General Chat

Stevo985

Sitting in the Lake District, and just saw what looked very much like an F-15 being tailed by a Tornado. Ukrainian pilots in training? Or USAF/RAF joint manoeuvres? 

I was watching my son train on Saturday morning and a huge military cargo plane flew over (no idea on the model) but it’s extremely rare to see military aircraft here.

Edited by Genie

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was watching my so train on Saturday morning and a huge military cargo plane flew over (no idea on the model) but it’s extremely rare to see military aircraft here.

all-aboard-train.gif

• Haha 1

• Rds1983, sidcow, Marka Ragnos and 1 other
  • There is nothing wrong with his mind but everything else is deteriorating badly.He cant walk,eat without help,has to wear nappies ( diapers ) in fact he cant do anything at all.But, as I said his mind is ok,so he knows what he has become and what is happening to him.Sad.
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Do we need high streets?

Depends on what your after. Peoples habits have certainly changed but i think having high streets is good keeps us off the sofa and gets us out the house.

Also keeps people in jobs

If we're to have 15 minute cities and people are to ditch the car we need to have booming high streets with local shops meeting your needs and reduced mega supermarkets in out of town locations. 

Obviously they'll do nothing to actually make this happen so we'll end up with shit high streets and a hugely awkward journey to the supermarket. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Depends on what your after. Peoples habits have certainly changed but i think having high streets is good keeps us off the sofa and gets us out the house.

It doesn’t though. Surely that’s the problem

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd like to think we need them as part of a society and a community but the reality is as a function no we dont

Blame the Internet or the supermarkets or a mixture of the two

We need amazon and tesco, we can interact with other people on facebook

Might as well start selling tickets to the axiom...

What I'd love to see is the owners of the vacants on the high street lower the rent and independents pop up but they won't (and if they did I wouldn't actually shop there, I just like the idea) bar vaping and mobile phone cases I can't think of a single independent shop in kiddy town centre

• Like 1

In my recent experience, whenever I walk down a shopping high street or a shopping centre, I always think it’s reasonably busy.

And that’s during the week and at weekends. During the day, I should add. After working hours I have less of an idea, it’s quiet on the rare times I’m passing by at that hour.

Of course, whether people are buying stuff is another matter. But they’re definitely out and about. To put it in basic terms, when I was buying my daughter some clothes the other day in H&M, I had to queue for enough time that the person I was with was becoming annoyed at how long we were waiting. And while I’m sure there are times when Primark isn’t completely rammed, I’ve yet to encounter this small window of time. 

To give a general idea, think the number of zombies in and around the shopping centre in Dawn of the Dead as opposed to Cillian Murphy walking about London on his own.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Depends on what type of person you are and what youd looking for. I prefer when it comes to clothwa to go high street try it on buy it. When you go buy clothes online you dont like it cant be asked for all the hassle of sending back. 

I like popping out as it keeps me active, can easily get stuck in a lazy cycle all day

When i do go out my local shopping centres as still busy as ****

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Depends on what type of person you are and what youd looking for. I prefer when it comes to clothwa to go high street try it on buy it. When you go buy clothes online you dont like it cant be asked for all the hassle of sending back. 

I like popping out as it keeps me active, can easily get stuck in a lazy cycle all day

Yes, it's always mystified me. Surely the one thing that shouldn't work online is clothes sales. Surely you want to check fit, style, materials, how it looks on you? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Yes, it's always mystified me. Surely the one thing that shouldn't work online is clothes sales. Surely you want to check fit, style, materials, how it looks on you? 

I dont like ordering clothes online. I did it a few times and sizes are all wrong then have to go tgrough the whole process of going to one of these shops where they send you a QR code then you go to one of the shops, the shops machines broken so you have to drive around find another. LONG

Only thing i tend to order online clothes wise is villa gear and even that i had a nightmare.  Ordered a villa long sleeve top under kappa and the thing was like a pyjama top had to send it back and then get charged for the luxury by villa. Its annoying but as i dont live in brum dont have a choice on that one.

Shops is the one for clothes

because you have the right to send it back i actually think clothes shopping is better online, you've got more time to think about it

and my wife has klarna or some such thing so she's ordering stuff that she has no intention of keeping and not paying until she does keep something, she's dress shopping for a summer wedding, order twenty something of them, tried them all on, sent them all back

and the only thing i wont do online is villa stuff dem 😄 because i didn't trust kappa and I've never worn a castore product before so wont order it before ive been to the shop and tried one on

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'd like to think we need them as part of a society and a community but the reality is as a function no we dont

Blame the Internet or the supermarkets or a mixture of the two

We need amazon and tesco, we can interact with other people on facebook

Might as well start selling tickets to the axiom...

What I'd love to see is the owners of the vacants on the high street lower the rent and independents pop up but they won't (and if they did I wouldn't actually shop there, I just like the idea) bar vaping and mobile phone cases I can't think of a single independent shop in kiddy town centre

What a sad indictment of modern day life this post is :D 

Amazon is great for clothes shopping, you can either try before you buy. Or if you pay upfront and decide you don’t want it you can return for free and they issue refund as soon as you hand the package to the courier.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The point is if the high street really did get people out of the house then there wouldn't be a problem. They're dying because nobody uses them

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

because you have the right to send it back i actually think clothes shopping is better online, you've got more time to think about it

and my wife has klarna or some such thing so she's ordering stuff that she has no intention of keeping and not paying until she does keep something, she's dress shopping for a summer wedding, order twenty something of them, tried them all on, sent them all back

and the only thing i wont do online is villa stuff dem 😄 because i didn't trust kappa and I've never worn a castore product before so wont order it before ive been to the shop and tried one on

Yep

Buy 20 things, when they arrive try everything on and send back the 18 you don't want

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep

Buy 20 things, when they arrive try everything on and send back the 18 you don't want

This approach to buying goods, especially clothes is becoming rather unsustainable for the companies that sell this way

I think I read somewhere recently that online returns cost companies something like 60% of the original selling price

• Like 1

Â