The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

For some unknown reason I got up and watched that Mayweather vs Logan "fight"

Glad to see I've continued my streak of only watching incredibly shit fights.

Was clear after about round 3 that nobody was going to get knocked out, and with there being no winner it made it pointless.

I wish there was away to ban clinches or seriously limit them. As a very casual boxing viewer, it seems to ruin so many fights

I take issue with the word " fight " .

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Is Uysk v Joshua actually agreed, all gone very quiet 

Hearn said they don't want to go to purse bids and the WBO have given them an extension to get it sorted themselves. It's in Usyk's interest not to go to purse bid. 80/20 split for the champion. He'll make more thrashing it out before it goes that far. Talking late August. Not a huge build up but id imagine both are in camp and training ages now.

• Thanks 1

I know it was an exhibition and you had the disparity in weight etc but Mayweather looked terrible the other night. Even against McGregor i thought he could still probably give a top welterweight a fight at that time. He looked old Saturday night, as he should. He needs to stop thinking he's the Peter pan of boxing, go into the background and build up his promotional company because it's a bit of a joke. Tank Davis, that's it.

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I know it was an exhibition and you had the disparity in weight etc but Mayweather looked terrible the other night. Even against McGregor i thought he could still probably give a top welterweight a fight at that time. He looked old Saturday night, as he should. He needs to stop thinking he's the Peter pan of boxing, go into the background and build up his promotional company because it's a bit of a joke. Tank Davis, that's it.

Time waits for no man, not even a great man

Boxing is one of those sports where they still throw huge sums of money at old, ex-boxers.

Maybe when one is killed they’ll revisit the rules.

It must be hard for anyone to turn down £30m for a single exhibition fight against someone who has never fought a boxer before.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Boxing is one of those sports where they still throw huge sums of money at old, ex-boxers.

Maybe when one is killed they’ll revisit the rules.

It must be hard for anyone to turn down £30m for a single exhibition fight against someone who has never fought a boxer before.

Especially when you burn through money like Floyd does.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I think the jokes on whoever is paying the millions. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Especially when you burn through money like Floyd does.

In fairness, he could spend a hundred grand a day from now until the day he dies if he makes it to 90 and not run out; I reckon he'll be okay.

Sky signed a 4 year deal to show 18 live top rank shows per year. Of course these will be A.M cards but top rank have a great stable. As for the UK prime time slot, they've said they are basically open for business and will work with any promoter. I thought they'd dither after Hearn left for DAZN and after they showed Mayweather - Paul , i even doubted their commitment to stay in boxing. This is impressive. 

Just read Kirkland Laing passed away last week, RIP a very special talent who probably very much underachieved in his career. On his day a match for anyone and well avoided by the Ragamuffin man

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Just read Kirkland Laing passed away last week, RIP a very special talent who probably very much underachieved in his career. On his day a match for anyone and well avoided by the Ragamuffin man

I was going to post a comment myself about his passing.  I'm glad you have beat me to it. One of those great eccentric, sportsmen, whose talent,  sadly, was compromised by his own self - destruction. He was good when he never even trained, imagine he had lived the life ? There's two fights that stand out for me and both against the same opponent, Colin Jones, who was no slouch. Kirkland boxed the head off Jones in both fights for eight rounds only for Jones to land a knockout punch in the ninth. Talk about de ja vu.

So sad the way things ended for him and hardly any mention about his passing. Nice touch that you mentioned him, Folly.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I heard about this last week. He was a really talented fighter proven by the fact he beat Duran in his prime.  Had a bit of troubled life outside the ring by all accounts.

His brother Clubber was decent as well and held the heavyweight world title in the early 80's for a short time.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I heard about this last week. He was a really talented fighter proven by the fact he beat Duran in his prime.  Had a bit of troubled life outside the ring by all accounts.

His brother Clubber was decent as well and held the heavyweight world title in the early 80's for a short time.  

If only he would’ve travelled by plane he would’ve had a lot more Continental fights

• Haha 2

On 07/06/2021 at 12:49, Johnnyp said:

No MMA fighter has a boxing game that can be transferred to a boxing fight. It's a myth. Ok we can say their stand up game or whatever you call it is good but it's not boxing in a boxing sense. When an MMA fight elects to stand up and fight, look at how wide apart their legs are ( understandable as it's an all body attack / defence ) The reason most MMA fighters don't do well in a boxing fight is because they can't box, really. Stance, rushing in, delivery of punches - they'd be cleaned out in a boxing fight.

On 07/06/2021 at 13:08, YouUnastanFren said:

Striking in MMA and boxing are obviously very different but there are/have been several over the years who have/could have transitioned and made some kind of career out of it.

The same is definitely true the other way as well. At the end of the day it's just a case of training for the rule set.

On this subject 46 year old Anderson Silva just beat 35 year old JCC jr.

He's probably the closest equivalent to Cintron in that he was world champ in his sport but if he'd switched codes full time early enough (20+ years ago) he could potentially have made it to world level in the other sport imo.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/57770810

The trilogy fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas on 24 July has been postponed after the Briton tested positive for coronavirus.

A source close to Fury told BBC Sport the WBC world heavyweight champion was deeply frustrated by the situation.

Fury tested positive on Thursday and after discussions with medical experts the fight was called off - it is likely to be rescheduled for October.

Wilder's manager Shelly Finkel said: "Deontay is disappointed."

The WBC have confirmed the postponement, while an official announcement from the promoters Top Rank is expected later on Friday.

Fury beat Wilder to become WBC champion in February 2020 - 14 months after the pair shared a thrilling draw in Los Angeles.

Neither man has fought since Fury's victory in Las Vegas.

After a third fight fell through several times because of complications around the Covid-19 pandemic, Fury sought to move on and face fellow Briton Anthony Joshua, who holds the other three significant titles at heavyweight.

But an arbitration hearing ruled Wilder had contractual grounds for a third contest.

Fury is unbeaten in his 31 fights, while Wilder has just one defeat in 44 outings.

BBC boxing correspondent Mike Costello said the delay "also jeopardises the chances of Fury taking on Anthony Joshua later this year in a unification showdown".

He added: "Joshua's team have been negotiating with the Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk about a possible contest in September."

Â