Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Tell me, will the Samsung be able to play the tracks and vids I've downloaded from iTunes or will they have to be converted first?

Do people really still download things? :)

What format did you download them in?

If you can download your purchased music from iTunes in MP3 then you can just copy them onto the phone. An S7 can just be accessed as an external drive on your computer without stuff like iTunes. Or you can copy to the SD card.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

If you can download your purchased music from iTunes in MP3 then you can just copy them onto the phone. An S7 can just be accessed as an external drive on your computer without stuff like iTunes. Or you can copy to the SD card.

Or you can upload it to Google Music and not have to piss around in future.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2016 at 13:18, Dante_Lockhart said:

This is over the years. Brought quite a few albums and such from iTunes so they'd all be in mp4 format.

I'll try and answer without the side of sarcasm and condescension.

From my experience of swapping from iPhone (which was a few years ago), you won't be able to play the music from itunes on your new phone. but in Itunes you can convert everything to mp3 which you will be able to play. It will take a while if you have a lot of music, but it's simple enough. I think you simply select all, right click and "convert to mp3". You'll probably have to leave it overnight.

The suggestion of google music is a good one. Much easier in future. So once you have all your tracks upload them all to Google and you won't have to worry about it again.

I'm not sure about movies and videos, but the good thing about android is you can download countless video playing apps and I'd be very surprised if there isn't one out there that plays itunes videos. Have a google and see what you can find.

Edited by Stevo985

On 17/03/2016 at 10:59, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm debating the switch from iPhone (which I've had since the original) to Samsung.

As stupid as it sounds, it's a hard decision. Quite daunting going to another phone. #firstworldproblems

I'll give my answer from someone who has only used IOS devices since 2008.

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. A week later I don't have it, it went back for an iPhone 6S Plus.

That's not to say the S7 isn't a good phone, it is, and there is a lot to like about, but I simply prefer IOS devices.

The screen on the S7 Edge was stunning and it was quick and well built and perhaps if I had more patience and wasn't such a creature of habit, I'd have kept it, but I swapped it and I'm delighted with my new iPhone. It works for me, I'm not a demanding user and I know what I like.

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

The screen on the S7 Edge was stunning and it was quick and well built and perhaps if I had more patience and wasn't such a creature of habit, I'd have kept it, but I swapped it and I'm delighted with my new iPhone. It works for me, I'm not a demanding user and I know what I like.

If you aren't a demanding user, why do you buy flagship phones?

6 minutes ago, limpid said:

If you aren't a demanding user, why do you buy flagship phones?

Because I can :)

I still like a nice phone, good screen, quick, etc. I could probably make do with an older model, but the bonus fairy was very kind this year, so why not

Edited by Xela

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Because I can :)

I still like a nice phone, good screen, quick, etc. I could probably make do with an older model, but the bonus fairy was very kind this year, so why not

You can get nice phones with good screens and quick which aren't flagships.

However, I'm curious why you chose a Samsung when they are not highly regarded (in this thread) due to the Samsung software. Why not try the (much better IMO) Sony, LG or HTC flagships?

On 17 March 2016 at 18:28, limpid said:

Or you can upload it to Google Music and not have to piss around in future.

Isn't that a pay service that streams the music from the clouds? tenner a month or whatever - like spotify premium and the Apple Music subscription thing? if it is then obviously spotify or apple music would also do that same job (for similar cost). I think there are apps as well to convert/transfer the music and then you don't need to dick about once it's done.

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

Isn't that a pay service that streams the music from the clouds? tenner a month or whatever - like spotify premium and the Apple Music subscription thing? if it is then obviously spotify or apple music would also do that same job (for similar cost). I think there are apps as well to convert/transfer the music and then you don't need to dick about once it's done.

This is off topic for Android, but Google Music allows you to stream your own music. There is a subscription model, but if you don't want to pay, then you can just use it for your own music. Amazon have the same.

11 hours ago, limpid said:

This is off topic for Android, but Google Music allows you to stream your own music. There is a subscription model, but if you don't want to pay, then you can just use it for your own music. Amazon have the same.

Thanks. So for moving to an android, it would be a solution as long as you had unlimited data and good coverage. I think I'd rather move the actual music files to my android if it were me asking the original question.

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

Thanks. So for moving to an android, it would be a solution as long as you had unlimited data and good coverage. I think I'd rather move the actual music files to my android if it were me asking the original question.

You upload your music to Google Music.

Then you can either stream them, or download them to any device you have. So you can download some or all of your music if you don't have coverage or don't want to use your data.

It's all free. The only thing you have to pay for is to stream/download music that you don't own.

The only thing that bothers me about Google Music is that when you "download" the music, as far as I can tell it doesn't come as regular music files. I can't find any of my downloaded music anywhere on my device (as in the files. Obviously I can find the music in the Google Music app). So I'm wondering if/when I eventually move away from Google Music, will it be easy/possible to take my music with me?

Edited by Stevo985

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I have a "thumbs up" list which I've set to automatically download on several devices so that I've always got some tracks on my phone. You can do this for any playlist, or any number of playlists.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The only thing that bothers me about Google Music is that when you "download" the music, as far as I can tell it doesn't come as regular music files. I can't find any of my downloaded music anywhere on my device (as in the files. Obviously I can find the music in the Google Music app). So I'm wondering if/when I eventually move away from Google Music, will it be easy/possible to take my music with me?

You can download tacks you've bought using a browser on a computer. I don't think you can do it on the Android/IOS apps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

debating whether to get t he samsung s6 or sony x5 premium. i have sony now and i do love this phone. not sure which ones better

Any reason why the s6 rather than the s7? Also why the x5 rather than waiting for the next z? Which Sony do you already have?

Â