Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

• 1 month later...

My HTC One M8 has completely gone. After not being able to update and numerous apps giving error messages, I decided to do a factory reset. Upon completion the errors 'HTC Backup, HTC Blinkfeed and System UI have stopped' keep coming up and I can't use the phone.  I've tried wiping the cache partition, doing another factory reset and booting into safe mode. Same issues. Might use it as a paperweight.

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

My HTC One M8 has completely gone. After not being able to update and numerous apps giving error messages, I decided to do a factory reset. Upon completion the errors 'HTC Backup, HTC Blinkfeed and System UI have stopped' keep coming up and I can't use the phone.  I've tried wiping the cache partition, doing another factory reset and booting into safe mode. Same issues. Might use it as a paperweight.

Where / when did you buy it? Is there any visible damage?

18 minutes ago, omariqy said:

from Carphone warehouse about 18 months ago. No visible damage. Looks in good condition.

If it's insured, make a claim. Otherwise straight back to CPW. I'm sure you've had it in a case all this time and not dropped it, so it's faulty. They'll probably want to send it for repair. Unless they find evidence of accidental damage this will be free. If it's beyond repair they will probably replace it.

If they are awkward, take it up with the credit card company you bought it with. As long as you used a credit card and put at least £100 of the purchase on it, then they are jointly liable.

If the repair means it'll be away for long, buy a new phone. The Z5 if you want to replace the HTC or a Moto G if you want a backup, then sell one of them when the M8 comes back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

If it's insured, make a claim. Otherwise straight back to CPW. I'm sure you've had it in a case all this time and not dropped it, so it's faulty. They'll probably want to send it for repair. Unless they find evidence of accidental damage this will be free. If it's beyond repair they will probably replace it.

If they are awkward, take it up with the credit card company you bought it with. As long as you used a credit card and put at least £100 of the purchase on it, then they are jointly liable.

If the repair means it'll be away for long, buy a new phone. The Z5 if you want to replace the HTC or a Moto G if you want a backup, then sell one of them when the M8 comes back.

Thanks. That pretty much covers any question I might have had too!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Genie said:

Anybody have any experience of the Oneplus X? Looks like an interesting handset, I don't want to go bigger than 5" (said no woman ever). 

A guy in my office just moved to this from iPhone. He likes it a lot. Dual-SIM is a bit of a winner. He's not had it long enough to form other opinions yet.

Does anyone get annoyed at how sensitive Google Now is in terms of picking news stories for you?

Every time I go there to look at stories I spend my time clicking on stories and telling google I'm not interested in that subject.

It seems like if you ever read an article remotely related to something, that thing then becomes something you're interested in.

To me that feature should be for stuff that you regularly show an interest in, not anything you've ever clicked on. 

The amount of times I've had to clear stories for random football teams because I read one match report involving them is annoying.

Alternatively, is there a way to turn the sensitivity down?

Agreed. I get score updates and articles to do with every single team Villa play, it's absurd.I've not found a way to deal with it other than telling Google I'm not interested in stories to do with EVERY TEAM WE **** PLAY. It doesn't seem like an unusual use case, does it?

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As far as I can tell, if I go on a webpage about ANYTHING, it then starts giving me news stories about it, even if it's once.

I once searched for Asamoah Gyan's goalscoring record. After which Google Now thought I'd be interested in everything to do with him including stories of affairs and all sorts :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Personally, I think the balance is about right. It's easy to indicate that you aren't interested.

Not for me.

If I'm bored on the way to work I'll swipe left and look at some news stories I "might be interested in".

Most of the time the majority of them will be stories about stuff I'm not interested in. Yes it's easy to indicate you're not interested, but I have to do that on so many stories it leaves me with one or two to actually read.

That happens pretty much everytime.

It kind of defies the point if 90% of what it brings up is stuff I'm not bothered about, but happened to go on a webpage related to it at some point.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Not for me.

If I'm bored on the way to work I'll swipe left and look at some news stories I "might be interested in".

Most of the time the majority of them will be stories about stuff I'm not interested in. Yes it's easy to indicate you're not interested, but I have to do that on so many stories it leaves me with one or two to actually read.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but in that case find just something else to do when you're bored.

It tends to give me a sensible set of articles to read. Perhaps it's because I'm invested in G+ and therefore it's more likely that they know me better?

Just now, limpid said:

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but in that case find just something else to do when you're bored.

Bit of a strange comment.

I do find something else to do, I don't just sit there staring at a blank screen or reading stuff I don't want to :D

But I'm commenting about this particular feature.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I do find something else to do, I don't just sit there staring at a blank screen or reading stuff I don't want to :D

But I'm commenting about this particular feature.

I'm just surprised you keep trying if it doesn't work for you :) Or you could follow some stuff on G+ and see if that helps.

Â