General Chat

Stevo985

I had a spate years back of my wife and daughter buying me random Christmas presents to the point I took the hit and told them to stop buying me tat. Which now I am coming to redecorate the hall I have a signed photo from the cast of a show I quite liked but as a result of them liking it. Nothing more. Its a signed Photo of Ellen Muth of the TV series Dead Like Me. Its had a good innings out of politeness but that shit is being binned. 

AmsCif2.jpg

**** sake. 

On 18/04/2020 at 11:12, Genie said:

How long until TikTok is shut down? The videos I’ve seen on Facebook seem to be exclusively young girls, many must be close to or under 16 wearing very little, shaking their tits.
It just seems to be a platform for people to perv on young girls.

Was an article on BBC website earlier about the first TikTok user with 50 million followers. She's a 15yo US girl who dances in crop tops (judging by the still photo in the article)

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I had a spate years back of my wife and daughter buying me random Christmas presents to the point I took the hit and told them to stop buying me tat. Which now I am coming to redecorate the hall I have a signed photo from the cast of a show I quite liked but as a result of them liking it. Nothing more. Its a signed Photo of Ellen Muth of the TV series Dead Like Me. Its had a good innings out of politeness but that shit is being binned. 

AmsCif2.jpg

**** sake. 

Mandy Patinkin!

Even during lockdown there seems to be no end to knife crime.

Smethwick yesterday as well as Marsten Green I think? Videos all over social media of it.

Bring back to bloody death penalty, only way to deter them now. Prison isn't a threat.

16 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Smethwick yesterday as well as Marsten Green I think? Videos all over social media of it.

Bring back to bloody death penalty, only way to deter them now. Prison isn't a threat.

Except all of the evidence that shows the death penalty literally isn’t a deterrent. 

That’s before you get to the moral reasons behind it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Look at the USA, death penalty and some VERY hard prisons, doesn’t bring down these kinds of violent and murdering crimes.

Edit: Stevo best me to it.

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

A one-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy have been stabbed to death in east London. 

BBC

I've seen the video of the guy being stabbed in Smethwick, the strike itself is a flash out of nowhere, its so quick and his immediate reaction is like shock, he doesn't even seem to realise what's happened to him and then a second later it hits him, then another second later he hits the floor dead

I think that almost powerfully symbolises the entire action, its so quick and without realising what it is they've actually done

the answer starts at home, you cant rely on or blame the police or the judicial system or prisons or the tories with youth centre closures or schools, I don't know when it became so hard to teach kids "just don't be a word removed" 

and I would say seeing the video on twitter and then looking at some posts, the stabbing is obviously shocking....but the racism that came with it is mind blowing! its seemingly a crime that is exclusive to the black and Asian communities and the real answer to knife crime is white power

Edited by villa4europe

I don't think you'll ever stop people being horrible, because people have these traits in them from millions of years evolution. 

With something as accessible as a knife, with the right triggers anyone could do it. 

Bravado, testosterone, culture, pressure, poverty, desire, envy, jealousy, hatred, the want to be accepted into certain social groups - it all leads to these things continually happening in times of peace.

With the current system we live in, with an unfair distribution of wealth and power - We'll never stop stabbings, shootings, attacks from happening - people are flawed by design and society is something we all unconsciously accept.  Mental health and other things I've listed will just ensure that there will be some people unable to judge and consider their actions. 

The person who did this will live with the consequences and probably won't show much remorse for it. 

I haven't seen the videos (Won't be trying to see them either), but you can work on social togetherness, you can occupy people's minds, you can set things up and make the world as perfect as possible and yet you still won't be able to fully end violent crimes. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't think you'll ever stop people being horrible, because people have these traits in them from millions of years evolution. 

There can be little doubt that psychopathic tendencies have been part of the successful survival strategies of our ancestors, and that's why we still carry them.

However the same qualities that make them good survivors makes them absolutely shit leaders. Yet they end up wielding power because they stop at nothing.

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

There can be little doubt that psychopathic tendencies have been part of the successful survival strategies of our ancestors, and that's why we still carry them.

However the same qualities that make them good survivors makes them absolutely shit leaders. Yet they end up wielding power because they stop at nothing.

Absolutely.  You only have to see the world's richest men, striving for more money (ergo power) to see that it never really stops.  For what it's worth, I actually think Bill Gates is an exception to the rule.. in a way. 

No doubt he wants Microsoft to remain top dog and will do everything in his power to ensure that's true, but on a humanitarian level, he doesn't seem as cold as Jeff Bezos for example.  What does someone who is worth $145b do?  He still doesn't provide good working conditions for the ants holding him up in the air.  

But competitiveness is probably the driver for it all.  

The guy stabbing another guy doesn't want to give up anything, which is why he stabs someone, because he can't be seen as backing down. 

There's a lot to be said for contentedness, I'm never fully content.  I always want a bigger house or whatever - it's a fallacy, but at least I'm aware of it.  Self awareness and knowing your limits and downfalls is something a lot of people could/should learn.   

Â