General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

General,

What a total farce this summer has been and to cap it all off rumours are players are being sold against the managers wishes. Subsequently the best manager this club has had in years is forced out. Total disaster.

This wasn't the "Bright Future" we were being sold, was it?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are lots of calls for answers, why don't we start with some questions?

General, was today's resignation by the manager as much of a surprise to Randy and the board as it was to us?

Is there a timescale for the appointment of a new manager and how quickly can we progress on this?

Will there be a freeze on transfers both in and out during this interim period where we don't have anyone responsible for building the side (with the exception of those deals that are already complete like the Milner one)?

With the unfortunate timing of this resignation, what approach to this season do you feel the club can still take?

Thank you.

General Krulak here:

1. imavillan: I am very sorry you have decided not to renew your season ticket. Although it is obvious that some feel like you do, I think it is instructive that year on year, we are ahead of ticket sales!! So some folks have not given up the ghost. First off, WE have NOT given up!! As I have said many times, Randy is as passionate about the Club as ever...probably moreso. He is in the UK now...has been there far more often this year than ever before. He is DEEP into the Club. You are correct about one thing...this is a business. To continue to sink more money into the Club wage bill without moving some people along just doesn't make sense. You say to discount the youth...I say that is near sighted. We have, perhaps, the strongest youth program in the Premiership and the some of those players are ready to make an impact today...not tomorrow. You look at some of those lads who played last night and add them to some of the folks we already have and I think it is a strong squad right now. James Milner is a superb player...Barry was a solid player...and yes, Barry left and Milner may well go. Let's see what happens in that case...will it just be $$$ or will there be another talented player to step in along with the money. My point is that you have not renewed your ST and you aren't even sure of what will happen this season. Last year, after the first game, everyone was ready to hang it up. As it turned out, there were some real highpoints to the season. Sell to buy is NOT a bad thing...particularly if the wage bill doesn't make sense with revenue. Take a look at the squad roster...total squad...and tell me you think it is a bad idea.

2. MON is still deeply involved in transfers. And Mrs "K" is a center midfielder...great pace, nose for the goal, and powerful with both left and right foot.

Apologies in advance for the long post.

General,

I take no satisfaction in this but with MON resigning this is more justification for me not renewing.

I would like to take you up on a couple of points.

Quote ''Sell to buy is not a bad thing''

Yes you need a turnover of players, they come and go but the players we need to be selling are not the likes of Barry, Milner and Ashley. They are the very quality we should be building the team around.

Do you agree with this?

Quote ''take a look at the squad roster and tell me you think its not a bad idea''

Well its the same answer as above. Sell your best players and you will become weaker. This may be in the short term until the youth prosper but when they do the big boys will come calling and heads will be turned. It becomes a vicious circle and then the world knows we are a selling club.

Having a strong youth programme is laudible and should be commended but not if all we are going to use it for is to make ends meet by selling the quality.

The writing is and has been on the wall for all to see.

I believe we are in for a mediocre season at best.

You have continually told us that you and the board trust MON and that we should as well.

Clearly that trust is not a two way thing as if it was then MON would not have done what he has.

The fans of this splendid football club have yet another kick in the teeth. If you know part of our ''proud history'' we have always shot ourselves in the foot whenever we have put ourselves into a strong position.

This is groundhog day.

I appreciate that this will be difficult for you but the fans of this football club deserve the truth.

Will you tell the fans what has happened?

what an absolute disgrace.

Martin blatantly didn't want to leave; he was pushed. I fear the revelations that may emerge in the next couple of days are going to be even more damning and damaging for the club.

By doing this 5 days before the first match of a new campaign is like shooting the pilots on a plane as there about to land. I don't know what you, or the board are expecting this season, but i can tell you its not going to be going anywhere near as good as previous years both on and off the pitch.

The question has to be raised, What are the boards intentions for the club? while undoubtedly you have done allot of good hard work for the club; you may have undone all that in one silly move.

Is Randy trying to recuperate his money/loan? Theres always been an underlying doubt since Randy took over with what his intentions actually were; and now more then ever is the greatest inclination that his intentions are not what the fans would believe.

At least in the Doug Ellis days we knew where we stood.

General,

Mosaics are nice to have, the Holte Hotel is nice, unneccessary stadium redevelopment is nice too I guess, you answering questions about ticket sales is nice BUT the point of Aston Villa is to produce a successfull football team - thats what all of this is about - so no more spin please, no more platitudes about building a family, no more positive corkscrews on manifestly negative news...you have put your yoursefl forward as the voice of the club on these forums, so for once, can you tell us the truth, without spin, and if you are unable to at this time, does that not put into question, your credibility and effectivness to carry out the role you have set for yourself on this and other forums?

(Sorry for posting a "non-question"..)

imavillan, I can't wait for Gen to reply to you. You seem to have the wrong end of every stick.

- Ash hasn't been sold.

- Barry was sold for £12m when he had one year on his contract. He now looks slow and we replaced him with Milner in the middle with ease.

