The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

On 01/03/2022 at 08:25, Ingram85 said:

Turns out my favourite wrestler of all time is a massive dickhead. Glenn Jacobs/Kane with a ridiculous take on Ukraine/Russia. What a clearing. 

This really hurt me too, I pretty much only got into wrestling cause I was a weird kid and Kane was my jam. I’d tried to avoid learning too much about his politics cause I had a feeling this would be the end result. He was also my go to ‘I share a birthday with’ celebrity, all the way with Jet Li I guess 😅

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eidolon said:

This really hurt me too, I pretty much only got into wrestling cause I was a weird kid and Kane was my jam. I’d tried to avoid learning too much about his politics cause I had a feeling this would be the end result. He was also my go to ‘I share a birthday with’ celebrity, all the way with Jet Li I guess 😅

Blimey, a near coincidence as I always thought it was cool his birthday was the day before mine lol.

I wouldn’t have even looked too closely at his political stance if it wasn’t for his idiotic comments on Russia, normally I can let things go (Jericho came close to being struck off my list as well) but Glenn is a vehement libertarian/Rep and borderline conspiracy/anti vaxxer. I don’t dislike him now because he is a Rep, I dislike him now because he is a massive clearing and sadly it’s tarnished his career for me a bit.

Taker is the same, the day I found out he is a closet homophobic racist republican god botherer I just felt meh about him. Then I learnt about his treatment of people backstage and in the ring (check out his chair shot on Kanyon). Bloke is a huge rocket polisher. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eidolon said:

When he appeared at Hell in a Cell, ripping the door off the cell and tombstoning the Undertaker allowing HBK to win is the most dramatic memory I have of the old WWF. 

The run up to Wrestlemania was also great. When he twatted Vader with a wrench

nothing weird about you kid, We were all kids enjoying the same and going through the same emotions, Some of us older kids admitted😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Aew revolution sunday.  Another very strong card.

Why do aew only do four ppvs a year?  They could easily fit another two esp with their stacked roster 

Probably to make them feel a bigger deal, they’ve knocked it out the park with each ppv tbf, and there’s the mini ppv on dynamite like , winter is coming, bash at the beach ect.

• Like 1

AEW revolution 

Spoiler

Two new signings swerve and a surprising one in william regal. Didnt see that one happening. I think the moxley bryan partnerhip with regal as manager is a very interesting combo. Think that could be very successful for aew

The card was good to be honest.

The cm punk mjf match was great and stings still got it. Finally wardlow going to go alone as he wasted as MJFs no 2

Bit of a lame ending to the ppv to be honest was expecting omega to maybe come out but was a predictable main event.

• Like 1

AEW Revolution

Spoiler

CM Punk coming out to Miseria Cantare was a proper spin tingling moment, although I was kind of disappointed he wasn't sporting bleach blonde hair

Great event, though

• Like 1

Just finished.

The Good:

• Miseria Cantare, I expected after MJF's musical tease.  That we'd also get full-on shorts-era Punk, didn't even occur to me.  Match maybe shades match of the night for me, but dang there were a fair few contenders.
  • Sammy and Isiah are nucking futs.  Grandpa Sting needs to stop hanging out with Darby or he's gonna kill himself, too.
  • They somehow had me believing for a second, just a split-second that reDRagon were walking out with the tag titles and that Cole was maybe winning the battle of the Adams.
  • Eddie going over Jericho, didn't think we'd be getting that, thought it was going to be drawn out a bit longer with the match ending either in shenanigans or a Judas Effect/Uraken double KO.
  • YEAH BABY, WILLIAM REGAL!  ZSJ next through the Forbidden Door please to join up with this nascent faction of pure televised murder.
  • OC's comedy spots in the ladder match were great, I was kinda hoping they'd have him actually win the whole thing via said madness.  Hobbs looked terrific.
  • Pre-show was pretty great, and House Of Black / Death Triangle put on a banger that more than made up for their middling previous showing.  Which is great as I dig everyone involved and want 'em all to do well.

The Bad:

• So ready for Baker to lose that belt, if not to Thunder Rosa then who the hell else?  Guessing this feud will be teased out a bit longer and maybe Rosa takes it down the road if she beats Leyla Hirsh to re-secure her #1 contendership.  Which in itself seems a shame if they're gearing to build Hirsh into a legitimate (no pun intended) threat, having her go over Statlander to then just lose to Rosa in her next big match seems like one stop forward, then immediately back again.
  • Conti / Cargill looked a bit sloppy in places, which was a real shame as I'm a big fan of Conti from her NXT days.  Erm, her wrestling, that is.  Okay, and also GAWD DAYUM BESTILL MY BEATING LOINS, but still.
  • JR seemed a bit less compos mentis than usual, hope he's doing alright. 
  • I have no idea who Swerve is.  That's a "bad" on me and my general ignorance, not the show mind.  Should I be excited?
  • HOW MUCH LONGER UNTIL JEFF HARDY AND WHEN IS JAY WHITE COMING BACK TONY GODDAMNIT.
Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 2

Oh and one more standout very bad; if they think I'm buying that any of that Coffin Drop connected (which looked to be all on Hardy for being a. way out of position and b. picking a reeeallll bad time to wriggle about and sell some discomfort), then I've a bridge to sell AEW.  Will deffo be seeing that one on the next Botchamania.

