Zlatan Ibrahimovic

mikeyp102

Would he cut the mustard in the prem?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Would he cut the mustard in the prem?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Would u say the same if England took Wayne Rooney?

England has Kane, Vardy, Rashford... all of whom are better than Rooney.

Sweden has Berg, Toivonen, Kiese-Thelin and Guidetti who combined doesn't have even close to the ability Zlatan has in his left big toe alone.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, sne said:

Nah.

Henrik Larsson did the same thing retiring from the national side and came back, twice.

I'd love to have him back.

Edit: I get why some people would not want him back.

But you have to be realistic. Our current striker options have done a great job in the qualifiers, but.

Marcus Berg is playing in the UAE.

Toivonen is stuck on the bench in Toulouse.

Guidetti stuck on the bench in Celta Vigo.

Kiese-Thelin is out on loan from Anderlecht to Beveren in Belgium...

Zlatan is one of the greats of his generation and unlike what many think he is very much a responsible team player even thou his body language doesn't always look like it.

It would however totally change the group dynamics in the squad and that is always a risk.

Didn't realize how bad it was to be honest - I thought most if not all of the strikers were at least regulars at top-flight clubs in major European leagues.

How the hell did you guys manage to score enough goals to qualify?

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

Would u say the same if England took Wayne Rooney?

It's not the same though.

If Wayne Rooney was still the best English striker around then nobody would have a problem. The reason people would object is because he's not very good anymore.

Assuming Zlatan recovers from his injury, he's still probably the best striker Sweden have. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, legov said:

Didn't realize how bad it was to be honest - I thought most if not all of the strikers were at least regulars at top-flight clubs in major European leagues.

How the hell did you guys manage to score enough goals to qualify?

Well Marcus Berg scored 8, he is a very good poacher when in form.

Our best player atm Emil Forsberg chipped in with 4 from midfield

Toivonen had 3

Our defenders combined for 7 goals!

And then we had a bunch of players who scored the odd goal.

We managed to score a total of 26 goals in the group stages which is 8 more than France did in the same group. (9 of those goals did come in the 2 games against Luxembourg)

There's a huge difference between retiring from Sweden because a 36 year old thinks his body is more likely to remain better, for longer by not playing an extra 10 games a season, when already playing in about 40 games a season, to play in what will most likely be 4 or 5 more games in a huge tournament every 2 years...  

than..

Not being arsed.

And if you can't see the difference.. well.. I'm done.

Zlatan has served his country extremely well over the years (some England players should take a look).  If the manager thinks he's worthy of a place on the plane, then he'll go I'm sure.

The tournament will be better with him in it.  

• Like 2

Non story, coach dosen't want him to come back. Given the job he's done since he took over I think you have to trust him on this one.

Sweden can certainly get out of their group. Zlatan didn't do much at euro 2016 anyway, ROI marked him out of the game I seem to remember.

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:34, VillaChris said:

Non story, coach dosen't want him to come back. Given the job he's done since he took over I think you have to trust him on this one.

Sweden can certainly get out of their group. Zlatan didn't do much at euro 2016 anyway, ROI marked him out of the game I seem to remember.

If he fails to get out of the group the Swedish Media will be on his back

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

If he fails to get out of the group the Swedish Media will be on his back

No they wont, he got them to world cup for first time since 2006 and is better tjan the last clown

The reason Sweden "look better without him" is down to no longer having the Swedish Tim Sherwood - Erik Hamrén as manager.

A fit and motivate Zlatan is certainly good enough to improve this Sweden side.

And Janne Andersson is good enough a manager to be able to handle and incorporate Zlatan should the situation arise.

Couldn't agree more. 

(Google translated)

THOMAS WILBACHER

"Stray Disappointment and Stop Playing Professors"

published November 25, 2017 at 09.42

Imagine if the majority of Swedes could stop playing professors in group psychology, outrage the dissatisfaction, and realize that a World Cup with Zlatan in the squad would be so much fun and the chances of new achievements so much bigger?

Thomas Wilbacher

Following the advancement of the World Cup in Russia, Demoskop made an opinion poll with the Swedish people. 

The question: Do they want to bring Zlatan Ibrahimovic to the championship? 

63 percent answered no. 

There are certainly reasonable explanations for the negative attitude about a comeback in the national team for Sweden's best football player throughout the ages. As for example, the question was made in connection with a great Swedish performance that Zlatan did not contribute to. But at the same time there was something in that majority that made me feel unhappy. Almost feeling some kind of betrayal. Like the anti-Zlatan mob that grew itself both big and strong in the middle of the 21st century, stayed in hibernation and now woke up again. It's easy to forget about the dark sides of Zlatan's bluish career. 

There was a time when the same majority of Swedes thought Zlatan was most a freaky bastard who did not "fit in" into the blue-colored collective. 

He has always gone his own way and got into the Swedish public home.

It is easy to think of all the goals, titles and amazing achievements that Zlatan had for his rare successful career. It is after all the achievements of the soccer field that make him our best ever. Personally, however, I hold the person Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and what he did for the development of Swedish football even higher. How he broke land for young immigrant times and demonstrated that it is possible to succeed even for someone who does not fit the Swedish norm.

Zlatan rather eliminated old rules and created new conditions for a broader and larger group of children and adolescents. I am a couple of years older than Zlatan and have been involved as both players and leaders in this development. 

One can say that Zlatan created a fiercer football world. And that was exactly what we needed. 

I'm like everybody else lyrical about Janne Andersson's miracle year. I agree with the tribute chorus that elevates group dynamics, cohesion and the collective. After Zlatan's farewell, new players got to shine and at last we once again had a joint Swedish team game as we used to see it through the decades. When the Swedish supporters sang about hundreds of thousands of men from Svea Land and thousands of people raised Jannes country team to World Cup, tears fell on San Siro. I have lived this World Cup qualifiers just like everyone else. 

A week ago, Zlatan played his first few minutes since his knee injury. I think we were quite a few who shouted when he knocked a height ball by half a meter. The thoughts went back to Tomas Brolins in all ways depressing comeback on the plan as a gambling coach at Crystal Palace, when after a few minutes he realized that his career was over.

Then something happened. Zlatan fell down and picked up the ball in the middle, calling out Lukaku to the edge, took position centrally in the penalty area and was cycling in a dream goal. I actually think he looked easier in the body than in this cursed match against Anderlecht this spring. 

Now we stand here before another Saturday with sky-high expectations no matter how long the game is going to Brighton. Zlatan is back and his presence has, as you already hear, made me nostalgic.

How long will we continue to marvel at the talent and enjoy his game? Will it end this summer? Will he continue a season? The damage caused us to start to realize that the sand grains in the upper part of the hourglass are starting to end. 

I am convinced that Zlatan's return to Manchester United will make the team good and that the chances of success have increased. It also makes Manchester Untied supporters. 

Imagine if even the majority of Swedes could stop playing professors in group psychology, strive for dissatisfaction, and realize that a World Cup with Zlatan in the squad would be so much fun and the chances of new achievements would be much greater. 

Personally, I think the only reasonable thing would be a joint persuasion campaign - Zlatan to the World Cup!

https://www.expressen.se/sport/kronikorer/thomas-wilbacher/stryp-missunnsamheten-och-sluta-lek-professorer/

• 3 months later...

Had forgot all about him last few months. Looks like the injury has killed off his career at the very top level which is why Man. United let him go now and not in May. Also think that's why he'd struggle to make an impact in the world cup.

Â