General Chat

Stevo985

15 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I'm in the market for a new kettle. 

What am I looking for in a new kettle?

For me it’s noise level. Pre-pandemic I’m making a brew for in the car at about 5:45am. 
We have an expensive one that matches the rest of the kitchen but makes more noise than Concorde. Swapped to a cheapo plastic Argos basic which is much quieter.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I'm in the market for a new kettle. 

What am I looking for in a new kettle?

Dr John C Taylor could advise.

It’s been calculated that over two billion of my bi-metal blades – used in thermostats to switch off kettles – have been produced since their invention in the 1970s.

• Thanks 1

Of speed, energy efficiency and noise, I’d have speed in bronze medal position.

But then I tend to make a cup of coffee and wander off for 10 minutes before I drink it. I think I actually just crave the idea of a coffee, as opposed to the actual need of a caffeine hit. We’ve just gone a week with only decaf, and it was fine.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Of speed, energy efficiency and noise, I’d have speed in bronze medal position.

But then I tend to make a cup of coffee and wander off for 10 minutes before I drink it. I think I actually just crave the idea of a coffee, as opposed to the actual need of a caffeine hit. We’ve just gone a week with only decaf, and it was fine.

Decaf? Ugh. Then again, if you're making 'coffee' with a kettle no wonder you don't want to drink it. 

(Sorry, this will probably start VT coffee snob wars again). 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Decaf? Ugh. Then again, if you're making 'coffee' with a kettle no wonder you don't want to drink it. 

(Sorry, this will probably start VT coffee snob wars again). 

We’ve got instant, we’ve a coffee maker with frother / steamer arm! Plus we’ve got caffetiers, however you spell it.

We’ve got Tesco decaf and we’ve got American import beans and everything in between. The nipper brought home the stock from a coffee shop the day it closed.

I like a strong coffee, caffeine as a ‘hit’ doesn’t appear to do much to me.

Blind tasting is the only way to go, you’ll be surprised what you like on a blind tasting. 

Extremely quiet electric kettle Russell Hobbs Buckingham 20460-70

Our state-of-the-art Russell Hobbes Buckingham kettle has a special technology for silent boiling, which makes it up to 75% quieter than our standard electric kettles without such technology. It is a great solution for early risers or night birds that do not want to disturb the peace of the family.

With a capacity of 1.7 liters, the Russell Hobbs Buckingham 20460-70 jug is large enough to make six cups at once. There is also a precision spout that will not spill on the jug or table. In addition, our jug is fast - boiling a glass (235ml) of water takes only 50 seconds.

There, I think I've found it. It's also available behind the iron curtain.

Thank you for all your input.

• Like 1

What is a good life for an electric kettle? Had mine 12 years (when I moved into a rental property) and used it daily. 

53 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I've been on the decaf tea for a month or so. No difference in taste from what I can tell

• Like 2

Going off on a kettle tangent - I once had enquiries at a well known hotel chain who had just had the bolshoi ballet company using them, which came up in conversation.

the manageress told me that the ballerinas only ate tinned sardines and frankfurters in their rooms and used the hotel room kettle to boil the sausages in! 🤮

never made a brew in a hotel room since 😅

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

We’ve got instant, we’ve a coffee maker with frother / steamer arm! Plus we’ve got caffetiers, however you spell it.

We’ve got Tesco decaf and we’ve got American import beans and everything in between. The nipper brought home the stock from a coffee shop the day it closed.

I like a strong coffee, caffeine as a ‘hit’ doesn’t appear to do much to me.

Blind tasting is the only way to go, you’ll be surprised what you like on a blind tasting. 

I'm the same with caffeine. I don't know if it's from drinking tea from a very early age but I don't really feel like the amount of caffeine you get from a cup of coffee or a tea does anything to me. I'll regularly drink a mug of tea before bed and don't notice any difference in sleeping.

Decaf versions of drinks seem pretty much the same to me. No discernible difference.

(oh and the coffee snobbery annoys me too. Just drink what tastes nice to you. I have Costa all the time. I'm sure it's looked down on by coffee snobs. **** it. I like how it tastes.)

• Like 2

I might have told this one in here before, but telling the cats breaking the cabinet story in another thread reminds me of a story about my step uncles. They were teenagers back in the 70s and my grandfolks went out one night and my older step uncle decided to rope his younger brother into going out joy riding in my grandad's 2cv.  Rather inevitably he crashed it. Driving it into an ornamental cannon statue thing in their town (minehead) and stoving the front drivers side wing in. They limped it back, backed it in the garage and went to bed shitting themselves about what would happen when my grandad found out. 

My grandad didn't notice as he opened the garage door and drove it off the drive in the morning just as a bloke in a motorbike drove straight into him on the same side. My step uncles never heard a thing about it as the insurance sorted it all out and the motorbike chap was fine. 

They confessed years later when my grandad was on the way out and neither he, nor my step Nan believed them.

Ah, the 2CV. My missus fancied one when we were just kids. There was one for sale at a price we could afford in Newport so we set off to see it. By chance, around the corner from where someone was selling theirs privately, there was a Citroen dealership with a 2CV on a sort of revolving platform.

We went in and explained we couldn’t afford a new one, but wanted to see what they should look like before we went and saw the one down the road. The sales guy was charming, said to take all the time we wanted and give him a shout if we wanted anything. then he left us to it. Inside the car, there was a sort of D shaped pull chord so i thought it would be good to pop the bonnet and see the engine.

I pulled on it, not much happened. I pulled a little harder, nothing much happened. So I gave it might best shot and this time the D Ring came out about a foot and then just sort of flopped to the floor of the car without the bonnet releasing. ‘C’mon, we’re going, now.’ We waved at the dealer, said thanks and left.

Got to where the guy was selling one on the side of the road. First thing he shows us, you can alter the pitch of the front lights by gently rotating this D handle...

Bought a VW Beetle about a week later.

• Haha 1

On 10/05/2020 at 16:23, AVFC_Hitz said:

There, I think I've found it. It's also available behind the iron curtain.

Thank you for all your input.

I might be too late here, and don't have any experience of this particular kettle, but I had a Russell Hobbs one which also had a 'precision spout' that supposedly prevents any spills, and I've seriously never known anything that pisses water all over the place quite like it. Unless you wanted to dribble out your tea at the most ridiculous possible angle, it would spaff boiling hot water all over the **** place. I couldn't actually believe that it was specifically marketed as having a no-spill spout as I'd never had a kettle that indiscriminately discharged quite so much liquid as that one did. Puddles everywhere. Piece of shit kettle.

Â