YARN | Back and to the left. | Seinfeld (1989) - S03E17 The Boyfriend (1) |  Video clips by quotes | c18dffb7 | 紗

Re two of the points above, spoilers for two of the surprise appearances at Revolution 

Spoiler

ZSJ in a faction with Moxley, Bryan, and Regal would be good, but only if they were a heel faction, which is really unlikely. A reddit thread yesterday reminded me of one of my favourite ZSJ promos in New Japan; showing technical wrestling to Americans is like reading Shakespeare to a dog :lol:

And on Swerve / Shane Strickland, he's good - really good. He started out as your typical ish high flyer, but has evolved in to a very versatile wrestler. I was fortunate enough to watch the vast majority of his CZW run from 12-17, where he wrestled most styles you can think of, and culminated in a run with their top belt. 

What's really interesting about him is his run in Lucha Underground in a mask as Killshot, specifically his fued with Dante Fox (aka AR Fox - another CZW alumni, and a very similar wrestler to Strickland), which culminated in probably the best deathmatch to ever be on North American TV. I'll link below - a little might be lost without the proper context of the storyline, but essentially, they were friends, and now, well, they're not. 

This is now the only full version of the match on YouTube it seems, and the guys who run the channel provide their own comms, which does provide some extra details it seems. 

Anyway, it'll give you an idea of what Swerve can do. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like SCSA is back for Mania.

I get the impression from the promo that this will be some kind of brawl. More than a segment, less than a match.

Oh Hell Yeah! I don't care if he's 57 and not been active for the best part of 2 decades... What?

Edited by Jonesy7211

On 08/03/2022 at 19:33, Jonesy7211 said:

Looks like SCSA is back for Mania.

I get the impression from the promo that this will be some kind of brawl. More than a segment, less than a match.

Oh Hell Yeah! I don't care if he's 57 and not been active for the best part of 2 decades... What?

I'm torn on this one. Loved him back in the day but he's been gone a long time, some of the other matches with people his age haven't been great (Goldberg vs Taker), it's another example of WWE using existing talent and not developing new and I don't want it to ruin how I remember him. 

What has surprised me most though was realising he was only 38 or so when he retired. I thought he was older than that (his look doesn't help). 

• Like 1

Just now, Rds1983 said:

I'm torn on this one. Loved him back in the day but he's been gone a long time, some of the other matches with people his age haven't been great (Goldberg vs Taker), it's another example of WWE using existing talent and not developing new and I don't want it to ruin how I remember him. 

What has surprised me most though was realising he was only 38 or so when he retired. I thought he was older than that (his look doesn't help). 

Looking like it's not going to be an actual match so I'm cool with it.  Austin is my all time favourite but now it's got this far I do want him to actually honour his retirement.

40 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Looking like it's not going to be an actual match so I'm cool with it.  Austin is my all time favourite but now it's got this far I do want him to actually honour his retirement.

It's a shame it didn't happen 10 years ago as I'd have less hesitation then. 

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

His demeanor always made come across as much older than he was. Other than right at the end of his in ring career, he was always very serious I thought.

I'm looking forward to seeing him. Just a shame he's going to go over. I never like the legends returning to make the full time guys look bad, even if it is for nostalgia. That being said, Stone Cold had to learn a different way of wrestling after he broke his neck. I don't think a brawl would be too much of a stretch for him. Anything more and it'll be a shame. On the plus side he's always kept himself in shape. I just don't think it'll be as bad as HBK and HHH vs Taker and Kane in Australia. That was awful.

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

But matching with 2.0 is abit meh

HEY. You wanna TASTE?

2.0 and their 80s-coke-fueled-energy cracks me up and I am all for more of it.  Exhibit A:

2point0 Matt Lee GIF - 2Point0 Matt Lee Jeff Parker - Discover & Share GIFs

Had a feeling that Scorpio Sky would be taking that title.  Don't think they'll be quick to take it off him either, so I assume that'll mean Wardlow will be losing via MJF-related shenanigans for his title shot, which in a way would be a nice little full-circle for Sky as he was the first winner of the Sonic Ring™ (that's all I see when I look at the damn thing) but nothing came of it for him.

Hope they find something for Death Triangle to get their teeth into soon.

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

HEY. You wanna TASTE?

2.0 and their 80s-coke-fueled-energy cracks me up and I am all for more of it.  Exhibit A:

2point0 Matt Lee GIF - 2Point0 Matt Lee Jeff Parker - Discover & Share GIFs

Had a feeling that Scorpio Sky would be taking that title.  Don't think they'll be quick to take it off him either, so I assume that'll mean Wardlow will be losing via MJF-related shenanigans for his title shot, which in a way would be a nice little full-circle for Sky as he was the first winner of the Sonic Ring™ (that's all I see when I look at the damn thing) but nothing came of it for him.

Hope they find something for Death Triangle to get their teeth into soon.

Death triangle vs adam cole and red dragon would be  agood feud

Â