General Chat

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've done it before. And it was a golf :D 

It's very **** hard. And it'll ruin the mattress. but I guess that doesn't matter.

It basically involves folding the mattress in half longways and shoulder barging it into the back of the car until you can close the door.

cheers - nice to know it's a least possible! my concern was the width - it's a king size

13 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's strangely quiet at weekends in the City, but if your accommodation is there, that's not so bad?

Borough Market is just across the bridge, and the Mercato Metropolitano is a bit further down the road.

It's a brewery and food hall in what was a paper factory. The beer is German style and pricey, but good.

Cy_M9pTXUAAn00r-3810510386.jpg.13091acc7f12a85a2fddb0b101ecac95.jpg

There's a Vietnamese restaurant called Rao Deli near the Mercato walking back towards Borough.

We've been a few times and it hasn't disappointed yet.

This is really helpful, thank you. Work will be a standard working day and then compiling reports in the evening, I have no inclination to prop up a Premier Inn bar with people that I have spent 8 hours with, this will suit me well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is really helpful, thank you. Work will be a standard working day and then compiling reports in the evening, I have no inclination to prop up a Premier Inn bar with people that I have spent 8 hours with, this will suit me well. 

Flat Iron (smallish chain) do a reasonable steak near Borough Market

Also if you like Parmesan Cheese definitely get some from the woman who just sells Parmesan Cheese in BM to take home the cave aged vintage stuff is out of this world,

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Dull London. Moorgate, where nothing is open on e the office workers go home. 

Not sure where your going but thats not the case at all 😂

I went there and liverpool street and its been absolutely rammed

City tends to be dead winter time but most places are.

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

You're not miles from Spitalfields either.

Morning coffee whilst sat in a Dray Walk cafe watching peak hipsters walk by to work is entertaining.

Like a freakshow, but more PC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

If you want a bit of culchta, see whats on at the Barbican Center.

London Symphony might be playing and there's usually a play with top drawer casts.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Just read the last 10 pages or so of the Europa Conference League Thread from just before todays draw started.

I was in tears of laughter. VT is priceless at times like this.

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

In what sense ?

It was funny to read everyones reaction to the ridiculously over complex drawer! Was my post confusing?!

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

so we're getting  a new mattress tomorrow. mrs didn't want to pay the £50 to have the old one taken away. reckons we can just fold it up and shove it in the back of my VW golf and take it down the dump. i personally think this is impossible. any thoughts? and ideally tips on how the **** we can squeeze it into my car?

Tried the council?

I was in a similar boat where I couldn't believe the retailer wanted about £50 to take the old one away. The council's bulky waste collection took it for £15

• Thanks 1

I'd be embarrassed about the yellow stains on my mattress! I'll probably have to cut it into small pieces and put in the bin over the course of a few weeks :D 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Tried the council?

I was in a similar boat where I couldn't believe the retailer wanted about £50 to take the old one away. The council's bulky waste collection took it for £15

thanks - didn't know that was a thing, will have a look

edit...had a look on my local council website...£36!

Edited by tomav84

41 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

thanks - didn't know that was a thing, will have a look

edit...had a look on my local council website...£36!

If you have the storage space (garage), have you advertised it for free collection? Mrs F put ours on Facebook Marketplace and it was gone and collected within two days. Ours was king size as well. It’s amazing what people will have when it’s free. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If you have the storage space (garage), have you advertised it for free collection? Mrs F put ours on Facebook Marketplace and it was gone and collected within two days. Ours was king size as well. It’s amazing what people will have when it’s free. 

i don't have the storage space but in any case i couldn't cope with the embarassment of someone picking up our minging old thing to actually use!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Xann said:

Mercato Metropolitano is a bit further down the road.

It's a brewery and food hall in what was a paper factory. The beer is German style and pricey, but good.

Cy_M9pTXUAAn00r-3810510386.jpg.13091acc7f12a85a2fddb0b101ecac95.jpg

Seconded on the Mercato, love that place.  Used to work around the corner in another lifetime and would find any excuse to head there.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 22:12, tomav84 said:

i don't have the storage space but in any case i couldn't cope with the embarassment of someone picking up our minging old thing to actually use!

I've picked up a mattress before for a rented flat because the one in the place was so bad. You might be surprised. Just leave it outside with a sheet still on it or something for a few hours window before you try to dump it and see if anyone comes.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I've picked up a mattress before for a rented flat because the one in the place was so bad. You might be surprised. Just leave it outside with a sheet still on it or something for a few hours window before you try to dump it and see if anyone comes.

sorted in the end. paid someone with a van £25 to take to the dump for me. there's no way it would've fit in my car

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

sorted in the end. paid someone with a van £25 to take to the dump for me. there's no way it would've fit in my car

I'd go check the next street if I were you. No way he's taking that to the tip. 

• Like 3

Â