General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's nothing malicious, and it's just a product of time moving on

Some things will never come back :(

Try to get MWC on in todays climate. Instagib!

GIF-Al-Bundy.gif

• Haha 1

The other half and I hadn't seen each other over Christmas, so we arranged a couple of nights away for nice food in picturesque locations.

The first place we stayed was really quite upmarket.

There was a course before the amuse-bouche(!), and the French maitre d' effortlessly played the perfect host to people like me (scum), and well heeled diners on the Michelin star trail.

A couple of dishes in one of the waitresses, a nice girl that been explaining the relevance of particular wines to the courses, nearly put my omnivore's platter in front of the veggie gf.

No big deal, happens all the time. I quietly and routinely informed her I was the meat eater.

Her gushing and obsequious apology for not actually quite putting a meat dish in front of the veggie caught me and the gf by surprise.

Half expected her to pull out a cat o nine tails and self flagellate.

What I really wanted to ask was how she got like this?

I can guess.

• Like 1

I've just been for a wee in the whizz palace at work and it STANK of coffee and it was dark yella'.

"ok body, I know what you want.. I know the signs.."

So I'm just enjoying another big black Americano.

It's weird how your body tells you what it needs, innit? 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I've just been for a wee in the whizz palace at work and it STANK of coffee and it was dark yella'.

"ok body, I know what you want.. I know the signs.."

So I'm just enjoying another big black Americano.

It's weird how your body tells you what it needs, innit? 

If I've not consumed enough caffeine to make my hands shake by lunchtime, it throws off my equilibrium. 

55 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Got some closure today regarding my dad. My wife got in touch with him, and he rang her back. According to my missus he was vile on the phone, and said he wants nothing to do with me, and he couldn't give a ****.  Really horrible man. He told my wife never to contact him again, which we certainly won't anyway. She was upset, and dreaded telling me, but I'm more than ok about it. His loss, and I can finally move on after all these years. My mum was a bit upset too, but she said he was a clearing in the woods all those years ago. It's made me more determined to be a better dad, and person. Anyway, life goes on. 

F**k him. 

As you rightly say, his loss mate, not yours. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've been watching it again too since it came onto Netflix.

I must admit that I do think some of the jokes are a bit inappropriate. Not offensive, just the kind of thing that they wouldn't put in there these days. Some of the mild homophobia in the first season in particular, and the lack of diversity.

It's nothing malicious, and it's just a product of time moving on (Season 1 is approaching 25 years old). But there's certainly plenty of stuff in there that you wouldn't find in a mainstream sitcom these days.

My other observation is, despite me being a big fan of the show, Season 1 is quite shit. Certainly the first few episodes.

I agree - I've watched a few episodes for nostalgia and it's aged horribly.

8 hours ago, Rodders said:

I've been re-watching it since it was on Netflix for a bit fo a nostalgia hit of comfy comedy. The idea of being offended by any of the stuff in it, aside from having a perfectly reasonable difference of opinion of it's funnyiness, makes me want to sterilise the youth of this country. Or all vocal clearings in the woods on twitter. Miserable, puritan shits. How the **** **** f***ety **** does Friends OFFEND you? rocket polishers. First they come for your bacon and sausage, now they're coming for your harmless nostalgia hit. **** young people. I'm only 32 and I'm feeling incredible Meldrewy about life.

You're offended by what? I can't eat this? or that? Piss off.

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

No one is offended

The thing I find interesting about this is that, had you asked a random sample of British football supporters in the 1990's at the time of broadcast, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority would have denounced it as sissy shite for women that only their wives or daughters were interested in, and that plenty would have denied ever seeing it. 

Now, it's watched as a 'nostalgia hit' by people who are driven to apoplexy by the thought that some young people somewhere disagrees with it politically :D

m3M5oxG.jpg

On 12/31/2017 at 09:34, Genie said:

They’ve got me into Roblox so we’ve been playing games online together 

As the single hit on the VT search, it's down to you to evaluate plod's proclamation :detect:

• Like 1

Thinking I'm going to completely busk this job interview tomorrow. Zero prep so far

Then again, I know more than the people interviewing me on the majority of the aspects of the job I'm applying for because it's me that does them now

I also do not fear the two other idiots that applied for the job. The fact they applied proves their idiocy

My missus is nagging me to do some prep, she doesn't understand that I'm THE expert in the company. The IT Manager who is interviewing me certainly doesn't understand the design of MY dispatch algorithms, he just implements them from my instructions, he certainly doesn't do Twitter (let alone understand its purpose in the company). He could never write a press release (he's undiagnosed dyslexic imo, spelling and syntax are often beyond his expertise.) and I doubt he's ever put anything in the Street Directory successfully.

The only thing I don't currently do is tell the Police to eff off when they come looking for info, not something I envisage a problem with. No, go and get a court order, I don't care if you have a DPA form, that's just a request, we have no legal obligation to comply. There, that's that done.

I might read up on the new GDPR effective in May to see if I can throw a grenade into the interview but that's about it

First to be interviewed 10am... I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Thinking I'm going to completely busk this job interview tomorrow. Zero prep so far

Then again, I know more than the people interviewing me on the majority of the aspects of the job I'm applying for because it's me that does them now

I also do not fear the two other idiots that applied for the job. The fact they applied proves their idiocy

My missus is nagging me to do some prep, she doesn't understand that I'm THE expert in the company. The IT Manager who is interviewing me certainly doesn't understand the design of MY dispatch algorithms, he just implements them from my instructions, he certainly doesn't do Twitter (let alone understand its purpose in the company). He could never write a press release (he's undiagnosed dyslexic imo, spelling and syntax are often beyond his expertise.) and I doubt he's ever put anything in the Street Directory successfully.

The only thing I don't currently do is tell the Police to eff off when they come looking for info, not something I envisage a problem with. No, go and get a court order, I don't care if you have a DPA form, that's just a request, we have no legal obligation to comply. There, that's that done.

I might read up on the new GDPR effective in May to see if I can throw a grenade into the interview but that's about it

First to be interviewed 10am... I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing

Good luck Gareth

• Like 1

Â