General Chat

Stevo985

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

just burped much much louder than anticipated...

Happened to me with a fart in the park on Sunday afternoon.  I nipped along to read my book in the sunshine, thought I could squeeze an SBV out but it was a proper loud one, and I got some dirty looks from a couple sitting on a park bench.

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair, it sounds like your bollocking would have been equally as disturbing. 

Possibly, but for only a fraction of the time.

7 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

It's hot today and I'm sitting here with a mug of coffee. I'm a mug.

But, but surely it's supposed to 'cool you down'?

32 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

But, but surely it's supposed to 'cool you down'?

That drives me bonkers. I don't get how filling your stomach with hot liquid is going to cool you down. That heat is going to transfer through your body. It's going to warm it up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

... I don't get how filling your stomach with hot liquid is going to cool you down. That heat is going to transfer through your body. It's going to warm it up.

It's because of science. It makes you sweat, which cools you down.

If you fill one of those ice cube maker trays with warm water and another with cold water from the cold tap, and put them both in a freezer, the one with the warm water in it will freeze first.

science law.

• Like 1

Right, but I'm not an ice cube. Yeah sweating cools you down, but you're not going to notice the effects any more than usual because it's already bloody hot and you're already sweating. You will however notice the effects of drinking an ice cold drink as opposed to a boiling hot one.

Just now, Phumfeinz said:

Right, but I'm not an ice cube. Yeah sweating cools you down, but you're not going to notice the effects any more than usual because it's already bloody hot and you're already sweating. You will however notice the effects of drinking an ice cold drink as opposed to a boiling hot one.

One person using science and the other using feelings. There's only one way to resolve this....

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's because of science. It makes you sweat, which cools you down.

If you fill one of those ice cube maker trays with warm water and another with cold water from the cold tap, and put them both in a freezer, the one with the warm water in it will freeze first.

science law.

I thought I'd read somewhere that that was because the warm tray melted the ice lining the freezer, and thus made a better contact with the freezer plate. Whereas the cold one was insulated by the crust of ice, so took longer. If you put them both in a fully defrosted 'clean' freezer, the cold one freezes first. 

Or maybe I've just misremembered it...

Yep, coffee (unlike tea, beer, etc.) is guaranteed to have me busting for a piss within ten minutes of drinking it. No effect on bowels, though. 

Â