The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

10 minutes ago, Crumpet said:

Toni Storm debuts on AEW. Good signing, hopefully use her correctly.

AEW's problem seems to be maintaining pushes once the debut hype is gone

might wanna put a spoiler link in that just for future reference mate 🙂

Just caught up with the New Japan Cup in NJPW. 

Spoiler

I really hope this is the time for Zack. He's started dropping a lot of Japanese in to his post-match promos, in a kind of similar way that Kenny did at a time he was getting pushed towards the title, even though he was, and Zack is now, a 'heel gaijin'.

Hilariously, his post match conference made reference to being knocked silly by a move called Valencia by Naito, after which he purports that George Michael began to give him advice on the match, which led to his victory. 

In an alternate dimension somewhere, his title match (and hopefully his victory) will have been booked for an event in the UK...as it is, he'll face off against Okada next Saturday at Hyper Battle.

Wm review

Spoiler

First match unfortunate injury to boogs as im sure the plan was for them to win the titles hence why they had this 1st up.

Mcintyre vs corbin. Lame and predictable.  Hopefully drew moves up now im sure he will be challenging riegns next once he beats lesnar today in a predictable main event

Logan paul impressed did very well. Was a wierd ending with miz turning on him.

Becky vs belair was a very good match. This was the hardest match of all to call but right to have belair win it. I think eventually we might see lynch move to sd and challenge rousey when she beats charlotte.i then expect charlotte to move to raw to start a feud with belair.

As expected Rhodes was rollins mystery opponent.  Brilliant match best of the night for me. Fans were hot for it

Charlotte vs rousey. Meh probably least enjoyable match. Fans were dead for it as well. 

Main event was actually suprised it was a match! Austin did very well considering age and how long he been out the ring.

Overall i give it a solid 7. Im looking at night 2 and thinking barring edge vs aj i dont see how night 2 is going to be any better than night 1. The card looks underwelming. Most matches are so predictable 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, heffoman said:

It was an average wrestlemania bar Stone Cold. Great to see him back.

One or two good matches but most of the others were filler.

Didnt you think the seth match was good?

I think night 2 will be alot shitter than night 1

I hope they stop this nonsense next year and just do it one night again next year

Thoughts on Wrestlemania Night 1.

Spoiler

Very few highlights really.

First major takeaway as someone that hasn't watched much WWE post-pandemic is WWE's larger than life production is obnoxious. I can't believe they found more places to put LED boards. The barricade? Really?

The other major takeaway regarding production was Wrestlemania has gotten bloated. Night 1 was 4 hours and 4 minutes. Not every wrestler needed a special entrance. It feels like Wrestlemania is now the night where precise planning goes to die.

As for the matches themselves;

The opening tag match was average and the injury was unfortunate as Rick Boogs is a fun guy. 

Have no interest in Happy Corbin (stupid name) so didn't care in the least about the match with Drew McIntyre. 

Logan Paul put 90% of the NXT 2.0 roster to shame. He trained for a few weeks and is already a better wrestler than the majority of NXT 2.0's roster. The Miz turning on him likely because he has a bigger social media following would be totally on brand for The Miz. 

Becky Lynch vs Bianca Belair was decent enough. I think they made it way too obvious that Belair was going to win given the whole storyline seemed to be Belair getting revenge for losing in 16 seconds. 

Cody Rhodes vs Seth Rollins was the match of the night. It's the only reason I watched Wrestlemania to see how WWE would handle Cody Rhodes and it was a good re-debut. I likely won't follow his journey in WWE beyond this, but they didn't fumble it which is good. 

Charlotte Flair is boring. She's a charisma vacuum that has brought down the quality of the product for many years now. Her match with Rousey was no different.   

