General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

General

I for one fully support Mr Lerner, and don't believe that he has put a foot wrong since he walked through the door. All you can ask from an owner is that he respects the traditions of the club, and that he backs his manager with money and freedom to do what he wants.

Well he's done all that and more, and given O'Neill the sort of working conditions that other Villa managers could only dream about. In return, I believe he's been badly let down by O'Neill, both in terms of value for money in respect of signings made, and also in the way he has repaid 4 years of brilliant backing by walking out 5 days before the season starts.

I agree with this post, and I hope that Randy remains at the helm for a long while yet.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Krulak here:

1. Again, rather than try to answer everyone's specific questions, let me try to continue to feed info as it becomes available.

2. Obviously I am not in a position to name "targets" for the new Manager...that would not be a smart thing to do. What I will say is that we recognize this is an important decision and one that needs to be done rather quickly but, equally important, in a manner that gets the right man. We DO know how important this will be...no one is thinking it will be easy. Reality is that we have 4 days before our first game and rushing out to get a Manager is not the smart thing to do...just to have someone on the sidelines. One of the sad things about this whole affair is that Martin left when he did. I agree that the Club needs to come out with a statement...and they will. Likewise, Randy will have something to say. Speaking as a Fan, I have read every article about Martin's departure and must say that they are pretty one-sided. There is absolutely no question that Martin did a good deal for Villa and I have said, over and over, that I felt he did a fine job. At the same time, I can promise everyone that he knew and understood the long range plans for the Club and bought into them. He knew full well about the need to bring wages in line with revenue...the same as every Premiership Club. He was absolutely supported by the owner during his time with the Club...all one needs to do is look at the money spent. The reality is that the wage to revenue issue was not addressed and Martin apparently was unwilling to help address it. He quit. Do I think we have some rough times ahead? Probably...but nothing that we can't handle. I have been in some tough scrapes before...and I never got out of them by "wishing it away". I just put my head down and continued to grind it out. At the end of the day, is the aim to get into the Champions League? Absolutely! Is this realistic? Absolutely! Do we still have a way to go? Absolutely! As an aside, no one person is bigger than our Club...not me, not Randy, not Paul, not Martin. What is interesting is that, apparently, only three of those named understand that fact. We will continue to try to do what is right by the Vlla...with the very best of intentions. Will we always get it right...probably not. But we will work damn hard to do the right things.

Fair play for still posting general.

This has made me feel more positive about the situation however i do find it strange that MON walked if nothing had changed and he clearly knew what the situation was.

I just hope the appointment of the next manager and the investment he is given backs up what you say.

Thank's again General it's a tough time but I for one appriciate you taking the time to keep us informed.

Based on the assumption that Beye and Young are on around 40k a week thats just over £4mil in wages a year.Our match day income was round £22mil so we were paying nearly a 5th of our matchday income on 2 rbs who don't play as MON was playing a CB there.I can understand why this is a problem.

One question General what is Randy's feeling on our income situation ,looking at Arsenal for instance their matchday income is £80mil more than us.Can we address this or do we have to concede that the clubs who have been successful for a long period of times have gained alot of new fans (glory hunters )

General if one of Bradley, Southgate, Curbishley or Sven ends up being our next manager then change your predistion from probabaly having tough times ahead to most definitely.

Whatever the reasons for the manager leaving they are neither here nor there now what matters is the next managerial appointment this club makes. Replacing Martin O'Neill is going to be extremely difficult and I have a terrible feeling that the club is going to make a huge mistake due mainly to the fact that many at the club are lets just say a little bit naive given the rubbish that is spouted about getting into the champions league with nowhere near the financial muscle to back those claims up. Talk is cheap. I hope I am proved wrong.

Of the realistic options Martin Jol seems to be the best bet. Go get him.

all one needs to do is look at the money spent. The reality is that the wage to revenue issue was not addressed and Martin apparently was unwilling to help address it. He quit

Interesting comment General. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks General, and fair play for posting so quickly... espeically since the rags are already getting a hold of your comments (see the Mirror website...).

Sounds like MON has spat his dumy out if wht you say is true, and we have no reason to doubt your word.

This bit seems particularly pertinent:

As an aside, no one person is bigger than our Club...not me, not Randy, not Paul, not Martin. What is interesting is that, apparently, only three of those named understand that fact.

General.

I really really appreciate you doing this and trying to keep the communications going during this firestorm of comment, opinion, etc.

However, your statement above sadly just raises more questions for me than it answers. For example, you imply that MON bought into the long range plans for the club, but later on you say that he wasn't prepared to help address the wages to revenue issue (which is, presumably pretty crucial to the long term strategy). I don't see how both those statements can apply.

This just emphasises how important it is for the club to put out as full a statement as possible about the circumstances of MON's departure as it sees them.

However, what I really came on to say was that we must not get drawn into an extended session of beating ourselves up and endlessly agonising over why MON left. He has left us now and, in a strong sense, he is yesterday's man and we need to look forward.

I think it is crucial that we have a statement as soon as possible about the process for appointing a new manager, the position on transfer business over the next few days, and Mr Lerner's approach to investing in the club in the short, medium and long term.

You will appreciate that, rightly or wrongly, the last of those issue has been called into question over this summer, with an only partially explained "sell to buy" policy, and now the manger's departure, apparently over transfer funding and policy..

General

Thank you for your replies on the MON affair just wondered with him tendering his resignation and in effect breaking the 1 year rolling contract ? Does it mean he leaves without any severance pay ? And do the rest of his team Robertson / Walford / Doogan and the GK Coach and physio go aswell ?

General,

Thanks for your candid post.

Aston Villa will never die, so we look forward to the new appointment, and he (she!?)* will receive the support of the vast majority of supporters whoever it may be.

*inserted for political correctness :winkold:

There are some big questions about the financial future of the club that can be deflected for a while by sniping at the man who has just bailed out, but must be answered at some point soon.

i agree with this.

cheers for replying general but its pretty obvious whos side your gonna take.

you said MON didnt do nothing to help the wage to revenue costs? what can he do if other clubs are not bidding for players we want off the wage bill?

and i take it because of the wage to revenue issue we are not able to offer new contracts to our best players, which will see them leave in the not too distant future.