Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Give me a test match over the shorter form of the game, but this ODI series against New Zealand has been fantastic. Not entirely sure why I didn't get a ticket for the decider, as it's only being played up the road. Feeling a tad gutted about that.

• Like 1

When England play like they have done against NZ, both formats are exciting to watch.

I'm still fearful of the Aussies, but if we can carry on playing with this new ethos of confidence, freedom and agreession, then it will certainly be closer than I feared a few weeks back. I think we might win a test or two in the Ashes and we might even edge them in the one day series. The improvement recently has been immeasurable.

I've got concerns about our opening 3 in the batting line up (test), but the emergence of Woods has eased some of my concern about the bowling attack, though the pack of a top class front line spinner is a worry.

Confidence will be key, a good result in the 1st Test and who knows.

If England's key players can perform at their best then it could be close. Fact is, under Moores and Cook the team was playing well below its ability and it could have been very embarrassing again for the Ashes. Cook is still there but hopefully Bayliss will have some inside knowledge that could make a difference.

My thoughts...

I went to Edgbaston for the NZ ODI and it was cricket like I'd not seen at level before, full on, attacking, committed, strong performance. Also, it was a very friendly occasion, NZ being absolute gentleman and England happy to oblige. I think this took a lot off pressure off England and allowed that kind of performance (in other ODIs too). Credit to NZ for a fantastic test too, been a delight to watch. BUT... any other game, won't be this polite and won't be this relaxed, and this is when we struggle. In both ODI and Test Cricket we lack any real strength of character, there is a very talented and technically gifted bunch of cricketers but a real lack of balls. With the benefit of maybe one or two players, when you're up against Oz and they're in your face and up your arse at every opportunity it's a completely different game. We don't have the strength or the character like that any more and I expect a massively disappointing defeat again for the Ashes sadly. (and I'm 100% KP back but I'm not even considering him for this argument)

Unlike the world cup the pressure is off england in this series. We can afford to play this attacking cricket and still get praised if we loose. Can they bring this type of cricket to the world cup or champions trophy! 

I think the top 3 are fine. Bell has proven he can win an ashes for England. Spin is the big worry. The fact Moeen has been selected for the pre ashes camp, not Rashid means Moeen will be playing at least the start of the series. if he can get back to bowling like he did against India, 19 wickets, in the series, more than Swann ever got against India, then it won't be an issue. So glad the they didn't listen to all the idiots on sky who were pushing for Rashid, who would get destroyed by the Aussies. Leg Spinners are a thing of the past, unless you are great like Warne, too easy to read, too many bad balls.  Tahir is the best in the world and look how he struggles. The media love them though. 

Edited by PaulC

The problem with Bell (and Cook) is not their ability, but their mental strength.

I heard Vaughn talking about Bell on the radio the other day and he said he had never known a player, with such great technical ability, to have such a fragile confidence. Cook is similar to me, great when the goings good, but struggles with both his own game and the captaincy in the face of adversity.

As Pong pointed out, this series has been played in a very 'jolly good show' fashion, competitive yes, but lots of back slapping and pleasantries between sides.

The snarling Aussies are a different prospect. We need a fast start to give us a chance and keep confidence high.

The problem with Bell (and Cook) is not their ability, but their mental strength.

I heard Vaughn talking about Bell on the radio the other day and he said he had never known a player, with such great technical ability, to have such a fragile confidence. Cook is similar to me, great when the goings good, but struggles with both his own game and the captaincy in the face of adversity.

As Pong pointed out, this series has been played in a very 'jolly good show' fashion, competitive yes, but lots of back slapping and pleasantries between sides.

The snarling Aussies are a different prospect. We need a fast start to give us a chance and keep confidence high.

Can't really agree about either. The fact both have come back from adversity several times shows they have great mental strength. Was it the 2008 or 9 ashes Bell was dropped but came back and was outstanding in Australia, as well as being the best player in both teams the last ashes here. Bell is very much a form player and  all it needs for him is to go back to his county, score runs then watch him go. 

Cook went through a terrible prolonged spell, but the selectors showed faith and now his form is excellent again. 

With Bell I kept thinking. he's going to be one of the greats but then his form goes and his average drops. He'll end up a very good player but not a great. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

How on earth is Cosgrove a professional sportsman, never mind a captain of a sports team? He looks fatter than Samit Patel which is an achievement in itself.

On Warwickshire, Chopra and Evans were woeful, Bell was unlucky to get out but at least he was trying to score quickly and Ambrose and Porterfield did well although they scored way too slowly from around the 5-10 over mark. Ambrose hitting the ball straight to Cosgrove at mid wicket 3-4 times for 0 runs in one particular over really pissed me off as either side of him and it's four.

Patel was the pick of the bowlers again. Rankin really needs to start performing again soon.

But Chopra really needs to pull something out the bag sooner rather than later-

His run of T20 Scores this season- (Latest first)

2 vs Leicstershire

0 vs Notts

15 vs Durham

16 vs Northants

22 vs Worcestershore

80 vs Notts

His 4 day form is equally as bad at the moment. Definitly a growing concern going forward.

• Like 1

He hasn't been good in 4 day cricket for a couple of years now. Was it all down to the batsmen though? Did the bowlers get their lines right?

We'll be ok we have McCullum coming in after the next match.  Worry about that bowling attack though. 

Edited by PaulC

Because he's not good enough either as a bowler or batsman for international cricket. Too much of a bits and pieces player. He averages 32 with the bat and 35 with the ball. 

Edited by PaulC

Because he's not good enough either as a bowler or batsman for international cricket. Too much of a bits and pieces player. He averages 32 with the bat and 35 with the ball. 

must have just watched him in the right games ;)

Â