General Chat

Stevo985

Resident nut job on my fb timeline says his sim card is out of his phone and all settings changed. I assume this is related to the emergency warning test today.

There must be a pretty funny conspiracy theory doing the rounds about it which Mr Clever has done his research on.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Resident nut job on my fb timeline says his sim card is out of his phone and all settings changed. I assume this is related to the emergency warning test today.

There must be a pretty funny conspiracy theory doing the rounds about it which Mr Clever has done his research on.

We have had it for many years here,  it is quite a good thing.

The only people who need to be worried are people who have 2nd secret phones in their sock draw or under the bed.  

Or the SNP.

36 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

We have had it for many years here,  it is quite a good thing.

The only people who need to be worried are people who have 2nd secret phones in their sock draw or under the bed.  

Or the SNP.

I’ve been in the US before and had a notification through that system before. It shouldn’t surprise me the conspiracy theorists have latched onto it.

• Like 1

Had it in both Korea and China. I was surprised the UK didn't already have it in place, seems a pretty standard thing to have! 

Was very useful in Korea when I got two minutes warning of an earthquake and could get the kids outside. In China I mostly get warnings about the weather, which are almost always unnecessary. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Good news is in the event of a life or death emergency, they'll be fine first ones to go. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just a warning on the message test. If you look at it on your smartphone will take a picture of your face and send it to the government and someone in the cabinet will wank over it.

Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to view it with my sex face on. 

• Like 1

Happened early on my wife's phone, late on mine and supposedly many didn't get an alert at all.

Can't see that it matters much. Not like we get earthquakes or volcanoes here, and if an asteroid or nuclear weapon is about to hit us then it won't do any good anyway.

Happened on my phone dead on 3pm. Then work phone 2 mins later.

The second one made me jump! I was fearful of an impending alien invasion.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Good news is in the event of a life or death emergency, they'll be fine first ones to go. 

this was another of his posts today

first thing that came to my mind......... covid is bullshit, climate change is bullshit I don't recycle I don't do carbon foot print BS and I won't be doing this either. As far as I'm concerned **** the government 😎

He’s scared of everything but is adamant everyone is scared and they shouldn’t be. He also puts out loads of angry posts but then also takes aim at people who are easily offended. He’s genuinely too thick to realise. Guess which team he follows 😂

What did this sound like at this afternoon's football matches? 

I'd have thought 30,000-odd phones all bleeping at the same time would be quite noticeable. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'd have thought 30,000-odd phones all bleeping at the same time would be quite noticeable. 

I was watching my lad play. It seemed like the alert came through in batches, possibly by network provider? My phone buzzed about 3 minutes after most other people.

Just now, Genie said:

My phone buzzed about 3 minutes after most other people.

Ha! I received nothing (giffgaff network, so same as O2) and I definitely had a signal down here in sunny Portsmouth. 

Hopefully the government will be able to monetise this and allow people to pay for a premium service where they get the nod of impending nuclear strike slightly earlier than the commoners. Say, a tenner for every extra minute. Something like that could raise quite a lot next yearto be put in to some sort of ex MP benevolent fund.

• Haha 1

Up in that there London today , still the finest city in the world … 

The just stop oil protestors in Westminster square were all there clapping and cheering on the marathon runners and trafalgar square had a St George’s day celebration complete with German oompah bands and Spanish food retailers :) 

E3122A0B-5F0C-452D-9378-3877941E2560.jpeg

1FA94D7F-FBFF-4A29-9CFE-1CB823117699.jpeg

2B45A4E1-3129-49EA-A35F-1525469AAF7F.jpeg

76372755-3486-4C3D-8C65-2F39E664E701.jpeg

3B09CFAC-219A-413C-9CF3-6FB0C1094AE9.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Have you ever tried to get a signal at a football match?  :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I was watching my lad play. It seemed like the alert came through in batches, possibly by network provider? My phone buzzed about 3 minutes after most other people.

I was in China town , most of the people look a.bit bemused , but it was still quite cool hearing them all go off and seeing everyone simultaneously checking their phones 

• Like 1

Â