General Chat

Stevo985

I mentioned a few months back that my cousin had been diagnosed with liver and pancreatic cancer. Well two weeks after she got diagnosed, they told her there was nothing they could do, as it had spread to other parts of the body. She is on chemotherapy which will give her 5-6 months, but she's dying. She's renewing her wedding vows today, as it's what she wanted. It's all been kept quiet, and she only found out last night, so hopefully that will give her some happiness again. Wedding is at 12, then a reception at some concert hall in town. They are then having a fundraiser at the local workingsman club at 7 tonight, which will go on all night. They flew over from Ireland the other day, and it's going to be nice to see family members that I've not seen for years. Should be a great day, but an emotional one too. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Sad 3

On the subject of strange coincidences, one that I always think of is related to R v Dudley & Stephens case in 1884.

I won’t go into loads of detail about the case (although you should read about it - it’s fascinating). Basically the crew of a yacht were shipwrecked and cut adrift in a lifeboat. Eventually they decided to kill and eat one of the survivors. The unfortunate crew member was a cabin boy called Richard Parker.

Now those familiar with “The Life of Pi” will know that the tiger is also called Richard Parker. That’s not the coincidence.

In 1838, 46 years earlier, Edgar Allan Poe published a novel “The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket”. The story includes a shipwreck and a member of the crew being eaten. The name of the person who is eaten is Richard Parker.

Oh and not so much a coincidence but just as added interest, one of the men on trial - Thomas Dudley became the first fatality of the 1900 bubonic plague in Sydney.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Heard a good coincidence story yesterday. 

An old mate of mine, many years ago lost his partner (male, he's gay) to AIDS. He and his partner's mum planted an oak tree (quercus robur) in his memory. Fast forward to this week, and, on the anniversary of the guy's death, he was watching TV, a programme about "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire". The million pound question for the first ever winner was "What would you get if you planted the seed of quercus robur?" My mate, of course, knew it was an oak tree, and was marvelling about the coincidence. Then, the guy on the show got the correct answer, and Tarrant announced that David Edwards had won a million pounds. 

My friend's name is... David Edwards. 

Unbelievable 

34 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You seem to get a bit of trouble at the races. clearings in the woods 

Thugs in suits

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

On the subject of strange coincidences, one that I always think of is related to R v Dudley & Stephens case in 1884.

I won’t go into loads of detail about the case (although you should read about it - it’s fascinating). Basically the crew of a yacht were shipwrecked and cut adrift in a lifeboat. Eventually they decided to kill and eat one of the survivors. The unfortunate crew member was a cabin boy called Richard Parker.

Now those familiar with “The Life of Pi” will know that the tiger is also called Richard Parker. That’s not the coincidence.

In 1838, 46 years earlier, Edgar Allan Poe published a novel “The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket”. The story includes a shipwreck and a member of the crew being eaten. The name of the person who is eaten is Richard Parker.

Oh and not so much a coincidence but just as added interest, one of the men on trial - Thomas Dudley became the first fatality of the 1900 bubonic plague in Sydney.

• Haha 2

Â