Zlatan Ibrahimovic

mikeyp102

Would he cut the mustard in the prem?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Would he cut the mustard in the prem?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

15 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's in the top 10 all time top MLS goalscorers, I think he has the best goals to games ratio out of the lot LOL

He is (was?) the only player to have scored 20+ goals in 2 or more MLS seasons. 

• 4 weeks later...

So as expected it's now confirmed that there will be no Zlatan at the WC in the summer.

Was never really going to happen but he milked it very well to promote his non football ventures and create attention for his betting company and other stuff.

Can't say I really blame him but it might be a bit douchey towards his former teammates. 

Still, shame he wont be playing for us.

Thou I expect he will be present in Russia for the WC working for some media company or something like that. Too good an opportunity for self promotion to miss out on.

• Like 1

As expected.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic won't play for Sweden in the World Cup this summer. But he won't be with the Galaxy in June after the club gave its star forward permission to fly to Russia and make personal appearances on behalf of his sponsors, including Visa.

Ibrahimovic isn't expected to sit out any MLS games during his absence, although neither the player nor the team would say how long he'll be gone.

Ibrahimovic, who played in two World Cups and holds the national team record for goals with 62 in 116 appearances, retired from international play after Sweden was bounced from the 2016 European Championships in the first round. But since joining the Galaxy last month, he has broadly hinted that he might try out for Sweden's World Cup team.

That possibility was dashed Thursday in a post on the Swedish national team's Instagram page.

"A final message," it read in Swedish. "Zlatan will not play in the World Cup."

Read a statement on the team's website: "Zlatan Ibrahimovic has previously refused to play on the national team — and he has not changed."

"I talked to Zlatan on Tuesday," added national team manager Lars Richt. "He announced that he did not change his mind about the national team — it is no."

Ibrahimovic confirmed as much after the Galaxy's training session Thursday but insisted he was still going to Russia, adding that he wouldn't be playing or doing TV work. And while he wouldn't say what he would be doing, posts on his social media accounts indicated to his more than 62 million followers that he would be working for companies he has endorsed and Visa confirmed that Ibrahimovic would appear at one of its events.

"We definitely want to celebrate Zlatan being there," a Visa spokesperson said.

Visa is one of FIFA's seven global corporate partners.

MLS's schedule will continue during the World Cup, though the Galaxy have no games between June 9 and June 30, when group-stage games will be played. Team president Chris Klein said that Ibrahimovic asked the Galaxy for permission to leave during that time and the team gave its blessing.

"He has our approval and he's not going to miss much training or any games," Klein said. "This was pre-approved and done in his mind with the intention that he didn't miss any time with us."

Klein said that Ibrahimovic's sponsor appearances were agreed to before the player joined MLS.

"He had some obligations and ran it by us," Klein said, "and we ticked all of the boxes in terms of approval from all of our people. So it was done before he signed."

Ibrahimovic isn't the first Galaxy player to be given special travel privileges. David Beckham was absent for three games during the summer of 2012 to attend the London Olympics and Steven Gerrard returned home to serve as a TV analyst during the 2016 European Championships.

One player who figures to miss considerable time with the Galaxy this spring, however, is right back Rolf Feltscher, who suffered a torn muscle in his chest during an awkward fall in training this week. He could be sidelined for two to three months, although the team said it hasn't decided how to precede with Feltscher's rehab.

"We're waiting to see exactly what the final resolution is and what the timeline would look like," coach Sigi Schmid said.

When Feltscher sits out Saturday's home game against the New York Red Bulls, he will become the ninth starter to be sidelined because of injury, suspension or international duty this season. The Galaxy are so hobbled that Schmid hasn't been able to use the same lineup twice in his team's first eight games. And the Galaxy started last Saturday with a short bench after midfielder Jonathan dos Santos suffered an injury during warmups.

Dos Santos is sidelined again this week because of a calf strain, which could impact his chances of being chosen for Mexico's World Cup team. Dos Santos and older brother Giovani, who is slowed because of a hamstring strain, had hoped to play together in Russia but between them they have been sidelined for seven games with the Galaxy this season.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-galaxy-ibrahimovic-20180426-story.html

54 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Zlatan's World Cup record:

2002- Didn't start a game.

2006- Didn't score a goal and replaced at half time in one game.

2010- Didn't qualify

2014- Didn't qualify.

I seem to remember him coming on against Senegal and being extremely wasteful.

From what I understand there has never really been any chance of him going to the WC, and the Swedish FA and has known this all along.

Zlatan has played with the idea in public as a publicity stunt and to create attention for him, his betting company and the MLS.

But since the Swedish national side didn't want this issue to disrupt the build up to the WC the made it public and clear once and for all.

There is no bad blood, no one has been a prick and Zlatan will still go to the WC but not as a player.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, sne said:

36175854_10156383804255903_3124944807873478656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=69bf8b6da5192f60c60b2bd1c7c404ea&oe=5BAF411C

For anyone watching the games on Swedish telly.

Zlatan is in 95% of all the commercials shown around the games.

Its embarassing actually, I just got here and he is everywhere. 

Desperate attempt to stay relevant

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Its embarassing actually, I just got here and he is everywhere. 

Desperate attempt to stay relevant

Think it's more about making money.

He's a businessman, and just like Beckham he is his brand.

But it's all getting way way too much.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

In all of the tens of thousands of your posts on this site, I think this is only the second piece of personal info I've learned about you. 

I've updated my mental rolodex from 'is Irish' to 'is Irish, and went to Sweden once'. 

My hatred of Martin O'Neill not personal information ;)

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

My hatred of Martin O'Neill not personal information ;)

No, I wasn't counting your posting history on the site, so not your dislikes of Martin O'Neill or James Chester, or your idiosyncratic use of the verb 'to be' :P

• 2 weeks later...
Â