Steve Austin vs Kevin Owens was fun. It was definitely better than I was expecting given Stone Cold is held together by leg braces and duct tape. That said it was cool to see Steve Austin one last time, but again pacing was an issue. I didn't need 10 minutes of KO Show and I didn't need 8+ minutes after the match of Stone Cold doing his schtick. I get it you smash cans together and people cheer, that didn't need to go on for as long as it did. As I said earlier Wrestlemania used to be this tightly planned event, but now it's so much wasted time. 98 minutes of wrestling on a 244 minute show. 

Not sure I'll be watching Night 2. I think the card for Night 2 is way weaker than Night 1 outside of maybe Edge vs AJ Styles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Hide contents

First major takeaway as someone that hasn't watched much WWE post-pandemic is WWE's larger than life production is obnoxious. I can't believe they found more places to put LED boards. The barricade? Really?

The other major takeaway regarding production was Wrestlemania has gotten bloated. Night 1 was 4 hours and 4 minutes. Not every wrestler needed a special entrance. It feels like Wrestlemania is now the night where precise planning goes to die.

The opening tag match was average and the injury was unfortunate as Rick Boogs is a fun guy. 

Have no interest in Happy Corbin (stupid name) so didn't care in the least about the match with Drew McIntyre. 

Logan Paul put 90% of the NXT 2.0 roster to shame. He trained for a few weeks and is already a better wrestler than the majority of NXT 2.0's roster. The Miz turning on him likely because he has a bigger social media following would be totally on brand for The Miz. 

Becky Lynch vs Bianca Belair was decent enough. I think they made it way too obvious that Belair was going to win given the whole storyline seemed to be Belair getting revenge for losing in 16 seconds. 

Cody Rhodes vs Seth Rollins was the match of the night. It's the only reason I watched Wrestlemania to see how WWE would handle Cody Rhodes and it was a good re-debut. I likely won't follow his journey in WWE beyond this, but they didn't fumble it which is good. 

Charlotte Flair is boring. She's a charisma vacuum that has brought down the quality of the product for many years now. Her match with Rousey was no different.   

Steve Austin vs Kevin Owens was fun. It was definitely better than I was expecting given Stone Cold is held together by leg braces and duct tape. That said it was cool to see Steve Austin one last time, but again pacing was an issue. I didn't need 10 minutes of KO Show and I didn't need 8+ minutes after the match of Stone Cold doing his schtick. I get it you smash cans together and people cheer, that didn't need to go on for as long as it did. As I said earlier Wrestlemania used to be this tightly planned event, but now it's so much wasted time. 98 minutes of wrestling on a 244 minute show. 

Not sure I'll be watching Night 2. I think the card for Night 2 is way weaker than Night 1 outside of maybe Edge vs AJ Styles. 

Good analysis and i agree with most of it. So 4 hours yesterday about 3-4 today. Its too much and too draining. I do think alot of people wont bither with night 2 as its far too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Hide contents

Spot on. Just watched it.

Will watch WM night two love as I am honestly becoming a Reigns fan, really big fan.

I used to find him boring and said a heel run would change it, and boy I was right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Good analysis and i agree with most of it. So 4 hours yesterday about 3-4 today. Its too much and too draining. I do think alot of people wont bither with night 2 as its far too much.

If you’re watching live tonight, feel free to text your thoughts!

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Didnt you think the seth match was good?

I think night 2 will be alot shitter than night 1

I hope they stop this nonsense next year and just do it one night again next year

I thought it was a good match without being great. I think the lack of any build up or story hurt it. That and it ended up a bit of a spot fest.

I thought Becky and Bellair was the strongest match.

As some one else there surprised how good Logan Paul was. He looked far better at times than Dominic and more believable.

1 hour ago, heffoman said:

I thought it was a good match without being great. I think the lack of any build up or story hurt it. That and it ended up a bit of a spot fest.

I thought Becky and Bellair was the strongest match.

As some one else there surprised how good Logan Paul was. He looked far better at times than Dominic and more believable.

Logan paul was massively impressive. I think he got a lot of respect from the fans after that. Maybe they will do a paul vs miz for summerslam?

• Like 1

Â