Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I have noticed that the Bluetooth with Sony phones can be abit wierd. For example connects comfortably to Sony speakers, or Samsung ones but never connects to my cousins beats Bluetooth speaker. Yet apple iPhone connect to them no problem. I think it must be done deliberately with now apple owning beats. 

Try clearing the app data for "Throw". 

That got me for a while too. "throw" seems to be a sony programme that manages the bluetooth connections. I dunno why it's needed as Android does that perfectly well on its own. I tried disabling throw all together because I was struggling to connect to things, but that really **** it up. When i re-enabled it and cleared data it has worked fine since.

I can connect to stuff fine now, but when it's connected it goes through stages of being really jerky and sounding like it's skipping.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Try clearing the app data for "Throw". 

That got me for a while too. "throw" seems to be a sony programme that manages the bluetooth connections. I dunno why it's needed as Android does that perfectly well on its own. I tried disabling throw all together because I was struggling to connect to things, but that really **** it up. When i re-enabled it and cleared data it has worked fine since.

I can connect to stuff fine now, but when it's connected it goes through stages of being really jerky and sounding like it's skipping.

Thanks for the tip I will try this out. Bit frustrating aspect but this must be a android issue then not a sony problem only. 

No, it's a Sony issue if it's the same thing. "Throw" is a Sony app/programme.

A vanilla android device wouldn't have that. My Nexus 5, for example, I had for over 2 years and not once had any problems with Bluetooth.

It could be another rogue app.  I had bluetooth issues for a while on my Nexus 4 and it was due to some app I had installed.  Sadly I can't remember the name of the app which was causing the issue but then I don't suppose it matters anyway as it was a couple of years and several updates ago. You might find that you can troubleshoot the problem by going through every app you have installed though. 

The trouble started as soon as I got the phone, so it must have been something pre-installed on it.

I'm pretty sure it's Throw. When I tried to disable it the bluetooth stopped working altogether, and when I re-enabled it and cleared data, the problem stopped.

• Like 1

I bought a cheap phone from China, just to try out. Settled on a Lenovo K3 Note. Bloody hell, it rivals the Samsung s6 for performance and cost me a whopping 102 USD with free shipping.

Dual Sim, 5.5 inch display, octacore cpu, 2 gig ram, 16 gig storage and SDcard expansion

The only drawback is that it's missing a LTE band widly used here so it's mostly 3g where I live. And I didn't trust the Chinese android installation so I put a custom rom on it. Very easily done though.

Highly recommended if you need a VERY cheap phone with flagship performance.

Edited by Tegis

Yeah personally I think the days of spending £400-600 on a "flagship" phone are over considering the complete lack of innovation with mobile phones. The market has gone stale and the Chinese companies are now easily replicating the hardware for a fraction of the cost. The only thing you really have to worry about is if something goes wrong, but at $102 it's worth the risk. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah personally I think the days of spending £400-600 on a "flagship" phone are over considering the complete lack of innovation with mobile phones. The market has gone stale and the Chinese companies are now easily replicating the hardware for a fraction of the cost. The only thing you really have to worry about is if something goes wrong, but at $102 it's worth the risk. 

But, but, but "fingerprint sensors"

:) 

• Like 1

To be fair the fingerprint sensor on my Z5 is really good.

Pointless as you can just use a pin to override it. But it works almost flawlessly.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair the fingerprint sensor on my Z5 is really good.

Pointless as you can just use a pin to override it. But it works almost flawlessly.

Have you tried to unlock it with other peoples' fingers though? Or when our hands are sticky or wet or whatever? Biometrics lead to a sense of security which is often false. Police evidence rules require 17 points of similarity to provide a likely fingerprint match. I doubt the sensors on phones are remotely near that as they don't need to be. It would be interesting to know how many people match your pattern in the population and what the chances are that a random could unlock your phone. It's not something that gets discussed though.

My phone is unlocked when in range (BT connected) of my Pebble. Otherwise it needs a PIN.

Having seen someone open a finger print lock with a flat, black and white, printed picture of a fingerprint, I don't think I'd trust a fingerprint scanner with anything.

55 minutes ago, limpid said:

Have you tried to unlock it with other peoples' fingers though? Or when our hands are sticky or wet or whatever? Biometrics lead to a sense of security which is often false. Police evidence rules require 17 points of similarity to provide a likely fingerprint match. I doubt the sensors on phones are remotely near that as they don't need to be. It would be interesting to know how many people match your pattern in the population and what the chances are that a random could unlock your phone. It's not something that gets discussed though.

My phone is unlocked when in range (BT connected) of my Pebble. Otherwise it needs a PIN.

It doesn't work with other people's fingers as far as I've seen, although I haven't tested it extensively.

But yeah it doesn't work when I have wet hands, which is the "almost" in my "almost flawlessly". Then I have to use a pin.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It doesn't work with other people's fingers as far as I've seen, although I haven't tested it extensively.

I'm just waiting for the first story in the media about this....

On 18/03/2016 at 09:47, Stevo985 said:

I'll try and answer without the side of sarcasm and condescension.

From my experience of swapping from iPhone (which was a few years ago), you won't be able to play the music from itunes on your new phone. but in Itunes you can convert everything to mp3 which you will be able to play. It will take a while if you have a lot of music, but it's simple enough. I think you simply select all, right click and "convert to mp3". You'll probably have to leave it overnight.

The suggestion of google music is a good one. Much easier in future. So once you have all your tracks upload them all to Google and you won't have to worry about it again.

I'm not sure about movies and videos, but the good thing about android is you can download countless video playing apps and I'd be very surprised if there isn't one out there that plays itunes videos. Have a google and see what you can find.

I know this is a an old one, but it's quite easy to put music from iTunes onto an Android phone. App called Doubletwist music player, download it ont oyour phone, install the desktop sofrware onto your pc and it'll sync your Android to iTunes. Takes a bit longer than you would with an iPhone bt it's a cracking bit of software I use.

What the flipping flip is the point of telling me to move stuff to the SD card, only to then tell me there's nothing that CAN be moved to the SD card? 

Screenshot_2016-05-14-17-32-42.png

Screenshot_2016-05-14-17-33-23.png

Since 11th may my android phone has been prompting me to upgrade my chrome browser. Not seen this before on my phone or Android tablet. Anyone else had this prompt and upgraded? 

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Since 11th may my android phone has been prompting me to upgrade my chrome browser. Not seen this before on my phone or Android tablet. Anyone else had this prompt and upgraded? 

Do you mean Google Play has been prompting you to upgrade? Can you screenshot the message? Sounds like something dodgy.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Do you mean Google Play has been prompting you to upgrade? Can you screenshot the message? Sounds like something dodgy.

I am so techno illiterate it's a joke. The thumbnail of the thing that I can't quite believe I have managed to get onto here looks cut off unfortunately so hopefully I is all here

Screenshot_2016-05-15-10-55-18.png

Â