The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

True

But spence is alot better than thurman

Who knows. They've not fought each other. Thurman has also beaten Garcia and Porter like Spence done. Thurman is very good. Shows how good and dangerous Pacquiao is.

If I was Pac Man I'd be getting some pretty heavy rehydration clauses put into the contract, Pac is a small WW and Spence is pretty **** huge at the weight, you would think that Spence will just be too much for Pac but at the same time Pac is a wily old fox isn't he

Fury just announced on the Taylor - Ramirez telecast that he's signed for wilder 3. That's the Joshua fight done for good so. Usyk mugs Joshua, makes him look silly and beats him on points.

Just the knockdowns the difference according to Buncey, All three judges got the same score as well which is rare over there. Did not see it I listened to it on radio five. Apparently he was five rounds down one point

Edited by Follyfoot

It was a weird fight.  I had it on the radio also, but was in the fight thread on Reddit and following the hashtag on Twitter.  Scores were all over the place but they seemed to mostly vary between Josh by a mile, Josh by a little bit because of the knockdowns or Josh is gonna get screwed.  Mostly Americans talking by the looks of it too. 

The ref Kenny Bayless was definitely kind to Ramírez with both knockdowns, and especially following this (absolutely beautiful) uppercut and people on both sides thought he had a bad night. I didn’t realise just how old he was either, I know he’s been around for a while but he’s 71! 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It was a weird fight.  I had it on the radio also, but was in the fight thread on Reddit and following the hashtag on Twitter.  Scores were all over the place but they seemed to mostly vary between Josh by a mile, Josh by a little bit because of the knockdowns or Josh is gonna get screwed.  Mostly Americans talking by the looks of it too. 

The ref Kenny Bayless was definitely kind to Ramírez with both knockdowns, and especially following this (absolutely beautiful) uppercut and people on both sides thought he had a bad night. I didn’t realise just how old he was either, I know he’s been around for a while but he’s 71! 

Sorry, i don't understand what you mean by kind to Ramirez from both lockdowns. It looks like he picks the count up from the timekeeper on both occasions, Ramirez up before 10 and he was well enough to continue. Maybe im missing something.

Terrible refereeing in the Taylor fight. It's like Josh said, he needed those two knock- downs as insurance for the decision. What an accomplishment by the kid. That talent along with unbelievable self- confidence is a fine recipe and it's going to take a very special talent to knock him of his perch. He was in Ramirez's head all week and the Yank didn't like it one bit.

I love that nasty streak in Taylor when he's in fight mode. They were totally shocked by the way he believed in himself. There's nothing meek about Josh. Hopefully, he now moves up to welterweight where there's some cracking fights to be had. I wouldn't underestimate him against any of the top welterweights. Incidentally, what' a fight Spence and Pac man might be although, for Pac, he might be biting off more than he can chew. Spence ain't no Keith Thurman, that's for sure. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Terrible refereeing in the Taylor fight. It's like Josh said, he needed those two knock- downs as insurance for the decision. What an accomplishment by the kid. That talent along with unbelievable self- confidence is a fine recipe and it's going to take a very special talent to knock him of his perch. He was in Ramirez's head all week and the Yank didn't like it one bit.

I love that nasty streak in Taylor when he's in fight mode. They were totally shocked by the way he believed in himself. There's nothing meek about Josh. Hopefully, he now moves up to welterweight where there's some cracking fights to be had. I wouldn't underestimate him against any of the top welterweights. Incidentally, what' a fight Spence and Pac man might be although, for Pac, it might be biting off more than he can chew. Spence ain't no Keith Thurman, that's for sure. 

It's all relative, Manny ain't no Danny Garcia. It'll be tough for Spence. He should win but tough fight. Great performance from Taylor. The Mcguigans are cretins with how they screw fighters over ( Frampton, Taylor, read Chantelle Cameron's story on them ) If a lot of people are leaving you, something is wrong. One thing I'll give them credit for with Taylor, they matched him superbly. From fighting O'Hara Davies when he was billed for big things. A very dangerous fight in a still world class opponent in Postol who had just lost to Crawford. And they got him into the world boxing super series where he had a path to the world titles. 

