Zlatan Ibrahimovic

mikeyp102

Would he cut the mustard in the prem?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Would he cut the mustard in the prem?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Completely this. If either of them get away with less than Bacuna then I just don't get it. Two premeditated attacks which were both borderline assault.

I don't get the argument of if someone trod on my head then I'd deliberately try and smash an elbow into their skull either. Is it just me that finds this defence slightly disturbing. 

No, I feel the same way. 

3 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Completely this. If either of them get away with less than Bacuna then I just don't get it. Two premeditated attacks which were both borderline assault.

I don't get the argument of if someone trod on my head then I'd deliberately try and smash an elbow into their skull either. Is it just me that finds this defence slightly disturbing. 

The Bacuna incident is a complete overstep of the lines of conduct.  Nowhere near as aggressive, but you simply shouldn't be (and, thankfully, can't be) physically aggressive with match officials.

The second bit I think you're being naive with, to be honest.  If someone stamps on your head in a competitive game, you're going to want to lamp them.  I'm not condoning an elbow, obviously horrible, but I "understand" why Zlatan went for him.  That said, I think Zlatan tried to stamp on Mings which lead to Mings stamping on him...

I do think Mings might have meant it but watching the replay, Rooney gets up and disrupts his balance when he tries jump over Zlatan

Zlatan elbow is a normal heading movement but can see he puts more into his elevation

I turned this game off at half time, utterly disgusted.

The Bournemouth player who was eventually sent off got a yellow before this incident for a completely legitimate tackle. No studs up, not from behind and clearly ball first. ManUre player goes down like a sack of spuds, which helps sway the ref.

The commentators? "The ref got that one right". Absolute garbage.

Then, after Zlatan's premeditated and obvious pay back elbow, the ref red cards the Bournemouth player for a small push after the incident (which - like all good ManUre players - Zlatan plays on and throws himself to the ground). The result for Zlatan? Not even a free kick. Even the one-eyed commentators couldn't believe that one.

And now I'm hearing a defense of "if I'd got my head stepped on I'd smash him" as some sort of justification for Zlatan's elbow. You bloody what?

I've played in a game where my own player deliberately elbowed an opposing player in the head while going for a header and sent him to the hospital literally in fits. My team mates had to hold me back from thumping my own player. It's as gutless an act as you'll ever see.

And as for Mings - I fail to see how he meant to do that. He takes an overstep to clear Zlatan and his eyes are on where the ball is coming from. From experience, it's not nice to receive one of those - but it's hardly premeditated like Zlatan's decapitation attempt.

Zlatan should get weeks for this and the ref dropped from the Premier League for his performance.

48 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I turned this game off at half time, utterly disgusted.

The Bournemouth player who was eventually sent off got a yellow before this incident for a completely legitimate tackle. No studs up, not from behind and clearly ball first. ManUre player goes down like a sack of spuds, which helps sway the ref.

The commentators? "The ref got that one right". Absolute garbage.

Then, after Zlatan's premeditated and obvious pay back elbow, the ref red cards the Bournemouth player for a small push after the incident (which - like all good ManUre players - Zlatan plays on and throws himself to the ground). The result for Zlatan? Not even a free kick. Even the one-eyed commentators couldn't believe that one.

And now I'm hearing a defense of "if I'd got my head stepped on I'd smash him" as some sort of justification for Zlatan's elbow. You bloody what?

I've played in a game where my own player deliberately elbowed an opposing player in the head while going for a header and sent him to the hospital literally in fits. My team mates had to hold me back from thumping my own player. It's as gutless an act as you'll ever see.

And as for Mings - I fail to see how he meant to do that. He takes an overstep to clear Zlatan and his eyes are on where the ball is coming from. From experience, it's not nice to receive one of those - but it's hardly premeditated like Zlatan's decapitation attempt.

Zlatan should get weeks for this and the ref dropped from the Premier League for his performance.

I was reading your post like, alright - seems a fair point of view on the events of the game.

Then I got the the bolded part and mentally slammed the brakes on.

Are you serious? It was unquestionably retaliation to being thrown to the floor and Zlatan leaving his foot it a split second earlier. His eyes were on the ball?! He pretty much, like the terminator, picks out his head as he prepares to hurdle. Yes he looks away as he's in the air, because he's already nailed down his target. If there was even any doubt, the force that he throws his foot down could not in any way be seen as accidental.

