Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Happy days! Didn't make it along in the end, but watched the majority of it on TV. Bears were worthy winners, and I'm letting all my Durham mates know that!  :D

100% agree about Kieswetter too. Really sad he's had to retire at such a young age. 

Fantastic performance and some good signs for the future. That said, one swallow doesn't make a summer and NZ probably mentally gave up when a couple wickets down chasing such a huge score.

Hopefully they stay focused and committed to a new, more aggressive game rather than spend to long congratulating themselves. NZ won't be this bad next time.

undone by the weather, went from needing 54 off 37 balls overs and on top, to 34 from 13 coming out cold and the batsmen having no chance to get their eye back in. will never understand the Duckworth-Lewis method.

Why could they not just have played on? they have floodlights, is finishing at 21:45 instead of 21:25 that much of an issue

some great cricket by both sides though

At Vauxhall station on my way home .... Great game but robbed by the DL ... Mind you at £4.80 a pint England weren't the only ones robbed today !!

Edited by tonyh29

I actually don't mind that we lost, this is an England we have all wanted to see for ages in the one day form of the game and it is bloody brilliant. With Moores gone you can see the shackles have really been released from this side and they are showing to a man what they are capable of, great stuff. 

Also, great win for Warwickshire Birmingham tonight in the T20, gutted to have missed the run chase but I didn't think they would get back on. Hannon-Dalby was superb with the ball and to be fair Poysden was also impressive and deserved more than his 1 wicket. 

• Like 2

undone by the weather, went from needing 54 off 37 balls overs and on top, to 34 from 13 coming out cold and the batsmen having no chance to get their eye back in. will never understand the Duckworth-Lewis method.

Why could they not just have played on? they have floodlights, is finishing at 21:45 instead of 21:25 that much of an issue

some great cricket by both sides though

I assume as the Oval is in an urban area they have to have a cut off point for the floodlights, policing, transport, stewarding etc. Shame for England but I think they'd have struggled to chase the 54, although they had a better chance before the rain. In theory the DL method should give the teams the same chance of winning before and after the rain and it didn't quite seem right. It's still the best way of doing things though, just needs continual improvements.

Yes to be fair New Zealand were still favs to win before they came off.DL takes into account the number of wickets you have left and hence why the revised target was tough on England.  You can't just give England the same run rate off a lesser number of overs. The fact is England could have lost wickets during the number of overs that were lost because of rain. Would it be fairer to give England the same run rate but with just 1 wicket left? To me it  was fair!

Edited by PaulC

Â