Taylor v Crawford be a good fight. Has the selling point of the current undisputed lightweight champion v the former. Both undefeated. Crawford wouldn't have much size on him. Let's not forget, he was fighting Ricky Burns for his first world title at lightweight.

Just watched the Haney v Linares fight. Some scintillating stuff. That jab of Haneys just might be the best in the business, but that chin looked a tad susceptible. What a warrior, Linares is. He tried to the end, but class told in the end. Some great fights to be made in that lightweight division. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Just watched the Haney v Linares fight. Some scintillating stuff. That jab of Haneys just might be the best in the business, but that chin looked a tad susceptible. What a warrior, Linares is. He tried to the end, but class told in the end. Some great fights to be made in that lightweight division. 

Unreal division.

Impressive win but what could have been for Linares, poor ring management at start of 11 but after 10 rounds on that it was understandable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He won't keep Lopez off him with that jab. He's too good, he'd get inside that. Looks like the guy can't punch either. Linares said as much post fight.

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

He won't keep Lopez off him with that jab. He's too good, he'd get inside that. Looks like the guy can't punch either. Linares said as much post fight.

There's no denying, Haney has some skill set as he proved last night. If Haney was so feather fisted why didn't Linares walk him down ? Why wait till the 10th rd. For most of the fight Haney was walking Linares down. As for Lopez, I can't wait to see him humbled.. Arrogance is fine, but you have to lace it with a little humour for it to become palatable to the public, a la, Ali or Naz. I mean, suggesting Taylor ducked him. The man is delusional. 

I think Haney may well have a dodgy chin, but I guarantee he will give any lightweight a run for their money. Credit where credits due.

On 30/05/2021 at 16:25, sheepyvillian said:

There's no denying, Haney has some skill set as he proved last night. If Haney was so feather fisted why didn't Linares walk him down ? Why wait till the 10th rd. For most of the fight Haney was walking Linares down. As for Lopez, I can't wait to see him humbled.. Arrogance is fine, but you have to lace it with a little humour for it to become palatable to the public, a la, Ali or Naz. I mean, suggesting Taylor ducked him. The man is delusional. 

I think Haney may well have a dodgy chin, but I guarantee he will give any lightweight a run for their money. Credit where credits due.

I wouldn't exactly say he was feather fisted. I mean he has pop in his punches sure, but he's not a puncher on a Lopez level ( see Commey, Magdaleno fights ) or even Tank Davis. Linares has been ironed out 5 times in his career so he isn't walking anyone down. I don't like the way Lopez rinses fighters and stands over them doing the fortnite celebration. It's a prick move but it can give you the impression he's complacent. Arrogance implies ego. He fights very disciplined and mentally he's on it when the bell rings. You don't outbox Lomachenko if your head isn't in the game. So unless someone turns his lights out, he can do all the silly stuff if he's turning in performances.

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I wouldn't exactly say he was feather fisted. I mean he has pop in his punches sure, but he's not a puncher on a Lopez level ( see Commey, Magdaleno fights ) or even Tank Davis. Linares has been ironed out 5 times in his career so he isn't walking anyone down. I don't like the way Lopez rinses fighters and stands over them doing the fortnite celebration. It's a prick move but it can give you the impression he's complacent. Arrogance implies ego. He fights very disciplined and mentally he's on it when the bell rings. You don't outbox Lomachenko if your head isn't in the game. So unless someone turns his lights out, he can do all the silly stuff if he's turning in performances.

I don't recall Lopez hurting Lomo, and Lomo is no natural lightweight. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't recall Lopez hurting Lomo, and Lomo is no natural lightweight. 

Ah so that's how it works eh. He gets beaten and he's not a natural lightweight. No issue though when he stopped linares at lightweight and beat a career lightweight in Campbell. So are you saying he wasn't big enough or good enough to beat Lopez ? Because he was big enough to beat a big lightweight in Campbell. I'm not discrediting Haney. Talented boxer. But you have to be getting rid of old Linares and Gamboa and make a statement. At lightweight he doesn't beat Lopez. Hard to see where he goes though. Teofimo talking about forcing the mandatory.

Edited by Johnnyp

Â