General Chat

Stevo985

There are prisons that prep people for the outside world.

Prisons with mini shopping malls where the prisoners can learn a trade, earn a little money and spend it in the other units where other prisoners are learning their trade. There are prisons that run restaurants that people from outside the prison can book a table at.

To say he’s too far removed from modern life would be a cop out. I haven’t used in a cash machine since before covid, ancient relative that gets taken shopping on weekends has never used chip n pin, my kids wouldn’t know how to pencil wind a cassette.

The reason must be that they can’t truly trust he won’t be violent and they don’t want to be the ones that believed him and got taken for mugs.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There are prisons that prep people for the outside world.

Prisons with mini shopping malls where the prisoners can learn a trade, earn a little money and spend it in the other units where other prisoners are learning their trade. There are prisons that run restaurants that people from outside the prison can book a table at.

To say he’s too far removed from modern life would be a cop out. I haven’t used in a cash machine since before covid, ancient relative that gets taken shopping on weekends has never used chip n pin, my kids wouldn’t know how to pencil wind a cassette.

The reason must be that they can’t truly trust he won’t be violent and they don’t want to be the ones that believed him and got taken for mugs.

Your last paragraph is what i think it is. But then why do they let paedos out? You just know they are going oi re-offend

It's obvious the fundamental reason is they don't trust that he's capable of turning things around and he'll inevitably get back into criminal activity and they don't to be ones that have him parole just in case.

But I do think there's some legitimate reason for quoting things like he's never used a cash machine. He's been in prison for so long, and spent so much of that in high security wings and solitary that living normally is going to be impossible to adjust to, and he's 70 so it's not like he's going to go get a job. And then when you consider that his history suggests his solution to anything is violence... It won't be happening.

On a similar note to the above.

I’ve been drinking with Dave Gilmour.

I went to school with Chris Martin and Alan Partridge.

I used to live next door to Terry and June.

Actually that last one happened twice.

• Like 3

Gary Barlow works in our accounts team. 

Mariah Carey used to work for an insurer in Birmingham but I'm absolutely certain she used to refer to herself as Marie be of Mariah Carey became famous. 

I've often wondered about the poor bastards named Fred West or Ian Huntley. You've no idea if the name you choose for your child is going to get Hijacked by subsequent events. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've often wondered about the poor bastards named Fred West or Ian Huntley. You've no idea if the name you choose for your child is going to get Hijacked by subsequent events. 

I feel sorry for the people with common sounding names, but their parents gave them a stupid “unique” spelling of it. 

A lifetime of correct people.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is 100% true, I work with someone called Issac Newton (and his avatar in the system is THE Isaac Newton)

These obviously fall into two categories: 

(1) Those who have perfectly unremarkable names before somebody else makes the name famous/infamous, and 

(2) Those parents who quite deliberately choose a 'celebrity name' for their kid 

Isaac Newton clearly falls into the latter category. 

I discovered one of these while doing my family tree research - I had an Auntie Connie, whom I never heard referred to by any other name. But it turns out that she was actually christened Ellaline Constance. Ellaline is an unusual name - but apparently Ellaline Terriss was a popular actress/singer/music hall performer when my grandparents were young, and I'll lay odds that's why they chose it. Pretty much like calling your kid Kylie or Britney nowadays. I bet she hated it when she was at school, and discarded it in favour of her middle name at the first opportunity. 

• Like 1

Just having a read through Heroes and Villains post match Chelsea thread by way of celebration.  I don't go on there much but I'm reminded again how much better VT is. So sterile over there. 

Richard Bransons satellite firm has filed for bankruptcy. 

WTF? 

Isn't he supposed to be some business genius?  What kind of business business plan allows tens of millions of development yet can't afford one single individual launch failure? 

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Not linked to Branson, but it seems as if there is a widespread issue with Virgin Media this morning.

Mine was done until about 10 mins ago and it’s working again

Â