Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Yeah I quite like his YouTube channel and I agree, clearly an Android guy...

With the M9 there was a leaked photo of it doing the rounds yesterday, and the word on the street was that it would get unveiled this month at an event in Las Vegas, probably for a March release!

I would have actually gone Xperia as all around they are better, but the one major thing that puts me off the Sony range is the quiet output through your headphones, as I tend to use the mp3 player when I'm at the gym, and only the HTC One phones have given me what I want in that respect.

Are you sure that "SIM free" and "Vodafone" go together in that sentence? I suspect it's been branded but they've not but this information on their (terrible) web site yet.

Appears it is unlocked on a payg deal. Bargain indeed.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/12/31/vodafone-u-k-selling-the-htc-one-m8-for-just-289-right-now/

Its locked and branded to Vodafone.

The last two HTC flagship handsets have been released in March, I'd expect the next one (the M9) to do the same.

I jumped from Android to iOS this week because nothing leapt out at me on Android at the moment. I seriously considered the Sony Z3 and the new Moto X though. Go have a look at those two and/or check reviews.

http://m.youtube.com/user/marquesbrownlee

Marquee Brownlee makes some good content when it comes to reviews. He's definitely an Android guy, I totally respect his opinion.

Possibly one for the general mobile thread, but how are you coping with the change?

Are you sure that "SIM free" and "Vodafone" go together in that sentence? I suspect it's been branded but they've not but this information on their (terrible) web site yet.

Appears it is unlocked on a payg deal. Bargain indeed.http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/12/31/vodafone-u-k-selling-the-htc-one-m8-for-just-289-right-now/

Its locked and branded to Vodafone.

Yeah I've just been reading this morning on android central. TB got it wrong. Still, if you can get it unlocked its still a good deal.

Appears it is unlocked on a payg deal. Bargain indeed.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/12/31/vodafone-u-k-selling-the-htc-one-m8-for-just-289-right-now/

From that link, second paragraph:

The device will likely be locked to Vodafone

I realise now that I read "SIM free" as "unlocked". I don't think that's a good price unless you can get it unlocked for less than the difference.

I've edited my posts to show that it could cost up to £310 with an unlock code.

**** it. Buy it at a good price, get a code to unlock it and bobs your uncle. If you're already on Vodafone then great. Buy it or not, I couldnt give a ****.

I got confused with the info but even so its a good deal. God you guys make it difficult just to help people save a bit of money. **** me.

Edited by Ingram85

It's done that for me for several years now. It's one of those settings which people often say no to during the initial config and then never go back to. I'm pretty sure my N4 did this the first time I booted it. It even picks up Wi-Fi keys.

Assuming you trust Google, let them back up everything. And turn on two factor authentication on your Google account. I can't stress this strongly enough; passwords on their own are not adequate security for anything you care about.

I backed up everything with then before but when I got my N5 I still had to go and manually download all my apps again.

Whereas this time it just restored everything back as if nothing had changed.

Maybe it was a setting I hadn't selected before, but when I went from S3 to N5 it definitely didn't seem this easy

The last two HTC flagship handsets have been released in March, I'd expect the next one (the M9) to do the same.

I jumped from Android to iOS this week because nothing leapt out at me on Android at the moment. I seriously considered the Sony Z3 and the new Moto X though. Go have a look at those two and/or check reviews.

Marquee Brownlee makes some good content when it comes to reviews. He's definitely an Android guy, I totally respect his opinion.

Possibly one for the general mobile thread, but how are you coping with the change?

Battery life is insane. App Store is miles ahead. Camera is incredible. Still prefer Android as a core OS.

Settings -> Backup & Reset -> Automatic Restore

I can't say I noticed it appear, but I think it's been there quite a while. As I said it doesn't prompt you again after a factory reset. You might have said "no" when you got the S3 and never realised it was there.

Do set up two factor authentication on your Google account though.

I am entitled to a new phone Monday as my 3 contract has finished. I'm currently paying 28 a month for a Samsung galaxy 2 mini which I've been happy with except the last 2 months where I charge the battery to 100% but if it gets to 80% it switches off.

Any decent androids out there I could get as a replacement/upgrade?

If you want a cheap contract, the Nexus 5 is available for only £20 a month.
  • Like 1

Battery life is insane. App Store is miles ahead. Camera is incredible. Still prefer Android as a core OS.

Been saying ever since I moved from iPhone to android that the app store was miles ahead.

Still definitely prefer Android, but that's one thing they're behind in.

I thought loads of people had said that the app store was miles behind, perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick. Certainly whenever I've looked at it in limited quantities I've found it a bit sparse and difficult to navigate.

Treated myself to a hudl2 (and since I did it online I got to redeem all the club card vouchers I've lost over the years) this week. So far I've been impressed with it - but I'll see how it goes once I get my bike mount and start some turbo trainer sessions) (which will then give me a reason to get a Bluetooth enabled trainer :twisted: )

Edited by CardiffGreens

We bought my son a HP 8 inch tablet from PC World over xmas and it went back yesterday unopened as I couldnt find a case or screen protector for it. The spec wasnt brilliant either.

I am now thinking I will get him a Hudl2 so go do with any feedback good or bad on how Hudl2 owners feel about the tablet. Cheers.

It's done that for me for several years now. It's one of those settings which people often say no to during the initial config and then never go back to. I'm pretty sure my N4 did this the first time I booted it. It even picks up Wi-Fi keys.

Assuming you trust Google, let them back up everything. And turn on two factor authentication on your Google account. I can't stress this strongly enough; passwords on their own are not adequate security for anything you care about.

Agree on 2 stage authentication.

So my brother in Law has cracked his Samsung G4 mini and asked what phone he should get but doesnt like larger phones. Other thing to note is he uses his phone to trade constantly and needs strong internet and a pretty good battery life. Although is happy enough with his G4 Mini.

are the best suggestion the moto G 2012 4g and the HTC m8 if he doesnt mind going slightly larger (hes on vodafone)?

Â