Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

1 hour ago, limpid said:

@Genie It's cheap, but I think I'd pay a little extra for Android 6. Also, that's 16GB storage, not ROM.

Another spec list for the same

I agree, its not for me but just showing how smart phones prices are tumbling like crazy in China. I know more and more people switching over to these 'Chinese brand' phones (I appreicate nearly all phones are assembled out there).

First it was One+ and Huawei under cutting the big boys, now there is another breed under cutting them.

I remember back in 2000 my mate bought a Motorola flip phone for £300 :lol: (about £470 in today's money).

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree, its not for me but just showing how smart phones prices are tumbling like crazy in China. I know more and more people switching over to these 'Chinese brand' phones (I appreicate nearly all phones are assembled out there).

First it was One+ and Huawei under cutting the big boys, now there is another breed under cutting them.

I remember back in 2000 my mate bought a Motorola flip phone for £300 :lol: (about £470 in today's money).

Indeed. It's why my daily driver is the Oukitel. I can't see me paying the brand surplus any time soon.

My problem is that I get bored of phones very quickly, after 2 or 3 months I'm looking around again for a change. The main issue with buying these devices from China is that you're pretty much buying without warranty because even if you wanted to stump up the cash to send it back recorded delivery they'll probably never answer your emails.

For the price though its often still worth the risk.

Saying that, you got your from Amazon didn't you? Would be fantastic if they started to stock a large range of these phones then we'd get the best of both worlds.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

My problem is that I get bored of phones very quickly, after 2 or 3 months I'm looking around again for a change. The main issue with buying these devices from China is that you're pretty much buying without warranty because even if you wanted to stump up the cash to send it back recorded delivery they'll probably never answer your emails.

For the price though its often still worth the risk.

Saying that, you got your from Amazon didn't you? Would be fantastic if they started to stock a large range of these phones then we'd get the best of both worlds.

Yes, I bought my Oukitel from Amazon. My friend bought a couple of Landvo handsets from them. They do have a range and it's only going to get bigger :) 

I'm still not that convinced about upgrading, it's coming up to 3 year's old, but my Note 3 is still rock solid. This beauty was way ahead of its time.

I tentatively looked at the Note 7 though, thinking after 3 years, maybe a new toy is in order. The rumoured UK retail price is £749. lolwut?!

57 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm still not that convinced about upgrading, it's coming up to 3 year's old, but my Note 3 is still rock solid. This beauty was way ahead of its time.

I tentatively looked at the Note 7 though, thinking after 3 years, maybe a new toy is in order. The rumoured UK retail price is £749. lolwut?!

Buy the Oukitel I linked. It's been perfect for me so far and you can get 5 for that price.

If I was in the market for a well spec'd but cheap Chinese phone I'd get the Redmi 3 Pro Prime. Most of the usual Chinese sellers like Aliexpress / banggood selling it around the £120 mark.

Metal Body, Fingerprint ID

CPU -- Snapdragon 616 Octa Core
Screen -- 5.0-inch 1280x720p
RAM+ROM -- 3GB + 32GB (Support TF Card, FAT32 Format Only )
Camera -- 13MP Rear Camera, 5MP Front Camera
Battery -- 4100mAh (Typ)
Network -- Full Netcom, Dual SIM Dual Standby (Micro SIM Card x 1 + Na-no SIM Card x 1 or Micro SIM Card x 1 + TF Card x 1)
Xiaomi-Redmi-3-Pro.jpg

2 hours ago, Genie said:

If I was in the market for a well spec'd but cheap Chinese phone I'd get the Redmi 3 Pro Prime. Most of the usual Chinese sellers like Aliexpress / banggood selling it around the £120 mark.

Looks good as long as you can find a retailer in the UK.

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

Looks good as long as you can find a retailer in the UK.

That will be the hard part. Lots of sellers on eBay with UK stock around the £150 mark. They say there is warranty too but I'm not so sure what that amounts too...

9 hours ago, Tegis said:

140 quid for a Nexus 5x. Cheeeap Bought it on a whim, now I have to find a use for it

Do you travel much and does it support Google Project Fi?

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Do you travel much and does it support Google Project Fi?

No and yes and **** you google:

"Project Fi is available only for accounts in the US."

58 minutes ago, Tegis said:

No and yes and **** you google:

"Project Fi is available only for accounts in the US."

VPN and a billing address :), but not much use unless you travel.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

VPN and a billing address :), but not much use unless you travel.

Very true, I had a look at their coverage for the service and either they only have it in the US as of now or the maps are out of date. Still a cool service though

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/08/2016 at 20:03, mykeyb said:

For those with a Nexus hit the Android Developer page and sign up for the beta program and you will get the full android 7 experience served to your handset

Had it on my Nexus 9 for a few weeks now. Not a huge difference for me (yet?)

15 minutes ago, V01 said:

Looking for a cheap phone for the nipper for games to stop her trying to steal our phones. She plays something called slither.io a lot and watches a load of tat on youtube, are any of these suitable?  I know Limpid mentioned Oukitel earlier, would the THL or Doogee be of a similar quality?

I'd suggest picking the one you like most and buy it. Amazon give you some days to try it with a no-quibble return.

Remember to encrypt it as soon as you've logged in and make sure it's being shipped from the UK, preferably from a Prime listing.

Ordering it with Prime was the plan, I was a bit wary though as I saw you'd recommended Oukitel before but they aren't available through prime. I'm leaning towards the Doogee, but never having heard anything about them I'm a little reticent to bite the bullet and put the order in.

31 minutes ago, V01 said:

Ordering it with Prime was the plan, I was a bit wary though as I saw you'd recommended Oukitel before but they aren't available through prime. I'm leaning towards the Doogee, but never having heard anything about them I'm a little reticent to bite the bullet and put the order in.

Mine came via Prime. You've got to move quickly sometimes :)

I've not heard of them either.

Â