The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Thought the Buatsi fight was a cracker.  The perfect opponent for this stage of his career. He really can turn it on at times, Buatsi. He has that quiet determination about his work that is slightly reminiscent of Evander Holyfield. I think he's certainly capable of a World title.

I thought Cordina looked classy too.

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

All I can say about the Pacquiao fight is, imagine what Spence would have done to him.

He wasn't prepared for a fight he probably couldn't win. Ugas fought an almost perfect fight for me. Pacmans heart was impressive but time is surely up at this level.

Edit, that right from Magsayo was a thing of beauty. 

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

He wasn't prepared for a fight he probably couldn't win. Ugas fought an almost perfect fight for me. Pacmans heart was impressive but time is surely up at this level.

That opponent that all the great boxers dread, Father Time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

We’ll never know now. Hopefully Spence grows a pair and fights Crawford now. 

We can certainly conjecture that it would of only gone one way and a painful way at that.  Ain't no way a 42yr old former elite boxer is going to beat a prime elite, boxer.

Exactly the same thing happened to Sugar Ray Leonard when he fought Terry Norris. You can't kid yourself in a sport like boxing.

That's why Mayweather' only fights exhibitions. He knows he's long past his prime, so why bother. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I agree unfortunately.

Pacman is the reason I first got into boxing and I just want him to hang it up before he gets hurt. He has nothing else to prove to anybody.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

We can certainly conjecture that it would of only gone one way and a painful way at that.  Ain't no way a 42yr old former elite boxer is going to beat a prime elite, boxer.

Exactly the same thing happened to Sugar Ray Leonard when he fought Terry Norris. You can't kid yourself in a sport like boxing.

That's why Mayweather' only fights exhibitions. He knows he's long past his prime, so why bother. 

At least Spence has to show his hand now. This was the name on his resume, and his biggest pay day. He’s been banging on about how me might only have 1 fight left at welterweight as he’s growing out of the weight. Let’s see will he fight Ugas or Crawford.

Edited by Johnnyp

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

At least Spence has to show his hand now. This was the name on his resume, and his biggest pay day. He’s been banging on about how me might only have 1 fight left at welterweight as he’s growing out of the weight. Let’s see will he fight Ugas or Crawford.

He's unlucky. Ain't nothing you can do about a torn retina. I still fancy him to beat Crawford, but I have doubts it will happen. I think Ortiz is ready for Crawford and maybe Spence.

3 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I know there is an argument to say it wasn't "actual" boxing. But dear me Tyron, you embarrassed yourself last night.

Hope Jorge gets his hands on the reality kid. Woodley has fallen off a cliff, probably had a secret hand shake to take it easy.

I hate when people use events like this to show that boxing is somehow "superior" to MMA. It's simple, an MMA fighter will likely lose in a boxing match, just as a boxer will likely get mauled in an MMA fight. Even if you train a striking martial art, unless it's specifically "boxing", you probably won't beat a boxer in their own sport. Jake Paul might be a better boxer than Woodley, but Woodley is a better fighter.

The guy isn't going to get any real respect until he fights someone his size, his age, who is an actual boxer instead of cherry picking non-boxers twice his age.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Lara Warrington rematch tonight. Interesting to see if the thousands of his home fans in attendance make the difference this time. Still edging towards Lara after the last performance what should be a good tear up

14 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Looking forward to the Lara Warrington rematch tonight. Interesting to see if the thousands of his home fans in attendance make the difference this time. Still edging towards Lara after the last performance what should be a good tear up

Just as it was warming up. It seemed, to me, like Warrington was being a little careless with hie head movement. Lara was continually looking at the ref, as if to say, " tell him to mind his head ".

Monster of a cut though. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

Â