- If Milner is sold then I'm sure we'll be getting a huge sum of money OR a player of the same ability + a decent amount of money to invest in the squad.

- The sell to buy policy is more to do with the fact that we've had Shorey, Sidwell, L Young, Beye, NRC & Davies sat on the bench for probably £30k-£50k per week.

- The youth policy and, as you say, "selling the quality" wouldn't last forever. If we sell Milner and get Ireland + £15m then we can invest that into the squad. IF Ashley Young gets sold for £25m next year - surely we'll use that to replace Young and then use the other money to invest in the squad. This won't be indefinite because we'll eventually get to the point where our players wouldn't want to leave because we'd be pushing for a CL place ourselves.

Spurs have been doing it and they're fine.

I'll bow out of this thread now, I know it's not a discussion thread. sorrryyy mods. :winkold:

General, I hold Randy in very high esteem. The appointment of our next manager will define the way Villa grow as a club. We need an astute coach who can work with our present squad and produce not only a winning style of football but an entertaining style that will grow the fan base at Villa park. If we appoint the right talented individual then today will become a plus for us rather than just a sad day.

General, what managers do you think we could realistically get who are better than MON? I can't think of one!

Feels like the season has been ruined already.

What happened? and Is there any way we could convince MON to come back?

Sort their differences out! I think the majority of fans would rather MON stay!

General I know your baring the brunt at the mo but as a fellow military man you can sense the BS a mile away so lets leave the slick PR behind and talk honestly about what has happened.

I`m sorry if this post is more a "venting off" but I along with many other fans are gob smacked at the events which have occurred during today and as paying customers deserve to know what is going on.

My greatest fear that all the investment has been "window dressing" and that our beloved Club will resemble the Cleveland Browns ethos of "a$$es and elbows" which brings me to the point of just how serious is Randy about this "Champs League Dream"? As it appears were losing our best players and lost a fine manager too.

Randy may be the owner on paper but were the main proprietors and it`s "our" Club if he wants to treat it with contempt then I suggest you pack your bags and head back over the pond as the natives are getting restless.

Once again sorry for the post ( and sorry to fellow VT`ers ) I wish I hadn`t of had to write something like this but`s it`s as if we`ve been "un-plugged" from the matrix so to speak.

General,

There are plenty of questions and you are going to be very busy. Please, please just tell us the truth. You will find many more people will understand than if it's a mixed message or some kind of cover up.

The timing of O'Neill's departure is very, very unfortunate. Was this down to a change in policy since O'Neill publically said he would be staying at Villa Park? Or was this Martin deciding he couldn't fulfill what he had previously agreed to?

Hi General

It is a shocking state of affairs when our manager decides to leave days before the start of the season. It's been clear for months now that Milner was going to go - why oh why wasn't it clear a long time ago what portion of that fee O'Neill was going to get to reinvest? :bang:

In terms of player contracts why aren't we smarter? Why do we let contracts get down to 2 years or less when we want to keep players? How did Milner's get down to 2 years without us doing something? Why does Young's have just 2 years to run?? Sounds a mess with no proper controls to me. :bang:

In terms of the future:

a) We need Stephen Ireland and he is a signing that will excite the fans

B) We MUST not sell Ashley Young and in particular not to Spurs! It that ever happens I will be disgusted!

c) Don't get Sven!

It's time for some answers because the vast majority are feeling let down. So much for the 5 year plan :bang:

I think the General will be well aware already that questions will want/need to be answered. Think it's pretty much been covered now, so can we just wait to hear what the man has to say now, pleae. It can't have been any easy day for everyone involved at Villa and emotions are going to be at a high and raw.

General,

In recent times I've heard from your good self that the relationship between everybody is as sweet as a nut. Randy Lerner has told MON that the money is there to spend and this is coming from you so of course we're going to believe that the club is definitely looking up.

Now obviously something has happened between now and then and I throughly understand that considering it might not be our business it's still our right to know are the rumors true? It's all about the money these days and to think it's come between our very manager and chairman is just stomach churning. I am deeply gutted and I feel let down and worried by a future that has the potential to become bleak instead of bright. I have every respect and faith in you and Randy to keep us from dropping down but answers regarding our money would enlighten alot of Villa fans worries. Is the sell to buy a myth?

Thank you General and I hope everything is sorted before too long!

General,

Are the club accepting "Football Manager" C.V.'s? I have a notable predigree having won the league in the 10/11 season with Villa and in the interest of the clubs current cost saving regime would want relatively cheap wages... ;)

On a serious note I would strongly recommend the club issues a statement clarifying the situation in the very near future to avoid a fan and media led backlash that will inevitably happen. This event is something of a PR disaster for the club in a period when there has been very little positive press.

Given my personal scepticism that this particularly thread is nothing more than a PR excersize will you be providing frank responses on this forum regarding the events of yesterday and the Milner deal or are we likely to be left in the dark when matters of real importance are questioned??