General Chat

Stevo985

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

according to the blurb it was a real stunt 

No apparent safety harnesses. And surely it's always extremely windy up at those heights? 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

No apparent safety harnesses. And surely it's always extremely windy up at those heights? 

Ive been up the top , on the inside obviously , and from memory it wasn’t too bad , you could kinda lean out a small opening and see the fountains down below and hear ground noise rather than high wind noise … so I guess if the conditions are good then you are ok.

It was some  stunt woman , but I couldn’t see any obvious parachute or anything on her back , either way she’s clearly insane !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I hope that was faked. Made me feel quite queasy. 

I’m absolutely fine with heights, in person. Done all kinds of big height stuff, jumping off cliffs into the sea, jumping off cliffs hang-gliding, climbing under a road bridge over a ravine, abseiling… rock climbing, all utterly unbothered by the height.

But videos like that one make my legs go slightly tingly. I dunno if it’s because you have no control, maybe over the situation? Compared to actually being at height, I mean.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

I’m absolutely fine with heights, in person. Done all kinds of big height stuff, jumping off cliffs into the sea, jumping off cliffs hang-gliding, climbing under a road bridge over a ravine, abseiling… rock climbing, all utterly unbothered by the height.

But videos like that one make my legs go slightly tingly. I dunno if it’s because you have no control, maybe over the situation? Compared to actually being at height, I mean.

Totally. I don't mind walking up to the cliff edge for a decko, but if I see somebody else doing it, it gives me the willies. 

• Like 1

Heights can eff the eff off

Never used to bother me, then they suddenly did

I can conquer it as I climbed Sydney Harbour Bridge but I still choose not to put myself in those situations most of the time

I don’t know from one day to the next if I’m going to be ok with heights.

I do a fair bit of standing on roofs, usually by climbing up scaffolding ladders. Some days, I’m fearless and will enjoy the view and the privilege of seeing a city from a different angle. 

Then some days, it’s a no. Some days I get there and have to tell people I won’t be joining them on the roof. Luckily, I’m big and gruff enough not to be cajoled in to giving it a go and then being a liability once I’m up there. Doesn’t happen often, 2 or 3 times a year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Never used to bother me, then they suddenly did

I can conquer it … but I still choose not to put myself in those situations most of the time

I used to actively seek out kind of height challenges and thrills, but you’re right, I think. I don’t anymore, mostly. I think it might be being more aware of our fragility as we get older.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I do a fair bit of standing on roofs, usually by climbing up scaffolding ladders. Some days, I’m fearless and will enjoy the view and the privilege of seeing a city from a different angle. 

Yeah, that’s great. Last roof I climbed on was onto the roof of an air traffic control tower in the desert. Fantastic view of….er, desert, 360, but at least there was a breeze.55D7D5C7-4889-42A4-A6D6-B806D886B23D.jpeg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t know from one day to the next if I’m going to be ok with heights.

Then some days, it’s a no. Some days I get there and have to tell people I won’t be joining them on the roof. Luckily, I’m big and gruff enough not to be cajoled in to giving it a go and then being a liability once I’m up there. Doesn’t happen often, 2 or 3 times a year.

Me too, done a couple of high rise projects including Lancaster House off the m5 junction 2, nothing too crazy I think about 14 floors is the highest I've gone and when you go that high on simple buildings you end up with mast climbers rather than scaffolding 

I have had the joy of standing on the top of a lift car and going up the 14 floors, that was fun 

Once did the BMAG dome and the number of people trying to break in not for vandalism or theft but simply to try and get up high on the scaffolding and take skyline photos for sites like skyscrapercity was mad 

Days off when you are on nights are strange at night time, so nights off I guess. Missus and her lad both in bed. Im too awake to go to bed. Too tired to do anything meaningful. This is prime time for YouTube rabbit hole adventures. Just spent an hour watching walking videos around towns in Yokohama and the seaside areas. Feeling a bit down tonight. I hate working nights, always feels like your wasting your life away as can’t really do much with your time off. Bit better money I guess.

5 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Days off when you are on nights are strange at night time, so nights off I guess. Missus and her lad both in bed. Im too awake to go to bed. Too tired to do anything meaningful. This is prime time for YouTube rabbit hole adventures. Just spent an hour watching walking videos around towns in Yokohama and the seaside areas. Feeling a bit down tonight. I hate working nights, always feels like your wasting your life away as can’t really do much with your time off. Bit better money I guess.

My missus used to work nights when I first got with her. Used to hate it, especially as she would do overtime which meant doing extra night shifts. 

16 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Episode 4.  Great posts in Villatalk history with absolutely no context. 

From memory we were discussing quiz team names, and I like that one because the quizmaster has to read it out after every round

Â