General Chat

Stevo985

Just spent an hour reading news websites and twitter. The world is a thoroughly depressing and selfish place nowadays. 

• Like 2

Pretty mundane topic, but thoughts on ceiling fans?

I can't justify an air con unit for the few hot nights a year we have, but next door now have a screaming little shit that wakes me up if I have the window open, so I'm thinking of installing one in the bedroom, if they're actually effective and not too noisy.

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Pretty mundane topic, but thoughts on ceiling fans?

I can't justify an air con unit for the few hot nights a year we have, but next door now have a screaming little shit that wakes me up if I have the window open, so I'm thinking of installing one in the bedroom, if they're actually effective and not too noisy.

Maybe just a stand alone fan? Only need it about 10 days a year and can then stick it back in the garage/loft/shed.

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe just a stand alone fan? Only need it about 10 days a year and can then stick it back in the garage/loft/shed.

I sleep with a stand alone fan every night of the year. It helps me sleep, blocking out all noises. The constant hum of it is very helpful. And, also, when I'm on nights, means I can sleep during the day without opening the windows so my 3 'screaming little shits' 🙄 don't wake me up. 

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I sleep with a stand alone fan every night of the year. It helps me sleep, blocking out all noises. The constant hum of it is very helpful. And, also, when I'm on nights, means I can sleep during the day without opening the windows so my 3 'screaming little shits' 🙄 don't wake me up. 

Could possibly combine it with a timer plug so it goes off after couple of hours to save electricity during the night.

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I could, but I've done it for years now and it scares me the thought of waking up without it.

We had a ceiling fan in the bedroom of an old house and it was nice during the hot days. Only downside is the fact lots of dust gathers on top of the blades so if you use it for the first time after about 9 months without cleaning it there will be a dust storm all over the bed.

I was going to go with a ceiling one so it affects both sides of the room, rather than blowing over just one side of the bed - if I put it at the foot of the bed I'm definitely going to clearing in the woods my knee against it in the night. I also thought they were quieter?

54 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

This post should come with a content warning for any Korean readers.

• Haha 2

I've just had a quick look into on topic for the first time in a while. 

It's worse than the Generic Virus thread. 

attack bonk GIF

Edited by sidcow

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

FTFY

there are some people in on topic who seem genuinely very unhappy in their life and VT is merely providing a vent 

Yeah, sorry about that, I'll try to reign it in 😉

• Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 20:59, Xela said:

Just spent an hour reading news websites and twitter. The world is a thoroughly depressing and selfish place nowadays. 

That's just your opinion and frankly I don't give a shit what you think. 

Edited by sidcow

4 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Same 

Well, not quite, I have a desk fan on my bedside table. Have it on every night. I like the noise it makes, the clicks and the clanks. I can't sleep in silence, I need background noise. 

Â