The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

I love AEW, most I've loved wrestling since the attitude era, but don't really know the history of the likes of Omega and the Bucks.

What I really like is that AEW treat their fans like they're smart wrestling fans, they don't dumb it down for people like me. They respect the hard-core fans who know and appreciate this stuff. 

On 16/11/2021 at 13:58, DCJonah said:

I love AEW, most I've loved wrestling since the attitude era, but don't really know the history of the likes of Omega and the Bucks.

What I really like is that AEW treat their fans like they're smart wrestling fans, they don't dumb it down for people like me. They respect the hard-core fans who know and appreciate this stuff. 

@DCJonah if you have the time the follwoing link gives a full history of the bullet club which covers a some of their history 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

God that Punk/MJF skit was excellent. I know I know they can’t stop mentioning wwe but for me it just adds to it. It’s a part of punk’s past so of course it’s gonna come up. I think MJF is the best promo in wrestling. His facial expressions are second to none. He talks, he lets others talk. He is exceptional. I simply can’t wait for their match. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Hardy let go. Hope he is ok. His family have said the rumours about being offered and declining rehab are false but it’s hard not to jump to ‘that’ conclusion. Fingers crossed he gets back on his feet once his 90 days are up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rey Fenix's arm break from the table spot on his week's Dynamite is brutal. And they replayed it 4 or 5 times. So, not a spoiler for the result, but if you're squeamish about such things...you might want to look away.

I'll be posting some thoughts about the three Wrestle Kingdom events soon, as I hope to keep up to date with NJPW this year. No New Years Dash this year though! Boo. They're doing a very long New Years tour in the run up to this years NJC.

I'm not sure I'll bother with the third WK event against NOAH, so based on the two nights so far, it's safe to say the second night was the better of the two.

In particular, KENTA v Tanahashi for the US title in a no DQ match was really, really good. It's probably the best 'hardcore' (rather then deathmatch) match I've ever seen between two Japanese natives. KENTA came out of it with a broken nose, dislocated hip (or broken ass, as he has said), and a torn tendon in his hand. 

On night one Shibata also put on a decent showing against his protege Ren Narita, with a last minute rule to allow full contact (it was no strikes prior to that, given Shibata's injury). It'll be really interesting where he goes next, although due to the above, the natural escalation to a singles match with KENTA won't happen now, but they may just save that for next year's WK. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say, I think MJF is my favourite wrestler since the early 00’s. Dude is just amazing. Puts himself over while getting Wardlow over at the same time, puts his opponents over and his promo work/acting is exceptional. I love Punk but he only ever really sells himself. Seriously, I can’t think of anyone else who just gets it. There’s loads who are close but imo MJF is one step ahead. He is potentially one of the best ever to do this wrestling malarkey if he stays on course. 

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Have to say, I think MJF is my favourite wrestler since the early 00’s. Dude is just amazing. Puts himself over while getting Wardlow over at the same time, puts his opponents over and his promo work/acting is exceptional. I love Punk but he only ever really sells himself. Seriously, I can’t think of anyone else who just gets it. There’s loads who are close but imo MJF is one step ahead. He is potentially one of the best ever to do this wrestling malarkey if he stays on course. 

Its incredible to thjnk MJF was a wimpy guy that goldberg pushed to the side in wwe and didnt give him a chance like aew did.

Its like when EC3 came. He was incredible in TNA and they absolutely ruined him in wwe. 

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

What's even more impressive is that from the first time I became aware of him - early 2017 in CZW - he was more or less exactly as he is now. That really polished cocky attitude was just there, straight away. His character has barely changed since, because it's just been so good since his debut.

The only slight issue at the moment for him in AEW I find, is that the angle between him and Wardlow is more interesting that him an Punk, not sure how exactly they'll juggle them.

On 18/01/2022 at 21:07, Demitri_C said:

I think punk will put MJF over.

I think MJF will  be the guy that dethrones adam page. 

I feel its perfectly set up for Wardlow turning, costs MJF the victory, and starts their programme. 

PUNK can move onto someone (upper mid card) then be in a position to challenge Page and beat him in 3-4 months time. 

MJF beats wardlow (Extended programme) and then challenges Punk on the basis he Still hasn't been beaten clean.

MJF v Punk 2 for the title near the end of the year

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Anyone who boos cody because they genuinely dislike him, is an idiot. 

The tv show rhodes to the top is what has made people turn againy cody. As he has a massive input on the booking. It does get annoying seeing him go over people like sami and malaki black. I think thats whats turned fans on him.

49 minutes ago, Crumpet said:

I feel its perfectly set up for Wardlow turning, costs MJF the victory, and starts their programme. 

PUNK can move onto someone (upper mid card) then be in a position to challenge Page and beat him in 3-4 months time. 

MJF beats wardlow (Extended programme) and then challenges Punk on the basis he Still hasn't been beaten clean.

MJF v Punk 2 for the title near the end of the year

That would be a great "rhode" to go through. 

I suspect it will be either MJF or Adam cole who beats page setting up a feud with punk later on.

Personally i would have moxley beat page.  He will make a great heel in aew.

A mox vs punk feud for the title would be epic

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The tv show rhodes to the top is what has made people turn againy cody. As he has a massive input on the booking. It does get annoying seeing him go over people like sami and malaki black. I think thats whats turned fans on him.

That would be a great "rhode" to go through. 

I suspect it will be either MJF or Adam cole who beats page setting up a feud with punk later on.

Personally i would have moxley beat page.  He will make a great heel in aew.

A mox vs punk feud for the title would be epic

With the american audience I cant see Mox being Heel anytime soon. American's love a redemption story, and the battling your demons promo was so Face. I hope that there may be a few more "battle your demons" comments then maybe a 'Demon' arrives to AEW - Wyatt or Balor would be perfect.

AEW roster is looking so strong now - I wonder at what point some talent starts to get frustrated...soon you'll be having to fit in Page, Moxley, Danielson, Cole, Omega, Punk, MJF, Andrade(?) Miro into top spots, That's before you get to Darby Allen, Jungle boy, Rhodes, Malakai Black Jericho, Orange Cassidy. How they handle that will massive for AEW in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

If Balor ever went to AEW, it'd be as Prince Devitt. Sure, that's where the cosplay started, but I wouldn't really like to see him using the demon like in WWE. I'd really like him to go back to NJPW, if Jay ever gets back to Japan, that fued for control of BC would be the stuff of dreams. 

29 minutes ago, Crumpet said:

With the american audience I cant see Mox being Heel anytime soon. American's love a redemption story, and the battling your demons promo was so Face. I hope that there may be a few more "battle your demons" comments then maybe a 'Demon' arrives to AEW - Wyatt or Balor would be perfect.

AEW roster is looking so strong now - I wonder at what point some talent starts to get frustrated...soon you'll be having to fit in Page, Moxley, Danielson, Cole, Omega, Punk, MJF, Andrade(?) Miro into top spots, That's before you get to Darby Allen, Jungle boy, Rhodes, Malakai Black Jericho, Orange Cassidy. How they handle that will massive for AEW in the next couple of years.

It is very true. If you look at it we havent seen someone like miro for weeks same with lio rush. Their roster is good but its stacked eith too much talent. I think they are going to shoot themselves in the foot unless they start making cutbacks and releasing some of the roster. Its un sustainable 

Â