Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

On 25/08/2016 at 19:35, limpid said:

Had it on my Nexus 9 for a few weeks now. Not a huge difference for me (yet?)

Same here when my Nexus 9 wasnt with HTC who twice have been unable to find a fault which causes it to crash.

The changes in N are very subtle and mainly under the hood, visually it will be tweaked in the next quarterly update they are promising.

On 9/3/2016 at 14:29, limpid said:

No, buy a Chinese phone you've never heard of for a quarter of the price.

Still loving the k6000? got used to the weight?

The battery of my GFs 1+1 has gone so looking into a Chinese phone, maybe the K6000.

The only place i can see with fairly decent reviews (PCAdvisor) only gives it 3.5/5. 

49 minutes ago, zak said:

Still loving the k6000? got used to the weight?

The battery of my GFs 1+1 has gone so looking into a Chinese phone, maybe the K6000.

The only place i can see with fairly decent reviews (PCAdvisor) only gives it 3.5/5. 

Apart from the weight, everything is fine and obviously the weight is offset by the immense battery life.

I've just read that review and they acknowledge throughout that this is a budget phone, and a good budget phone but then seem to grade it by comparing it to top end phones. Strange way to rank things. 3.5/5 where 5 is a flagship shows how good this budget phone is. 70% of the phone for 25% of the price.

Don't buy it if you're a mobile gamer.

Also, mine wasn't grey market, it was bought from Amazon.

48 minutes ago, limpid said:

Apart from the weight, everything is fine and obviously the weight is offset by the immense battery life.

I've just read that review and they acknowledge throughout that this is a budget phone, and a good budget phone but then seem to grade it by comparing it to top end phones. Strange way to rank things. 3.5/5 where 5 is a flagship shows how good this budget phone is. 70% of the phone for 25% of the price.

Don't buy it if you're a mobile gamer.

Also, mine wasn't grey market, it was bought from Amazon.

They give other budget phones (elephone, Xiaomi & Ulephone) 4 or 4.5 stars so was comparing with them.

With regards to buying from amazon, are you protected if you buy from a shop through amazon rather than amazon themselves?

Edit: Chinese Phone Reviews

Edited by zak

44 minutes ago, zak said:

With regards to buying from amazon, are you protected if you buy from a shop through amazon rather than amazon themselves?

It depends what you mean by "protected". If you are spending over £100, always use a credit card and you're protected by that. if you buy direct from Amazon then your contract is with Amazon no matter how much they might try and wriggle out of it. If it's sold in the EU then you are protected by the EU regs. I don't know about shops through Amazon, but it'll be on their website.

However these are budget phones. If they stop working chuck them in the recycling and buy another.

Aside from the Nexus range is there any other pure 'vanilla'' android handsets? I know some have their 'bloatware on there like samsung etc. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Aside from the Nexus range is there any other pure 'vanilla'' android handsets? I know some have their 'bloatware on there like samsung etc. 

All the cheap ones are pretty much stock Android.

• Like 1

Thinking of picking up the Moto G4 for the other half this Christmas. Has anyone used one? Looking for opinions on it.

Holding out on my own new phone until next year as my LG G4 is still nice and smooth. May go for the Galaxy S8 Edge when that comes out but I'll see what LG have to offer in the LG G6 first...

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - 10.1 question. 

Is there a wireless way i.e. app or update to fully screen mirror to a smart tv? 

Have no issues with my S6 as i just pull down on the screen and select smart view and it send the screen to the tv, however the Tab3 dose not have the smart view icon to select. Ive downloaded the smart view app but it will only mirror photos or videos to the tv and not the full screen mirroring option like my S6 dose. 

Any ideas? TIA

3 hours ago, Kingman said:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - 10.1 question. 

Is there a wireless way i.e. app or update to fully screen mirror to a smart tv? 

Have no issues with my S6 as i just pull down on the screen and select smart view and it send the screen to the tv, however the Tab3 dose not have the smart view icon to select. Ive downloaded the smart view app but it will only mirror photos or videos to the tv and not the full screen mirroring option like my S6 dose. 

Any ideas? TIA

From Samsungs site:

Older devices and those running operating systems older than Android 4.1.12 may not have the Screen Mirroring feature

Does that apply to your device?

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

From Samsungs site:

Does that apply to your device?

I'm not sure what operating system is currently running as it's my old man's tablet. Is there a way to update to ghe required operating system if required?

16 hours ago, Kingman said:

I'm not sure what operating system is currently running as it's my old man's tablet. Is there a way to update to ghe required operating system if required?

Almost certainly through installing custom roms. But that can be a bit fiddly. It depends a bit on how savy you feel in handling computers in general. It's a different ballgame for different devices. This tutorial looks like it's for your device but the video is assuming that you know a bit about flashing already. But it's a hint at least.

Â