General Chat

Stevo985

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

From my experience English (and North Americans) don't really drink strong coffee. Wherever I've been it's been pretty weak.

Sure got your tea down to perfection, but coffee ? Not so much. 

The Greeks know how to make a coffee. You can stand a spoon up in it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The Greeks know how to make a coffee. You can stand a spoon up in it. 

Spain too, I’ve had some proper light headed moments after coffee in Spain.

• Like 1

I watched the 1987 FA Cup final yesterday and the associated documentaries/clips on Youtube afterwards. It was the first FA Cup Final I can remember. 

What blows my mind is that Coventry's win is closer in time to Villa's 57 win than it is to today. I can't catch my breath at that. Time is a funny thing!

The difference between the 50's and the 80's look huge. I can still relate to the 80's today. The 50's however seem like a different world.

• Like 2

On 13/05/2020 at 10:20, KenjiOgiwara said:

From my experience English (and North Americans) don't really drink strong coffee. Wherever I've been it's been pretty weak.

You should see the thick liquid that comes out of my french press, it is not weak

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

I watched the 1987 FA Cup final yesterday and the associated documentaries/clips on Youtube afterwards. It was the first FA Cup Final I can remember. 

What blows my mind is that Coventry's win is closer in time to Villa's 57 win than it is to today. I can't catch my breath at that. Time is a funny thing!

The difference between the 50's and the 80's look huge. I can still relate to the 80's today. The 50's however seem like a different world.

I can - just about - remember the 1950s (I was born in 1954). And yet I sort of agree with you. In my mind, the 50s were pretty much an extension of the 30s and 40s. The 60s and 70s were the 'hinge point' of my life, and everything from the 80s onwards is more or less 'now'. I find impossible to think of the 90s as being in any way 'the old days'. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

On 10/05/2020 at 16:11, chrisp65 said:

We’ve got instant, we’ve a coffee maker with frother / steamer arm! Plus we’ve got caffetiers, however you spell it.

We’ve got Tesco decaf and we’ve got American import beans and everything in between. The nipper brought home the stock from a coffee shop the day it closed.

I like a strong coffee, caffeine as a ‘hit’ doesn’t appear to do much to me.

Blind tasting is the only way to go, you’ll be surprised what you like on a blind tasting. 

I could fill an Internet with blind tasting anecdotes ,  (ever had to pay couples  to have sex on the condition they post the used condom back to us afterwards ) but instead as it’s topical and I’m quite proud of how much it annoys him , I’ll go with a repeat of a coffee story I shared on here a few years back ...

guy I work with has an excel spreadsheet that he keeps for his coffee with optimum water temperature the works , he gets all these weird beans delivered and spends about 25 mins making his coffee in the morning ....Weighing stuff, grinding away and measuring the temperature with a thermometer ...   he will tell me about where the bean came from and the whole process and that it’s so good it should be drunk neat with no milk or sugar , he’ll then offer me a cup .... which I promptly add milk and sugar to and whack it in the microwave for 30 seconds for good measure 

hearing him weep as I walk out the kitchen is one of the reasons I go to work ... the other reason being my ongoing war with the cleaning woman who keeps lining  the coffee , tea and sugar jars up in the same order on the kitchen worktop and my need to rearrange them in a random order each day until she admits defeat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 13/05/2020 at 10:20, KenjiOgiwara said:

The Pacific Northwest seems to have some good quality coffee from my experience.

Which is ironic as it's also the birthplace of Starbucks.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

The Pacific Northwest seems to have some good quality coffee from my experience.

You say that but then it makes more sense when you see the quote:

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

On 10/05/2020 at 17:02, chrisp65 said:

Always put it close to a toaster so it has someone to talk to.

Never cum in your own kettle. Just holiday kettles. Even then, only on the very last day. Never go too early with the cumming in the kettle prank.

And also, never do it just after its been boiled. A friend told me this once and it has always been a top piece of advice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not terribly ironic, actually, when you think about it.  Starbucks and one or two of other roasters/sellers actually started the coffee culture in Seattle.  When I moved to Seattle in '84 they had at most a handful of stores and very much had the feel of a small, independent coffee shop.  The coffee was good and flavorful.   Even the McStarbucks of today is miles ahead of what you would get pretty much anywhere in the US outside of San Francisco, Seattle and small pockets of some big cities in the in the mid-'80's.

• Like 1

We did a friends quiz last night and one question was very controversial. It was what colour is mayfair on a monopoly board. I and a few others put purple but the quiz master said it was dark blue!

How the hell is this dark blue? What colour is everyone seeing?

20200520_195752.jpg

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We did a friends quiz last night and one question was very controversial. It was what colour is mayfair on a monopoly board. I and a few others put purple but the quiz master said it was dark blue!

How the hell is this dark blue? What colour is everyone seeing?

20200520_195752.jpg

That’s dark blue. Without question. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

That’s dark blue. Without question. 

But there is already blue early on the board after the browns? Why would they dk lighg blue or dark blue?

That to me is purple all day long!

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

But there is already blue early on the board after the browns? Why would they dk lighg blue or dark blue?

That to me is purple all day long!

Bit too posh for you mate... get back to the Old Kent Road ;) 

• Haha 3

Â