It's not nice to receive them? not nice? Had Mings caught Ibrahimovic in the eye with his blades would the conversation still be the same?

If we're having to describe one or the other as a 'decapitation attempt', I can't fathom why you would pick the elbow over the kick to the head.

Before anyone tries this angle - I'm not defending Zlatan and what he did was disgusting too.

Edited by a m ole

That's a fair comment - but I still don't see it that way.

If Mings intended to catch Zlatan, he did a lousy job. He could have stamped. He could have caught him full in the side of the head. As it is, he's just clipped him. I have no doubt Zlatan was incensed by it - but the intention is not there for mine.

Zlatan, however, didn't miss. And it was not a "in the motion of going for a header" incident, as the commentators tried to spin it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

If Mings intended to catch Zlatan, he did a lousy job. He could have stamped. He could have caught him full in the side of the head. As it is, he's just clipped him. I have no doubt Zlatan was incensed by it - but the intention is not there for mine.

Zlatan, however, didn't miss. And it was not a "in the motion of going for a header" incident, as the commentators tried to spin it.

Nah, Mings looks at him and then looks away as he goes for the "stamp" to make it look accidental.  It's a completely cowardly thing to do (clipped, lol).  As Jamie Carragher eluded to in the studio, Mings will have known that he caught Zlatan - he doesn't apologise or do anything once the ball has gone out of play to suggest that it was an accidental collision.

13 hours ago, bobzy said:

Nah, Mings looks at him and then looks away as he goes for the "stamp" to make it look accidental.  It's a completely cowardly thing to do (clipped, lol).  As Jamie Carragher eluded to in the studio, Mings will have known that he caught Zlatan - he doesn't apologise or do anything once the ball has gone out of play to suggest that it was an accidental collision.

That much is true. He'd certainly have known he made contact on something.

Having said that, I've been unfortunate enough to have had my head stamped on playing pub football.  I stand by "clipped".

22 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Agreed, nothing more than a love tap. 

As a professional footballer Ibra should know better than to retaliate like that.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dismissing how bad the stamp was but DON'T RETALIATE WITH CAMERAS ON YOU!!!

But the main thing that p***ed me off was the fact Wayne Rooney said he saw it clear as day, he had he back turned looking at the ref!!!

both should receive 10 game bans, considering Bacuna got 6.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rda91avfc said:

As a professional footballer Ibra should know better than to retaliate like that.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dismissing how bad the stamp was but DON'T RETALIATE WITH CAMERAS ON YOU!!!

But the main thing that p***ed me off was the fact Wayne Rooney said he saw it clear as day, he had he back turned looking at the ref!!!

both should receive 10 game bans, considering Bacuna got 6.

Yeah, I thought that :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Holy ***** what a word removed that Mings is. Elbow him back, but stamping at his head at full throttle is cretinous. Could have really messed him up. So was Zlatans elbow in reaction to that or?

Yeah the Zlatan elbow was after the stamp. Mings might've got away with it, if he hadn't clearly turned his head to look at where Ibra's head was before stamping on it.

I'm genuinely flabbergasted that anyone could think Mings didn't mean it. Just listened to the football ramble and they were unanimous (or the two that agreed on it weren't challenged by the other two) in thinking it was an accident.

I can only think it's a case of no priors, player from Eddie Howe's plucky little Bournemouth on big bad Zlatan from Mourinhos Man Utd clouding judgement.

The guy is on the floor seconds before he jumps up in the air, there wasn't even any need to hurdle him, it was far quicker to run around.

Seriously baffled!

Edited by a m ole

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yeah the Zlatan elbow was after the stamp. Mings might've got away with it, if he hadn't clearly turned his head to look at where Ibra's head was before stamping on it.

If that's the case, Zlatans reaction was very tame in comparison. I would have tried to beat his ass right then and there if he did that to me.

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

I'm genuinely flabbergasted that anyone could think Mings didn't mean it. Just listened to the football ramble and they were unanimous (or the two that agreed on it weren't challenged by the other two) in thinking it was an accident.

I can only think it's a case of no priors, player from Eddie Howe's plucky little Bournemouth on big bad Zlatan from Mourinhos Man Utd clouding judgement.

The guy is on the floor seconds before he jumps up in the air, there wasn't even any need to hurdle him, it was far quicker to run around.

Seriously baffled!

I'm not convinced it was intentional.

Might have been, but I don't think it's as obvious as some people are making out.

Â