the other teams (including McCullum for Bears), Yorkshire will be annoyed they haven't got themselves higher in the league with that advantage, but when you look at the players they don't have available as they're off with England it's hardly a surprise. I hope Yorkshire do get to Finals Day as there will be a lot of big players on display if they all get recalled.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

Went to Bears v Pears a few weeks ago and I'm actually staggered at how Pears can be top of the league. They had nothing which suggested to me they had enough to compete, Bears didn't play well and still won at a canter. Obviously caught them on a bad day, or they've had some players back (I know Ali has been playing the last few games). 

Makes it interesting though, especially now a few overseas players are starting to trickle in. Yorkshire have had their big overseas players from the start, but with both being Australian they are going to lose them once the Ashes starts and any Indian and New Zealand players will come in for the other teams (including McCullum for Bears), Yorkshire will be annoyed they haven't got themselves higher in the league with that advantage, but when you look at the players they don't have available as they're off with England it's hardly a surprise. I hope Yorkshire do get to Finals Day as there will be a lot of big players on display if they all get recalled.

They are a young team so bound to be some inconsistency. Also Al 65 off 24 ball as well as 3 wickets in last game makes a huge difference. And t20 is very unpredictable. Warwickshire loose easily to leicester on Friday yet beat Yorks easily yesterday. 

i like the look of the young leg spinner Poysden. Has remarkable good control for a wrist spinner. He's going to make it I think. 

Edited by PaulC

Ha Ha. Yeah, it's wasted on me.

s3oegm.jpg

Skipped the actual match for this one, but had to stick around for Hampshire the other day.

They were twatting it about a bit, there's pyros and they play the Rolling Stones now and then.

If my phone had a camera, I'd put up some pics from the Pavilion and Media Centre ;)

Edited by Xann

Â