PL: Chelsea a Match Thread 2010/03/27 15:00

limpid

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would you rest?

OBE:

Thats the question ? what would your gut reaction tell you, at this point in the season with so much importance on this fixture for Chelsea, being that if they drop points to Villa right now, that could be the end of the premiership title for them ( was this the bridge to far for Chelsea), if we are 2-1 up with 10 mins to go are players like Malouda going to start getting bitchy and and frustrated making silly tackles that put players out, for me all this plays its part.

Can we beat Chelsea in this game at this point, I would rest any key player that looks jaded that looks a doubt injury wise, thats coming back from injury.

Thing is MON is more a one trick pony ( I say that with 100% respect to the Man) he goes 100% for every game and looks for the result regardless of the next fixture( except for the Europa cup last year that is) .

Its a really difficult question that singles out the great tacticians from the also rans IMO, Mourinho was a class act in this way, out thinking the opposition manager IMO.

are you a politician? I cant find a single answer in your posts.

I guess you could say that Milner, Dunne, Heskey and probably Agbonlahor will be getting a rest anyway.

I suppose you could put Guzan in for Friedel, Davies in for Collins and Delph in for Petrov if you wanted to mix it up a bit, but other than that we are where we are I think and even those players would still need to be on the bench.

-----------------Guzan------------------

Young---Davies-----Collins---Warnock

Downing---Sidwell---Delph------Young

----------Carew-----Delfouneso-------

Would still be a reasonable side, albeit not one that I think would beat Chelsea.

I guess the bench would then be:

Friedel, Clark, Beye, Collins, Petrov, Albrighton, Weimann.

That's assuming that none of Milner, Gabby, Heskey or Dunne make it back for the game of course and I'd hope we don't risk them if it's touch and go.

Delph is injured.

Oh bugger. Is he? I've missed that.

Let's hope someone gets back to fitness quick then.

If not we could be potentially looking at this:

-------------------Friedel-------------------

Young----Cuellar-----Collins-------Warnock

Downing----Sidwell-----Petrov-------Young

-------------Carew-----Delfouneso----------

subs: Guzan, Davies, Beye, Clark, Salifou, Albrighton, Weimann.

And not an awful lot behind it.

I can see us getting a goal in this game, so I'm strangely hopeful we can pull something off. But it's after the 60th minute, when Petrov runs out of gas, that I'm worried about.

Chelsea's midfield can rip us apart - let alone when our best available centre-mid, can't get stuck in like he can in the first half.

Richard Dunne injured could be a blessing in disguise, L Young coming in.

Jimmy Milner out would be less so, but a well rested Sidders against his old club with many a point to prove could be ok.

Could really do with Gabby back but Fonz would be so desperate to shine if he had to play.

I can totally see us doing an Old Trafford here and blagging a 1-0 win somehow without ever playing well.

1 - 1 John Carew scoring is my prediction though.

Where has all my positivity come from? Not like a Villa fan at all...

Where has all my positivity come from? Not like a Villa fan at all...
I'll tell you what this thread has been unbelievably positive for VT. I like it though.

I have to say, the first thing that came to my mind was the Man U away game.

Guest Ricardomeister

If this game were taking place earlier in the season I would have given us a decent chance of getting something against a Chelski team missing Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Cole, Carvalho and Essien.

Obviously we have to try and go for them (in a controlled way) as a point is certainly not good enough now. Their weakness is now their makeshift fullbacks so our wingers need to take advantage of that.

Unfortunately with Gabby seemingly out again and several injured/tired/out of form players I cannot see anything other than Drogba and Anelka having a field day and Lumplard scoring a 25 yarder with the usual deflection. If we are lucky we may get a consolation from a set piece so it is 4-1 Chelski for me I'm afraid.

UTV SOTC

If there genuinely are changes then it'll be sidwell in a 451 in for heskey and possibly young in for dunne and cuellar in the middle. Not quite sure if I believe him as he's said it before. Whatever happens I can't see past a heavy defeat in this one. They are a much better team.