General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Its coming back on apparently, they must love Baarrymore to let him have it back, I mean how old is he now, like 70 or something. 

You really should believe everything you read, the police have even offered a £20,000 reward for information following the "Body in the Pool" investigation on Ch4 earlier this year. There isn't a TV company that would be stupid enough.

German colleague of mine (isolating in his motherland) mentioned earlier on the WhatsApp group he got his broken work laptop sorted today. Someone replied, don’t you have anything better to do today? He said it’s not a holiday in Germany, not sure why though :lol: 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

German colleague of mine (isolating in his motherland) mentioned earlier on the WhatsApp group he got his broken work laptop sorted today. Someone replied, don’t you have anything better to do today? He said it’s not a holiday in Germany, not sure why though :lol: 

I've had to explain it to my wife this morning and then also again several times during the course of the day to make sure she fully understands 

We never really talk about it, I think she's been taught about it but had no interest in history at school so doesn't really care for a lot of it, think the only thing any of her family have dropped out in conversation about it was walking round nuremburg rally grounds she told me her deceased gran was 14 years older than her deceased grandad which I found strange... The majority of the rest of the men in her town were all killed... 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've had to explain it to my wife this morning and then also again several times during the course of the day to make sure she fully understands 

We never really talk about it, I think she's been taught about it but had no interest in history at school so doesn't really care for a lot of it, think the only thing any of her family have dropped out in conversation about it was walking round nuremburg rally grounds she told me her deceased gran was 14 years older than her deceased grandad which I found strange... The majority of the rest of the men in her town were all killed... 

I’d love to have a serious conversation with a German about how they are told the war played out. Obviously ours and theirs will differ a lot, with the truth somewhere in the middle.

I briefly discussed it with a German colleague from a previous place I worked (after a lot of beers) and he was very quick to tell me that Hitler was Austrian.

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

Germans in Berlin are celebrating a public holiday to mark the end of the Second World War for the very first time.

Indy

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hmmm, seems like he isn’t sure what’s going on then.

78-D3420-F-9-D50-4-F8-F-8686-EB54665-C23

Isn't that the same guy making both comments?

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No, in a group all respondents, other than “you” appear on the left. 

Edited by Seat68

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Actually @Stevo985 is right, the day’s beer, wine and kissing of neighbours and random strangers got the better of me.

It was someone else’s computer that got fixed, but was the German guy in Germany who said it’s not a holiday over there (which may not be accurate according to the Indy).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Yeah but there’s no name or number at the top of the second message which means it’s the same sender as the one above

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes, thats what I thought. 

Perhaps he was just being sarcastic. 

I think they celebrated VE day in Berlin... well, celebrate may be a stretch. Acknowledge the end of Naziism may be a better description 

They may bring it back for 100 years but last week was May day, next week there is something on the Thursday (and a lot of employers, mine included, give you the Friday off) I can't see them giving us another one every year and if they did then it's 30 years since the unification this year so it'll be that that sticks 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They may bring it back for 100 years but last week was May day, next week there is something on the Thursday (and a lot of employers, mine included, give you the Friday off) I can't see them giving us another one every year and if they did then it's 30 years since the unification this year so it'll be that that sticks 

Germany has loads of feiertage/bank holidays doesn’t it. It used to anyway?

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Germany has loads of feiertage/bank holidays doesn’t it. It used to anyway?

Yes we do :D

There are different ones for each region too, I get days off for carnival but I don't think Berlin does, have about 9 or 10 in total this year, they also do it on the day of the event, may day next year is a Saturday so I won't get an extra day off but if it falls on a Tuesday or a Thursday then I will get 2 days off for it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yes we do :D

There are different ones for each region too, I get days off for carnival but I don't think Berlin does, have about 9 or 10 in total this year, they also do it on the day of the event, may day next year is a Saturday so I won't get an extra day off but if it falls on a Tuesday or a Thursday then I will get 2 days off for it 

Do you have to take the bridging day out of your annual leave allowance or is it classed a statuary holiday?

Â